+ Reply to Thread

Best And Basic SD Card Uses...

I tried a search but the function doesn't allow for the term "SD" as it's under 3 characters.

Anyway, what do YOU use the SD card for besides .mp3's.

I still don't know if I should bother getting one.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

A previous post suggested using "SD*" for that search.

HTH
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

7135 SD Card FAQ

Programs, databases, and documents -- lots of stuff can be stored on the card. Enjoy!

If its important to you to have the ability to recover from data loss or a hard reset away from your PC the SD card is just the thing. If used only for backup the smallest (cheapest) one would suffice.

-Quick

After reading a lot of the posts on this site, I just decided to jump in and get a SD card. After shoping around I soon discovered that the local markets only have low end cards (slow read/write speeds), so I decide to purchase one from Costco - $65 for 246 meg SanDisk. I wouldn't recommend spending to much money for cards that are not high performers.

rr

Re: Best And Basic SD Card Uses...

Originally posted by RUYORK
    I tried a search but the function doesn't allow for the term "SD" as it's under 3 characters.

Anyway, what do YOU use the SD card for besides .mp3's.

I still don't know if I should bother getting one.
    Here's my 2 cents on the usefulness of an SD card (besides MP3s):

1) On-board backup.

2) Ebooks (especially large ones w/lots of maps, graphics, etc.)

3) Picture library. I now carry a 32MB card (very cheap) that has just favorite photo albums (family pics while on vacation + to show others on the fly).

4) File sharing. Combined with a SanDisk Cruzer, you can copy files from any Windows laptop, and view/edit them with the right Palm app, and/or email them using an email client that supports attachments (like SnapperMail).

5) Similar to #4, if you have a digital camera that uses SD cards, you can snap a pic, take the SD card out, put it in the 7135, and view/edit/email it, without ever booting up a laptop. While the "camera phone" comercials show the frivolous fun uses for this, I've found this invaluable for business use, normally to snap pix of a slide pitch that I can't get a copy of otherwise, or of a white board that has good ideas on it that I want to capture and distribute to team members on the fly.

6) Someday, to copy my Tivo shows onto the SD card (via the Cruzer?) to take my recorded shows with me. (Using a self-constructed PVR on your desktop or laptop, and Kinoma, this can be done already; I just can't part with my Tivo and deal with the setup hassle yet.)

Hope this helps!
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

I use mine for any data portions for the programs that tend to be large, such as dictionary database file, bible database file, and by far the largest part of my 256MB SD card is for various media: jpeg photos, mp3 audio files, and movies/sitcoms converted for Kinoma Player. I don't think I could do much without the SD card. It wouldn't be much use as a mp3 player, photo viewer, or personal theater anyway (all the fun apps!). I wish the 512MB SD cards were about half the price, I could really use one!

Originally posted by kada
    I don't think I could do much without the SD card. It wouldn't be much use as a mp3 player, photo viewer, or personal theater anyway (all the fun apps!). I wish the 512MB SD cards were about half the price, I could really use one!
    Definitely... expansion is something I'll never do without again. And I also can't wait for the prices on 512MB cards to drop
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Definitely... expansion is something I'll never do without again. And I also can't wait for the prices on 512MB cards to drop
    Or how about a 4GB card.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03...k1gbsdcard.asp

Drooling already.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

Ditto. Say, has anyone ever seen a web site that shows the chronology of price drops for various memory cards? It'd be interesting to try to guess WHEN 512mb cards will become reasonably priced (sub $100, IMHO).

Originally posted by Robert K.

Originally posted by Steve B.
    Or how about a 4GB card.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03...k1gbsdcard.asp

Drooling already.

Hey, thanks for that link. 512MB for $170 sometime this quarter? Now that's starting to come in range. I guess if I spent $70 for my 256MB, then 512MB for $170 is not bad at all, especially for their introductory price. Although, 256MB is now only $49 at ecost.com (with rebate on Lexar)...

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    Ditto. Say, has anyone ever seen a web site that shows the chronology of price drops for various memory cards? It'd be interesting to try to guess WHEN 512mb cards will become reasonably priced (sub $100, IMHO).
    Good question... I'd like to be able to schedule (approximately) those purchases in DateBk5 on my 7135
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    yeah, the problem with the 1.0GB SD is that if you want to load the mp3 player you need to do so approximately 4 hours before you actually want to use it
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

Ecost.com is having a one day sale on the cruzer with 256sd card for 66.00
    Cruzer Portable USB Drive w/ FREE 256MB SD Card

Just thought you guys might like to know.

do you guys think the cruzer is worth having for somebody who wont be traveling much? It seems like it would just be slightly more convenient than having to put the phone in the cradle to load any mp3's or images.

And a Lexar 256mb SD card = $47 after rebate

w/ Cruzer = $66

worth it?

Well worth it, and not necessarily just for travellers. I travel rarely, and the value to me is the ability to transfer pics directly from my digital camera to my PC w/out any add'l software, and to grab large files from people in meetings and conferences very quickly and conveniently (and discreetly). Like a small, large capacity, expandable, and portable floppy disk.
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

I never used an SD card before a week ago. Bought a Cruzer & 256 SD card for $67 (thanks to the info on the forum). I could never live without it again! Have 6 albums of MP3's on it. Thinking of buying another. It is SO easy to load files with this. Anyone hear of any plans to put this technology into cars instead of CDs? They're so small & versatile I find them amazing.

Originally posted by LittleJ09
    do you guys think the cruzer is worth having for somebody who wont be traveling much? It seems like it would just be slightly more convenient than having to put the phone in the cradle to load any mp3's or images.

And a Lexar 256mb SD card = $47 after rebate

w/ Cruzer = $66

worth it?
    Yes, well worth it. Loading stuff via the cradle is way slow. 256MB doesn't sound like a lot by today's standards, but if you're going to make any real use of it, you'll definitely want the exponential increase in loading speed.

Originally posted by sputnik
    yeah, the problem with the 1.0GB SD is that if you want to load the mp3 player you need to do so approximately 4 hours before you actually want to use it
    Not with PalmNut's Bebop MP3 player. It's in beta testing now, and release is still a little ways off, but I'll you, it is super fast to load! There is a thread on it on this board.