+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-18-2003
    Posts
    17

    Binaural headsets

    Does anyone have experience with Binaural Headsets and the Kyocera 7135? Which ones are good?
    My understanding is that with binaural headsets, you can get mono-sound into both ears, allowing for much clearer sound during phone calls.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User dwdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2001
    Location
    Metro Washington D.C. area
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: Binaural headsets

    Originally posted by eaw7100
    Does anyone have experience with Binaural Headsets and the Kyocera 7135? Which ones are good?
    My understanding is that with binaural headsets, you can get mono-sound into both ears, allowing for much clearer sound during phone calls.
    Never tried them, but it sounds dangerous to me. When you are driving you should keep one ear completely open in order to be able to hear a siren which is signalling an oncoming emergency vehicle traveling at high speed.
    Dave

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2002
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    264
    My experience with binaural headsets is that if the source matterial being played back, or in your case listened to, is not binaural, then it will sound out of phase or generally out of sync.

    I agree with dwood, however, that while driving, one ear should remain open for safe driving.
    Audio_***** :)
    6035-7135-Treo 650

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-14-2002
    Posts
    821

    Re: Re: Binaural headsets

    Originally posted by dwdod
    Never tried them, but it sounds dangerous to me. When you are driving you should keep one ear completely open in order to be able to hear a siren which is signalling an oncoming emergency vehicle traveling at high speed.
    Or the horn of the semi thats about to run over you...

    I thought binaural had to do with the acoustic effect that your head (bones and tissue) have on how you hear sounds. I.e. if sound is coming from your right then your left ear will hear it a bit later than your right and somewhat frequency altered. A binaural recording reproduces this effect when listened to with earphones.
    I didn't think the earphones had anything to do with it. I know there are some earphone amps that employ an attenuated, crossover (left<->right) with delay to compensate for earphones. This is a compromise towards binaural recordings which are intended to only be listened to through earphones. I wasn't aware that there was a difference in the earphones themselves for binaural recordings? did eaw7100 mean monaural (monophonic) earphones?

    -Quick

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-14-2003
    Posts
    27
    Wouldn't mono sound into both ears still be monaural sound?

    My understanding of binaural recording is that it's stereo sound, but the recording mics are placed only the same distance apart as your ears. You listen through headphones and it's claimed to be the most natural listening experience.
    "One good word is worth a thousand
    pictures."

  6. #6
    Registered User hulsmsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2003
    Posts
    167
    Using a headset that covers both ears is not legal, kinda like using a walkman cause your stereo in your beater is not working.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-18-2003
    Posts
    17

    Binaural Headsets

    Am I correct to understand (based on the above replies) that binaural headsets (i.e. Plantronics H61) will not work with the Kyocera 7135???
    If this is the case, does anyone have experience with monaural (monophonic) headsets that cover -both- ears. Does this provide better sound quality for phone calls?
    Obviously, I wouldn't use this kind of headset while driving, due to safety considerations.

  8. #8
    Registered User hulsmsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2003
    Posts
    167
    The H61 will not work with the 7135. It is designed to be used with a amplified box for example connected to a office desk phone. It does not use a 2.5mm plug connector. I have never used a headset that covers both ears, but in theory it would be easier to hear because with both ears covered it would block out external sounds to some extent. Radioshack has a model that will fit the 7135 but i do not know how well it will work. http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=43%2D1961 all i can suggest to do is try it and return it if it does not meet your expectations.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-14-2002
    Posts
    821
    Originally posted by dowtech
    Wouldn't mono sound into both ears still be monaural sound?

    My understanding of binaural recording is that it's stereo sound, but the recording mics are placed only the same distance apart as your ears. You listen through headphones and it's claimed to be the most natural listening experience.
    Actually I think they place the mics in the ears of a dummy "head" with the same acoustic properties of a real one. There is an audible effect of sound being transmitted through your skull, jaw, etc. Try plugging your ears and tapping on your head :p There is also some delay introduced since sound travels slower through bone and flesh than air. Consider a sound source stage left. Your left ear will hear it directly. Your right ear will hear it a slight bit later being farther away from the source and then later yet (more attenuated) once it travels through your head. Different frequencies will be effected differently traveling through your head than through the air. Your brain processes all this. So for the most "natural" sound you need the mics to be placed in a "head"... maybe they were just pulling my leg.:alieneyes

    Yes mono sound into both ears would still be monaural sound and I think the original poster was refering to monaural headphones, not binaural headphones (which I don't think exist but found the subject to be interesting enough to blabber about).

    -Quick

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-14-2002
    Posts
    821
    Originally posted by hulsmsc
    Using a headset that covers both ears is not legal, kinda like using a walkman cause your stereo in your beater is not working.
    This may have changed, but the law varied from state to state a few years ago. For example in some states it was legal as long as your vehicle had dual side mirrors (like the semi I was driving ). I'm pretty sure its just flat out illegal in CA along with shades that have those little leather pieces on each side to block glare.

    -Quick

  11. #11
    Isn't that lovely? Hmmm? curwiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2003
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    17
    I learned a lot about this kind of stuff in college. Of course that was many years ago...

    Binaural isn't a type of headphone, it's a microphone technique, where two mics are used in a dummy head. You pretty much always use headphones to listen to a binaural recording 'cause loudspeakers aren't feeding your ears directly, they're reflecting sound all over the room, etc.

    Also, the sound doesn't really go through your head as there's nothing to vibrate between your ears (well, unless it's a really loud sound! ). Lower frequencies "wrap" around your head to your other ear, while higher frequencies are essentially absorbed, not reflected by your head.

    Also, remember that the other organ used to hear is... your brain. These types of recordings really fool your brain as the details of what hits each ear is captured faithfully.

    It's quite amazing actually... I remember putting on headphones and listening to a binaural recording of a haircut (well, just the scissors) and it was extremely realistic.
    -Chuck

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-18-2003
    Posts
    17
    Originally posted by hulsmsc
    The H61 will not work with the 7135. It is designed to be used with a amplified box for example connected to a office desk phone. It does not use a 2.5mm plug connector. I have never used a headset that covers both ears, but in theory it would be easier to hear because with both ears covered it would block out external sounds to some extent. Radioshack has a model that will fit the 7135 but i do not know how well it will work. http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=43%2D1961 all i can suggest to do is try it and return it if it does not meet your expectations.
    Ok, I bought this headset and have been playing with it for the last day or two. It does work well with the Kyocera 7135 and provides monosound in both ears. However, it is extremely uncomfortable to wear (very very very tight and no way to adjust it). Has anyone seen any similar headsets made by a different company??? Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts