+ Reply to Thread

Are there any PCMCIA -> USB adapaters for 7135?

Hey all,

I have a pretty old laptop (IBM thinkpad 755c) with no USB port. I've been using the 7135 1x connection with the serial port, and it's sloooow..max speed of 1.7k a second. I'm wondering if with USB it would be at least a bit faster...

I have 2 pcmcia slots on the laptop, and was wondering if there is a pcmcia -> usb 1.1 or 2 so I can plug the phone into there.

Thanks <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Sho nuff... go to www.CompUSA.com and a search for USB PCMCIA finds this item:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...596&pfp=SEARCH

I've Never tried it. Can't attest to it one way or the other. But I saw it there once.
    mg

Thanks for the help!

Hmmmm, there may be a problem. I've found a few others, and they all list either type II or type III slot.

I'm not even sure which slot type I have (long lost manual) I know I used an external CD drive to load windows on it...would this info help?

The "type" of PCMCIA slot/card basically refers to the thickness of the card and or slot. refer to:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PCMCIA.html
    mg

but wait... there's more

make sure your laptop can handle the cardbus aspect of that product... I have an old Toshiba Pentium 90 laptop that I wanted to do the same thing to... and it didn't support cardbus.
    :anger

Originally posted by Xc0m
    Thanks for the help!

Hmmmm, there may be a problem. I've found a few others, and they all list either type II or type III slot.

I'm not even sure which slot type I have (long lost manual) I know I used an external CD drive to load windows on it...would this info help?
    All laptops should have type II.
    2 x type II makes a type III.

Type I is usually built into some PDAs, some PDAs also have type II.
    Pc-Mobile
    -----------------------
    http://pc-mobile.net

Having said that, I suggest you consider changing your laptop, even for an old 2nd hand one, rather than investing add-on to your old machine which may not be of use for very much longer.

PCMCIA>USB adapter is not cheap and may not work satisfactorily. A second hand laptop, with slightly better specification than your 755, may not cost much more.
    Pc-Mobile
    -----------------------
    http://pc-mobile.net

laptop specs

From what I can tell, your laptop is a 486... and has the older 16bit pcmcia card slots...

From what I have been able to find, pcmcia -> usb cards are only in the cardbus version....which is not compatible.

If someone knows of a source for pcmcia versions... please let us know as I would buy two for two laptops I occasionally use.

Thanks,

Re: laptop specs

Originally posted by wxrman
    From what I can tell, your laptop is a 486... and has the older 16bit pcmcia card slots...

From what I have been able to find, pcmcia -> usb cards are only in the cardbus version....which is not compatible.

If someone knows of a source for pcmcia versions... please let us know as I would buy two for two laptops I occasionally use.

Thanks,
    Yeah If this laptop doesn't have USB ports its probably a 486 and not only is not going to support Card bus but most likely won't support Win98 very well, which is the earliest Windows OS (I assume your running a WinTel laptop) to support USB. functionality. I concur with pc-mobile you'll be happier with a low end laptop than trying to make this one work with USB ports!
    mg

...but if it makes you happy...

I run a pentium 90 Toshiba laptop...no usb and 16bit pcmcia slots... I have been using the serial connection with my 7135 and Unlimited Express Network(UEN) and I connect at 58-63k... works well enough but some seem to think that usb will be even faster... that would be nice... This laptop stays in my suv (under seat) and serves as an email/internet/find my way on mapquest type setup.

works for me.

anyone know if there are any usb 1.x pccards available?

Thanks,

Shawn

I think you guys mailed it on the head....I managed to load windows 98 on it, but when I go look at the pcmcia properties, I don't see any cardbus support

I only use this laptop during dead times at work to surf the web (at 256 colors, yay!) or go on msn, etc...

But if I can find a reasonably priced second hand laptop, I probably wouldn't refuse it either.

Anyone know of any particular source (site, or whatever) that sells and ships secondhand laptops? I keep ending up on these personal pages that I would never buy from

used laptops

I bought my Toshiba Pentium 90 for $89 at

www.used-pcs.com

They are here in Austin, Tx. and I literally walked in and asked for it.

They have many others at differing prices.